“When BED BUGS are a good thing!”

Residence Inn South Bend Mishawaka
Ranked #4 of 16 Hotels in Mishawaka
Reviewed September 9, 2010

I was bitten by bed bugs during my stay at the Residence Inn in Mishawaka. I was glad they weren't fleas, but let me explain. I woke up the first morning with a few bites on my legs. I really didn't know if they were fleas or bed bugs. Worried about BOTH I took all my clothes and put them back in my suitcase and placed it up high. We had a very hectic schedule and were gone most of the next day and only came back to sleep the second night. After leaving and talking to others I decided to call the manager to discuss the bed bug problem.

She was going to check the room. She called the next day and said she saw no evidence of the bed bugs when she looked at the bed linens. Either did I all night. Pulling up the sheets and looking. But in the morning I had a total of 21 bites on both legs. The linens were very nice, and white, although the mattress was too soft and lumpy. I asked her to promise me that she would throw that mattress out so no one would have to go through what I did. She did not. The only time I was not wearing socks and long pants (it was a cold September weekend) was when I was sleeping. So please tell me when I could have gotten bitten by anything else? My doctor said they had the characteristics of bed bug bites, and gave me lotion and anti-inflammatory to ease the pain and itching. (The ones on my feet hurt when I walked)

When I got home I left my suitcase in the garage and slowly brought in clothes to wash in very hot water. Even the clothes I didn't wear, I washed. It was NOT the way I wanted to spend an entire afternoon. It doesn't look like I brought any home, and it ended up not being fleas (I went to my doctor) so I'd rather have bed bug bites than a flea infestation.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
6  Thank GloriasTravels
There are newer reviews for Residence Inn South Bend Mishawaka

Reviewed July 31, 2010

When I booked this hotel, I expected to find an older room with average accommodations and situated away from everything. Fortunately, my expectations were exceeded: the hotel was in the middle of an active community, close to many restaurants and shopping options. Additionally, the room was very comfortable and clean with contemporary accommodations and features.

Cost: I'm a Priceline junkie, so I rarely pay full price for a hotel. And although I typically save a considerable amount off retail, I only saved about $20 off this hotel's advertised rate ($90/nt vs $109/nt). Upon arrival, it was clear why: there was a baton-twirling championship (of all things) being held at Notre Dame and the hotel was close to capacity. I don't think the value was necessarily worth the advertised rate, but I'm a confessed cheapskate, so I'm probably biased.

Staff: The staff we met were very courteous during check-in and check-out. We didn't have any problems, so I can't attest to their customer service in detail. But after realizing the hotel was filled with screaming pre-teen girls, I asked the front desk staff if they could tuck us away from the hubub; she claimed she didn't have the ability to do so directly, but the room we were given was very quiet, so who knows.

Public Areas: Like most/all Residence Inns, the hotel offers complimentary breakfast options in a large common area downstairs. This common area, including the pool, was totally overrun with screaming kids and their parents. In fact, they cordoned off all public spaces with signs declaring "Private Party." I don't know if this was approved by the hotel or not. We didn't use any of these features, so we weren't disappointed. But had we been interested in breakfast or swimming, I'm sure we would've had a tough time gaining access. It's also important to note the public area is just down the hall from guest rooms. If you're situated on the first floor during one of these large conference/athletic events, you'll likely experience considerable noise pollution.

Room: The room contains a decent sized kitchenette, with a full-size fridge and more cabinetry than you'll ever need. The bed was very large and comfortable, and the chaise lounge offered a nice place to relax and read or browse the complimentary wireless internet. The vanity area is somewhat small, and along with the bathroom, is located right next to the bed.

Parking: The hotel offers complimentary parking, but has far fewer spaces than needed for the guestrooms. Consequently, people park all over the lot, on curbs and the grass, as well as the street. If you arrive late at night, you'll have a difficult time finding room.

Summary: I would definitely stay here again. It was comfortable and convenient. I see potential for customer service issues, but we didn't experience any during our stay.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 17, 2010

From the well trained, friendly and helpful staff to the spacious, new and very clean rooms - this is one of the nicest hotels and by far the nicest Residence Inn I´ve ever been.
In addition you´ll find everything you need in a one mile radius. Shops, restaurants, bars (try Buffalo Wild Wings and Bar Louie!) and all kinds of services - in a modern and safe area.

I´ve stayed in South Bend downtown before, it´s absolutely worth the 5 minute drive to Mishawaka to stay in this hotel/area instead. This is my new preferred hotel for the South Bend / Mishawaka area.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed December 19, 2009

Located conveniently to dozens of restaurants and mall shopping, the rooms in this new Residence Inn look like the pictures in the ads. Decorated in burgundy and tan tones, the rooms feature comfortable furniture, a well-appointed kitchen and a great bed. The room was spotless with a much-appreciated delivery of the morning newspaper to the door, something most Resident Inns don't do. In the dryness of winter, would have appreciate some hand lotion in the room. Larger than usual pool and exercise room. Overall, a great stay.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed September 2, 2009

These are fully equipped apartments. Granite counters. Stainless fridge, microwave, dishwasher and halogen range. Granite shower. Wednesday evening Manager's free buffet
with Swedish meatballs, noodles, variety of cheeses, salad, celery and carrot sticks, wine, beer, or other beverage - a full meal, complementary. Other nights have other features. Our room is beautifully furnished with living room furniture, working desk, dining table, very large flat screen TV - and on and on and on - more than I dreamed of. Priceline accepted my bid of $55 and we have one of the most elegant rooms I've ever stayed in. If travel brings you to South Bend this is the place to stay!!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 29, 2009

This is a building of effeciency apartments, designed for people seeking "long term stay." The building is one of the "put it up fast" kind of buildings that pops up almost overnight. It is generally a poor quality building, built on the cheap. The effeciency apartments are described as having "retro decor." The decor is decidedly not calming or soothing. The decor is jarring to the sensibilities. Decor is bright red and yellow, with some green trim. It is ugly. My experience was the the floors in both the kitchen area and the bathroom were dirty and needed to be mopped. The floor in the kitchen area was so dirty that my bare feet stuck to the floor in some areas, as if someone had spilled orange juice or soda pop and not properly cleaned the floor after the spill. The one word that comes to mind when I think of the room is "ugly."

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 2, 2008

We checked in on a Sunday and stayed 6 nights. The hotel is new, beautiful and very cozy. We stayed in a one bedroom suite and couldn't have asked for more. Two flat screen tv's, a gas grill for BBQ and exercise room with individual tv's on each machine. The laundry room has a flat screen tv.

We are from Hawaii and visited my daughter at Bethel College. The staff was wonderful and most accomodating. The lobby has a computer and printer so you can catch up on email, check in and print your airline tickets online. Breakfast was great and appreciated.

If planning a stay during college football season, WATCH OUT!
The prices are mind blowing and we decided to stay in Elkhart for our first 2 nights because $339 per night isn't in my budget.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank FlyinHawaiians