“Needs a total overhaul”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Mishawaka, IN
Ranked #11 of 16 Hotels in Mishawaka
“Needs a total overhaul”
Reviewed November 2, 2012 via mobile

Smelled so much like smoke that I called the front desk to confirm if the room was, in fact, non-smoking. The room and amenities were medicore. It was the kind of room where I would feel more comfortable if I'd brought flip-flops. Will not return.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank swagirl921
GM_MishawakaHIE, Guest Relations at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Mishawaka, IN, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
I wanted to take this opportunity to thank you for your feedback. Here at the Holiday Inn Express Mishawaka we pride ourselves on great guest satisfaction. We want you to feel at home when staying and thank you for your choice to stay with us. Effective July of this year the entire state of Indiana implemented its smoking ban across all hotel chains. We have been working diligently to rid all of the old smoking rooms of any trace of tobacco use. I assure you that the necessary steps are being taken to ensure that all of our rooms stay smoke free as the Indiana law dictates. I wanted to personally apologies for your inconvenience and thank you again for your feedback. I would like to invite you to stay with us again the next time you are in the Mishawaka area, and hope to see you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed September 11, 2012

For the money you pay and what you get, not really worth it. The overall hotel has a rundown feel. Our room had an odor like stale smoke in it but after driving over 500 miles we were ready to unpack and pass out. We had my two dogs with us, one positive of this hotel. Around 11:30 as I was ready to go to bed, my friend turned out the light and went to sleep while I was on my laptop. suddenly I noticed my miniature schnauzer stalking something on the bed, I turned on the light, whipped the sheet back and was horrified to find a cockroach in my bed, under my sheet, with me!

My friend, who was abruptly awoken by my gasp scream of freakedoutedness, and I finally decided to ask for another room, although we were so tired we could hardly stand, much less in any shape to pack all our bags and move us and the two dogs to another room. The manager after about five minutes of hemming and hawing finally found us another room which was right across the hall from our room.

I've never had this happen to me before and it was pretty horrifying, I won't ever get into a hotel bed again without pulling all the covers out and thoroughly checking.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank cortrpr
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Mishawaka, IN, responded to this review, October 6, 2012
Dear cortrpr,

Thank you for submitting your review of our hotel. I certainly appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to our attention. We take comments such as these seriously and would like to follow up with you. I have sent you a private message in effort to obtain more information.

I look forward to hearing back from you very soon.

Lera M
Case Manager
IHGCare
Tallahassee, Florida
Reviewed August 24, 2012

We arrrived at 1 pm and were told to come back at 2:30. Fair enough.

We came back at 2:30 and were told to wait.

Our stay was uneventful, but our room was not cleaned on one day. I called the front desk and she asked if they left towels. They did. I guess that was enough for the desk to declare that my problem wasn't that important.

This hotel is average.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Illinois
Reviewed August 5, 2012

After a few days at Cedar Point and a day hitting other attractions on way back from there, we hit the town not knowing where to stay. We hit some of the discount chains and just didn't like the looks and some were booked.

By luck we went by here and stopped in. Front desk convinced me with the hot bfast, it was a good place to stay. So we did. Pool was great..kids loved it as we had it to ourselves. Hit a plzza place for carry out and watched opening of Olympics in clean, quiet room.

Then it hit...my son got sick ALL OVER the bathroom. Front desk didn't bat an eye...got me rags, disinfectant, deodorizer...and in quick time, we got that room clean and room aired out. Just a upset stomach we guess as he ate like a pig at their bfast...cinnamon rolls, sausage bisquits and gravy, cereal, fruit, juices, toast, scrambled eggs...truly one of the better hotel breakfasts we've had. If ordered at a restaurant, would have cost us easily $30+.

Front desk staff very helpful in advising on local pizza place (began with B) and how to get to Notre Dame for some campus sightseeing.

Room Tip: Like any hotel, make sure room doesn't face road or parking lot. Ours backed to a green area so...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed July 18, 2012

We stayed at this Holiday Inn Express this past weekend for an event at Notre Dame. There was a large group of us, and I believe we reserved most of the available rooms at this hotel. However, from the moment I arrived I could not shake the feeling that we were not welcomed there as a group. Having arrived earlier then posted check-in time we were told we needed to wait until the 3pm check-in to get room assignments, they would not check us in and provide a courtesy phone call when the room was ready as I have experienced at most other hotels in the past. To top it off, some other members of the group traveling with small children were not allowed to use the pool facilities while waiting for the 3 pm check-in! Of course you can imagine what happened at 3 pm-all the guests flooded the one person checking people in and there was a line stretching all the way through the lobby! Once checked in the rooms were fine-clean and spacious, but if you are traveling in a group they don't seem to want to accommondate you, and the general manager was very less then friendly towards us-a simple good morning would have sufficed instead of the constant scowl that was directed towards us every time we made eye contact. To top it all off we got reprimanded for noise (never heard a peep on first floor!), warned that children under 18 were not to go ANYWHERE in the hotel without and adult, and also warned that the girls were not to use the towels to remove make-up! All in all, I am sure you would be fine making a single reservation-this is obviously what they prefer, but if you have a group I would check elsewhere. Personally, my priority rewards card just went in the shredder-I will stick to Marriott!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
travelgalindiana, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Mishawaka, IN, responded to this review, July 20, 2012
Good Afternoon,
I wanted to take this time to respond to your comments, by first aplogizing if anyone here made you feel less then welcome. In your reference to the comment about checking in early, we are unable to check someone into a room, if our guests the evening before are still paying for their room until noon, then we need to have our staff clean the rooms. This was a very busy week for the hotel, and we always try to do the best we can to check someone in earlier then the 3pm checkin, but unfortunatly, that was not the case this week due to the high demand. We have been in a drought situation and only provided the makeup remover pads to help the girls, as well as the water conserving at the hotel as well, I don't beleive anyone stated not to use the towels. We have had several compliments from the other AYOP members on how they enjoyed their stay, so I apologize if you felt unwelcomed. We have already been receiving requests for next year from those that stayed here this past week. Thank you again for taking the time to complete a survey, and we hope that you will give us a try again next year!
Birmingham, Michigan
Reviewed July 15, 2012

This past weekend I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express for a wedding. When I first checked in, the front desk employee was very short. The employee did not have any information or snacks usually provided by the wedding party for out of town guests. The day of the wedding (next day) I went to the front desk to see if there was any information about transportation to and from the wedding as this was provided to us. Donna (I believe) gave me a bag that was supposed to be given to me at check in. This bag also provided the details about the wedding. If I had not gone back to the desk, I might have missed the wedding bus. I also had a reservation for only two nights, but the hotel had me for 3. If I had not saw this mistake on my bank account, I would have been charged another night.

The hotel is very nice and Donna was extremely helpful. She helped us out and apoligized multiple times even though it was not her fault.

I would stay again but it seems due to one employee, I had a bad experience. I did write a note lettting the hotel know about her error.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
travelgalindiana, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Mishawaka, IN, responded to this review, July 17, 2012
I wanted to take this time to apologize regarding the communication error from your stay over the weekend. I would like to say, our hotel does not offer any type of transporation, so I am not sure what the issue was on that incident, but I would like to speak to you directly regarding the other issue you had at the hotel. Feel free to contact me at the hotel to speak more about this concern at 574-277-2520. Again, I apologize you had a bad experience and I would like to try to make this right with you. Thank you
Manning, South Carolina
Reviewed July 4, 2012

the hotel looked dated from the outside ,but quite the opposite inside, rooms was clean and Hotel Staff was very good, breakfast good,room clean and pet friendly,here on business will stay again

Room Tip: Pet Friendly
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Mishawaka, IN, responded to this review, July 5, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to comment on the hotel and the staff! We pride ourselves in making sure each guest is comfortable and taken care of. I believe that from your response we were able to do that for you. We hope to see you again when your travels bring you back to Mishawaka! Have a wonderful summer