Le Jardin Malanga
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Trois Rivieres
Reviewed April 28, 2008

My husband and I had a wonderful time at this simple, small hotel which is located in a beautiful jungly garden. The flowers and fruit trees were delightful as was the sound of frogs at night times. Stephanie and her husband Patrick, who manage the hotel at present, were very attentive and welcoming. Patrick is from the Caribbean but trained as a chef at the Savoy and Waldorf hotels in London. He is great fun, a real character and a complete food enthusiast. Each night (apart from the one they had off) Patrick and Stephanie cooked a delicious dinner, mostly with an emphasis on Creole cookery. Breakfasts were very good too with a fresh fruit plate, cheese and ham, croissants, baguettes and excellent coffee. We stayed in one of the lodge type rooms which were simple but comfortable and clean. Towelling bathrobes, toiletries, hair dryer and even an i-pod player were supplied. The only improvement I would make if running the hotel would be to supply more comfortable furniture for the outdoor area of the lodges. The chairs weren't very comfortable and we didn't feel up to trying the hammock. A couple of sun loungers would be good.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 14, 2008

we've been there for 9 days with our 2 kids (10 and 3) and it was a very pleasant stay !
Beautifull view, fairly spacious rooms (European standard), clean and above all, very nice welcoming from Stephanie and Patrick (in particular with our kids : personnalized food). The food is really tremendous (by far the best in Basse Terre, according to our experience). The food is a mix between European and carribean style with Patrcik's own touch! (Try his "gratin de papaye verte" and his "velouté de celeri au foie gras").
The swimming pool (with marvelous view of the Saintes islands) was clean.
A very luxury bed and breakfast for those who like charming places outside well beaten tracks.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed January 6, 2008

We stayed here only one night after spending 5 nights on Ile de Saintes. The ferry service from the small islands was uncertain so we played it safe and stayed at Jardin to be ready for our flight home the next day. I had prior to our trip considered stayed here for more nights and for us that would have been a disaster.

Be prepared for:

Beautiful view in jungle like setting with lovely pool (not cleaned the morning we were there).

Fairly spartan rooms (we were in cottage not main bldg.) but pretty clean...not well maintained.

The current manager (seems like they have had many many couples over the last years. Probably a very tough job in that they do everything including preparing the meal in the evening.) The couple currently there are Stephanie and Patrick. Stephanie is very nice and welcoming. Patrick much less so. He did greet us upon arrival and told us to get our luggage and come to the office. He did not help with anything. He was offended when I indicated we did not wish to have welcome drink and would just like to go to the room. It was late in the day and I hoped to get some photos in before sunset. I will just say I don't think he is happy there (he told me as much) and he is confrontational.

The dinner is cooked by Patrick and be prepared to account for every thing that you either don't want or do not finish and anything else you do. It is not the prettiest dining room either. The people there were different and the dinner was served very very slowly and I imagine most liked it that way...the atmosphere was sort of boring so it seems longer. I am sure the cooking is good just not our style. If you do not want what they serve be prepared to take a drive to somewhere else and frankly I don't know where.

You will need a car as everyone leaves during the day. No drinks or lunch there and nothing really to do at all. Everyone took off. We had adriver picking us up for the airport and really were excited to leave.

In general it was a bed and breakfast at more hotel prices. If you like to be constantly watched (the pool right there at the office etc.) then you may like it there.The setting is very nice.

I could not recommend this to most American travelers that I know....even ones very used to traveling in out of the way places..it just left alot to be desired.

• Stayed: January 2008
2  Thank gene
Reviewed March 20, 2007

My husband and I booked a room over the American Thanksgiving holiday in 2006. Arriving in Guadeloupe was amazing. Compared to some of the other Caribbean islands, Guadeloupe is very well developed--smooth 4 lane highways in many places--and less poverty-stricken in general. However, the island is VERY FRENCH. Very few individuals speak any English at all. As is the case at La Jardin Malanga.

The property itself is gorgeous. Built on the grounds of an old coffee plantation, there are numerous citrus trees, lots of wild orchids, spice trees, and lovely tended lawns. The rooms are somewhat small, particularly those in the little cabins ("chalets") and not in as quite as good of service as one would expect given the cost. Our shower leaked and would soak our bathroom floor every time we showered.

The couple who run the place speak little English, so it was very difficult to communicate with them since I speak no French. I realize that this is a typical American complaint, but I will say that if the proprietors don't speak English, perhaps there should be written information available in English. For example, I think that there was an open honor bar at the main house. However, no one was ever around to ask about it and I didn't want to just help myself without knowing for sure. When I did catch one of the managers about and attempted to ask about a drink, they seemed a bit put off, so I gave up.

If you are staying at the hotel, I would recommend eating dinner there as well. The husband prepares a wonderful home-cooked meals from local island produce and meats each evening--the setting is very romantic. Plus, it's quite a drive to other towns and navagating the winding roads at night can be difficult. When eating out be prepared for EXTREMELY SLOW service. Apparently this is in the French tradition.

All in all, it was a lovely stay but could have been better had I spoke more French.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mannekinpis
Reviewed December 10, 2006

La Jardin Malanga is a 1927 plantation house in the hills above Trois Rivieres on the southern coast of Basse Terre.
It is beautifully restored with spectacular gardens and views across to the islands of Les Saintes. Rooms consist of several 'chalets' in the grounds, divided in two, all in attractive dark wood, with a/c and fans, everything very clean. No tv's.
The owners, Joel and Anicette are absolutely delightful, helpful and friendly.He cooks a three course meal using local ingredients most nights. It's simple but very well prepared - fish soup was sublime, with monster whole crayfish. Joel is also a dab hand with a car jack. If you must eat out, I can absolutely recommend the Fetou Kreyol at the harbour. Unforgettable coco flan.
The location is incredibly peaceful - though you can hear the road, it doesn't really spoil the atmosphere. It's not cheap. but then why should it be?

Stayed: November 2006
1  Thank annwiddecombe2016
Reviewed July 11, 2006

My husband and I spent 3 nights in this hotel and it was simply amazing!
The location is wonderful, the service perfect thanks to Nadia & Jean-Pierre, but I think they left the hotel last month...too bad.
You feel like you are alone (only 6 rooms), the food was great and the atmosphere so relaxing!
Hope one day we can go back...

• Stayed: April 2006
3  Thank Soumeya B
A TripAdvisor Member
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed January 20, 2006

My wife and I stayed here two nights and it is surpassingly beautiful. Great views of the caribbean, trees with fresh grapefruit and clementines falling outside your door, delicious breakfast and dinner, friendly and (rare for Guadeloupe) English-speaking couple that runs the place, pool that was clean and at a perfect temperature.

The shower in our room flooded the floor of the bathroom a bit, and there's only one choice -- that is, no choice -- of entree for dinner, so if you don't like what they are serving, you have to drive somewhere else. And depending on what room you have, you may have a bit of an uphill climb with your luggage from your car to your room.

But between the gardens, the view, the pool, the porch with a hammock, and the fresh fruit, this made for a perfect relaxing retreat that was well worth the price.

• Stayed: January 2006
Mahogany Hotel Residence and Spa
Hotel Fleur d'Epee
Hotel Fleur d'Epee
#2 of 23 in Le Gosier

Been to Le Jardin Malanga? Share your experiences!