“Very good, but not great.”

Hyatt Place South Bend/Mishawaka
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Mishawaka
GreenLeadersBronze level
Oneonta, New York
“Very good, but not great.”
Reviewed January 31, 2013

After being blown away by how comfortable the bed was at the Shelton, CT Hyatt House, we were excited to try this Hyatt instead of our usual place in Elkhart. While everything was nice, clean, and modern, we were a bit disappointed by two things. First, the bed was not even close to the same. It wasn't bad, just no better than you'd expect at any other decent hotel. The second was that the clerk and staff were not particularly friendly. Nobody was rude, but it just seemed that they were doing what the job required and nothing more. The perfunctory attitude was the same for both the evening staff when we arrived, and the morning staff when we departed.

I have to give this hotel a very good rating because it is clean, modern, has nice amenities and rooms. I will not be returning, however. The hotel we normally stay at in Elkhart is just as comfortable, more convenient from I80/90, less expensive, and FAR more friendly.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank FATMAN C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Naperville, Illinois
Reviewed January 29, 2013

Stayed at the Hyatt Place South Bend for one night with my wife and kids and was very happy. Great Business type hotel with large clean spacious room. The large flatscreen had a panel for multiple inputs, the king size bed was comfortable and the kids had a large pull out sofa. Mini fridge in the room.

There is a small pool that the kids enjoyed and a nice breakfast in the lobby in the morning which was included. There also is a small bar next to the check in desk, they sell drinks, but I don't think many people actually hang out there.

Good value, definitely a good stop.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Wordman113
Saint Paul
Reviewed January 22, 2013

First impression was that the hotel itself, was nice and in a great location with lots of resaturants around. I walked in around 4pm and the front desk man, said hello and that was it. He saw my ID and saw I was from Minnesota,, but didnt ask me any questions about the trip, or make any small talk. I figured he had other things on his mind, so I got my room card, thanked him, and went to my room. The room was great. The layout was wonderful and it felt comfortable. Free internet was a big plus.Im a smoker so had to smoke outside, which seemed a problem at first, for a guy on the cleaning crew. It was raining outside and I had left some tracks on his mopped floor. I could hear his sighing as I walked to my room, with him following behind me with a mop. Kind of made me feel like I was imposing on his day. I ran into the desk guy several more times during my stay. he never greeted me, or asked me how my stay was. If he had, he would have found out the heat wasnt working in my room. The temperature stayed at 70 degress, so I didnt complain I couldnt even get a good morning from him, as I went to the front desk to fill my coffee, or get some of the fine, free breakfast items. The one shining example, and my impeccable customer service award goes to Christine. Christine worked on the overnight shift and greeted me, everytime she saw me. She stopped and said good morning to me, and asked how I was doing, even while she was in the middle of a conversation with the front desk guy mentioned earlier, who, at the time, was standing right next to her and still said nothing,. He just gave me a look so to speak .Christine asked me if I had enough to eat at breakfast and even offered to take my dirty plate for me. Christine has her act together when it comes to great customer service and I think should be recognized by Hyatt for her geniune hospitality and warm demeanor. I even stopped Christine in the hallway, and thanked her for her wonderful service. I didnt have much contact with the other staff, but the room cleaning crew did an awesome job, the one time they serviced my room during my 3 day stay. I had to call the front desk to get coffee packs for the in room coffee, because on day 3, the room cleaners never stopped in. The rest of the hotel was nice and clean. I would definitly reccomend this hotel, because of its location and quality of the room, for the price.But genuine customer service, does not appear to be a top priority at this particular Hyatt, but, If you are there, stop by and say hi to Christine while you are having breakfast, she knows that the customer is king, and wont treat you lousy, like the other front desk guy. I dont know his name, and didnt bother to ask him.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Tony A
San Diego, California
Reviewed January 15, 2013

My husband and I stayed here on our way out East. The rooms are quite large for a property of this caliber, with a large comfy couch, a separate work station, and an alcove for the bathroom sink/closet. We had a room on the 4th floor that was removed from foot traffic and was absolutely quiet for sleeping.

The hotel is in a development of many restaurants, etc., for dinner or shopping. The pool looked standard, and their exercise room had a treadmill, elliptical, bike, yoga things, and a small weight rack. I used the treadmill without incident -- they even provided headphones for you if you forgot yours.

The only problem we encountered was that the windows were not insulated very well, and the bed is right next to the window. On the day that we were there, there was a fierce wind that kept sneaking through the cracks and made the room quite cold. The heater was right under the window though, so we cranked it up and it made the room liveable.

Breakfast was ok, the "sandwiches" they have are so-so, but they did have dollar pancakes that were pretty tasty. They will give you a "to-go" bag, which I thought was nice if you're short on time.

All in all it was a nice, inexpensive stop on our journey.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Rochester, Minnesota
Reviewed December 12, 2012

We pricelined and got a great deal for a 1 night stop-over. When we arrived in the lobby, it was not obvious where the front desk was located-it was adjacent to the bar/snack counter, and looked like a check-out counter. The first room we were assigned had the lingering smell of cigarette smoke. We went to tell the front desk about it right away so that we would not get a $250 cleaning charge, and they simply gave us another room. The free hot breakfast was very good with lots of variety.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank pmhb1
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed November 29, 2012

I'm close to switching my allegiance from Marriott properties to Hyatt - which has continued to impress me with its Hyatt Place properties. These are on the same level as Marriott's Courtyards - only far better. The rooms are so spacious and I love how they have the separate den and sleeping areas. They have solid beds and showers and an excellent vanity layout. The only nitpick I have is the small closet, but I can get over that really quickly thanks to all of the good things. This property, like the others I've stayed at, is in excellent shape and looks brand new though I have no idea if it is or not. The dining options here are superior to any other hotel on this level (not to imply they are super extensive but they are way better than most). Specific to this property, it is adjacent to many other dining options (fast food and nicer places) plus lots of retail just minutes away and it's just a few miles to Notre Dame's campus. This is, by far, the best property at which I've stayed in the South Bend area. Definitely recommend, especially for the price.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank ellen0206
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed November 25, 2012

Wow, one of the highlights of a summer road trip. Beds were FABULOUS. TV was bigger than my car. Pool was very clean and accommodated a lot of happy folks (it was over 100+ degrees outside!). Added bonus we could see two sets of fire works from our room on 4th of July. Great location for access to town, a little off the track for the Interstate though. But the luxury of this place for the price was amazing. Breakfast was way above average. The bar and snack counter after hours was kind of lame. It was out of food twice when we ordered. (at not that late of an hour, 7-8 p.m.) and charged you for every thing on your tray... no extras or anything. Only put up with it cuz of convenience.... there are several restaurants close, but when it is 100+ and you have to drag tired family out to get food, the idea of an overpriced sandwich that has been sitting there for 12 hours at 3x the price of nearby options will do. My only other gripe was the front desk staff was a bit indifferent and really didn't go out of their way at any point to exemplify themselves. Bored college kids or something? Not sure, but they seemed to be busier tapping away at computer and not smiling, than taking care of live persons in front of them. But, seriously this is a GREAT place to stay--a 5 star room for 3 star price.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mishawaka
Best Western Plus Mishawaka Inn
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel South Bend
Hilton Garden Inn South Bend
Hilton Garden Inn South Bend
#3 of 29 in South Bend

Been to Hyatt Place South Bend/Mishawaka? Share your experiences!