“Not a typical HIE”

Ranked #11 of 16 Hotels in Mishawaka
Westminster, Maryland
“Not a typical HIE”
Reviewed June 21, 2010

I typically stay in Holiday Inn Express because I have come to rely on a clean, updated, comfortable room and amenities. The HIE in Mishawaka is not on par with many of its fellows in the chain. Mishawaka is a good stopping place on my way to and from Milwaukee, so I booked two nights--no problem with that. The problem was that after the first night, I wasn't so keen on going back! The room was shabby, there was no shampoo,etc. The halls are not air conditioned, so you enter into an oppressive, dank space. The beds are like concrete; I needed the four pillows provided just to add some comfort to a torturous mattress. There are other hotels in the South Bend area; I would recommend looking further; I'm not so sure the HIE is a bargain at $86/night.

Stayed June 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Leesburg, Florida
Reviewed June 3, 2010

I booked three days at the Mishikawa facility. Three days before arrival, I fell ill and had to cancel. Much to my surprise, the desk refused to cancel, and I found charges for three days already charged to the credit card. Apparently there is some fine print in the on-line booking program that commits you to the charge, NO CANCELLATIONS. Be careful here. I have never experienced anything like this in 40 years of travel.

Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank troywilson38
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed March 26, 2009

The staff at this hotel is incredible. The rooms are nicely appointed and the value you receive is definitely worth staying there. The kids specifically adored the pop-corn and he warm cookies.

This is a must stay at place when near Notre Dame/South Bend area. The university is about 3 miles.

Will certainly stay there again!

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank Carlos Xavier M
Portsmouth, OH
Reviewed February 12, 2008

We have had trouble finding a decent hotel in South Bend, Indiana. In 2005, we decided to try a more expensive one, since the cheaper ones got us dirty towels & bed bugs. Since our first stay at Holiday Inn Express Mishawaka, we have stayed there every time we travel to South Bend. It is worth the extra money to have a clean room, friendly staff & decent breakfast.

• Liked — Friendly staff, clean room
  • Stayed May 2006, traveled as a couple
Cincinnati
Reviewed February 10, 2008

I have to say that this Holiday Inn is very unique from the others that we have stayed at. It is similar to a lodge like setting. The entire staff was so helpful and friendly. The breakfast was great, omelets, sausage and gravy with biscuits. The fireplace in the lobby is so inviting. When we arrived, they automatically upgraded our room to a jacuzzi which was unexpected. I would recommend this hotel for anyone coming into the Mishawaka area, and they shopping is fantastic, you are completely surrounded with some of the best stores and shops.

• Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Ferro1001
Eden Prairie, MN
Reviewed August 25, 2007

I knew I would have issues with this Holiday Inn Express when, on the
phone, the person at the desk couldn't even give me directions from the Indiana Toll Road exit -- about 1 or 2 miles away -- to their site. When I arrived, the exterior had two large signs warning that cars were left in their lots at their own risk. This is the first time I've run into that warning at a hotel. More amazingly, when I asked the desk staff about the hazards of their neighborhood and the signs, she didn't even know that they were outside the building.

The hotel is acceptable, but is not in any way comparable to the norm
for the newer Holiday Inn Express locations. This is an older hotel, obviously converted with little concern to matching the newer locations' standards.

It's a two-story building with what must be wood truss construction.
You suffer from people walking and plodding down your hall, as well as those downstairs. Overall, it's incredibly noisy for those sensitive to that.

The morning breakfast suffered from abysmal attention to detail. The skim milk was "on its way," but never showed up. The selection was far below the other HI Express locations at which I stayed on my 2-week trip.

One further note....don't park on the left side of the building. There's another location's sprinklers that coated my car with well-water, hard water blotches. It took something like 20 minutes just to
get my windshield driveable for the 700-mile day I had ahead of me. They should really post warnings about this.

Obviously, the HI Express designation doesn't mean that all of these locations meet consistency standards. I was in 4 or 5 HI Express hotels over my journey, and all except this one were exceptional. Buyer beware on this location, though.

• Stayed July 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank MN2INTravel
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 7, 2006

This is your standard holiday inn express- I think it was newly remodeled. It had the nice shower heads, cinnamon rolls, etc. Basic, but clean-- it gets the job done!

• Stayed August 2005