“Great staff”

Residence Inn South Bend Mishawaka
Ranked #4 of 16 Hotels in Mishawaka
Reviewed August 21, 2013

For our 25th anniversary we did a road trip through Indiana, Illinois and Ohio, we stopped at this hotel twice for an overnight, stay coming and going to Chicago, I wish we would have stayed longer here. Our room both times was excellent. It was clean and quiet and very comfortable. Inashia checked us in the first time we came here and she was so friendly and pleasant. To our surprise when we came back to stay on our way to Ohio she remembered us. She was very nice and welcoming; she made us feel like home. The breakfast was good, but the most surprising thing to us is that when we left this hotel and went to the Allerton to stay they had the same breakfast but with the charge of $18 per person so that made us acknowledge our breakfast was “GREAT”. This is an excellent hotel it really added to a wonderful experience for us both.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Melinda K, General Manager at Residence Inn South Bend Mishawaka, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2013

Thank you Alex for your nice review. Our goal is to make sure every guest staying here has the best possible hotel experience, and would love to see you again as our guest!

Reviewed August 16, 2013

Spent the weekend in town for a wedding. The hotel overall is a solid 5. A great value at $107 w/AAA). We travel extensively and this is the cleanest hotel we've ever stayed at. Our studio suite was spacious and well laid out. The full kitchen was fantastic. The comfortable bed even better. Breakfast was included, your average fare with a nice selection of hot and cold options.

Our only complaint (and the reason for the 4 out of 5 rating) was housekeeping. We exited our room shortly before 1:00 pm. The housekeeper was standing outside our door when we left. We let her know we were leaving, would be back later that evening, asked if she would please clean our room while we were gone. She smiled and nodded yes. Fast forward to 10:00 pm that evening. Room had never been touched.

My husband went to the front desk (Beverly you were kind and helpful... thank you) where we discovered the housekeeper spoke little or no English and likely didn't understand a word we said. Beverly offered to send someone up but we were exhausted and just wanted to go to bed. We schlepped towels, toiletries, coffee, etc up to our fourth floor room and crashed. Had housekeeping tended to the room as requested, I would have rated this property a solid 5.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Melinda K, General Manager at Residence Inn South Bend Mishawaka, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2013

Dear SCS,

Thank you for your comment and your time to post about the hotel on Tripadvisor! We talked to our housekeepers about this issue in order to avoid it in the future. As language barrier is a common issue in hotels, we asked them to direct the Guests to the front desk when unsure of the request. Our apologies again for this issue!
We hope to see you and serve you as our much appreciated Guest again in the near future!

Reviewed August 12, 2013

I was thoroughly impressed with this Residence Inn. My stay was for two weeks and my time was very stressful since I was there to visit my son who was in the hospital. From the time I checked in and Andy helped me get my luggage to my room and into my room to the day I checked out I looked forward to returning to my room in the evening. The king 1 bedroom I had was immaculate, the furnishings modern. Everything was provided for me, the full kitchen, microwave, dishwasher, refrigerator, cook top, all the utensils, dishes, pots, pans. There was a little 'Welcome'bag when I arrived. All the employees were helpful and friendly, especially Andy. A hot breakfast every morning (of real food) and the managers social (a light dinner) three nights a week I have never seen anywhere else. They will even go grocery shopping for you if you leave a list of what you want and they will deliver it to your room. A pool, hot tub, workout room.....who could ask for anything more? My schedule did not allow me to take advantage of all their amenities but they were there if I wanted to. And the price was more than reasonable. I have stayed in places not half as nice and been charged twice as much. I just can't say enough good things about this place. When I return again to see my son, who is currently still in a rehab hospital, I will definitely return to this place on every trip.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed August 12, 2013

This hotel is great, clean hotel and in a nice location to get around the shopping and such offered in this area and the hotel is very well priced. I will always stay here when I come to town the rooms are perfect.

Reviewed August 12, 2013

We were in town for one night. I picked this hotel due to the price. (We usually stay down the road at a courtyard.) From now on, we will always stay at this hotel. Super nice people. The room was really big, plenty of room, clean, quiet..
Had a small issue with the remote not working. But the front desk was awesome over such a small inconvience. So we had to get up to change the channel, no big deal.
The free breakfast was really good. Much better than I expected. Free internet was nice too.
Again, we visit Mishawaka a few times a year and this is now "our" hotel:)

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Room was just O K. We've stayed at quite a few Residence Inns and this one was not my fav. Biggest Issue was the Room location was extremely far from the only elevator on the property. Quicker to use stairs but husband has a bad leg. Seemed like public areas and hallways had been updated but not so much the rooms. Furniture a little worn. Used points so can't complain too much.

Room Tip: Ask for room close to elevator.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Melinda K, General Manager at Residence Inn South Bend Mishawaka, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2013

Dear nvky,

Thank you very much for your review.
Our ultimate goal is to have return customers and if you used points, that shows your loyalty to Marriott, what we most certainly appreciate. I apologize you had a long walk to your room, and the condition of the room wasn't to your expectation. We are due to renovation January of 2014, so would like to invite you back to see how much we "renewed"! Have a fantastic summer!

Reviewed July 8, 2013

This is a really nice hotel a couple of miles off the turnpike but well worth the extra 5 minutes to get there. One of the worst parts about traveling and trying to get rest on the road is finding someplace that is quiet and peaceful close to your route. This is one of those places. The staff is extremely helpful and friendly. The rooms are clean and well maintained but most of all - they are very quiet. No outside noise, big comfy rooms and beds and a nice hot breakfast to send you on your way.

I will be back whether visiting the area or just passing through.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Dear Robert V,

Thank you very much for your time to leave a review. Our team appreciates the nice comments, and we are looking forward to serve you again in the near future as our guests!