“Costumer SERVICE begins with the customer.”

Varsity Clubs of America
Ranked #4 of 16 Hotels in Mishawaka
Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

My wife booked a room through our time share(they are not worth the money). She chose this location because it was central between Indianapolis, Ann Arbor and Chicago. When we arrived we were not given the category of room we booked. When she called to complain the desk asked her if you said anything on the first day. No we didn't we were .busy traveling around the first three days. The desk then said "I'll see what I can do". Clearly unacceptable. Lucky my wife went straight to the manager, Keith Raven, who knows that costumer service starts with the customer. this young man not only corrected the mistake (theirs not ours) he went above and beyond. I can't speak for anyonelse on staff but if you stay here and have a problem, you should speak to Mr. Raven.

• Stayed: June 2013
diamondresorts, Manager at Varsity Clubs of America, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2013

Thank you for your review. We are pleased that we were in a position to assist you and provide you with accommodation that satisfied your requirements. We would like to take this opportunity, however to advise that in order to be able to best assist our guests, we always encourage them to contact us as soon as they encounter any issues. We hope we will have another chance to be of service to you in the future.

Reviewed June 16, 2013

This place was awesome to work with. We had a block of rooms and the hotel handled individual team reservations. As the tournament times changed, so did reservations and they were easy to work with. This hotel has a BBQ outdoor which we took full advantage of! And the lobby area is perfect for team gatherings. The hotel is seeped in Notre Dame history. Walking the halls is equivalent to walking through a museum. The rooms were spacious and clean. Cons include no complimentary breakfast and the sports bar wasn't open. Most amenities are closed at 10:30. They really do cater to teams so they are curfew oriented and mindful of group needs.

Room Tip: There really isn't a bad room.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
diamondresorts, Manager at Varsity Clubs of America, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2013

We are glad to have been able to deliver you the standard of accommodation and care you and your team expected and that you found our personnel helpful and the resort facilities suited your requirements. We hope that you will choose to stay with us again in the future!

Reviewed June 10, 2013

We chose Varsity Clubs as a place to relax, see Chicago, enjoy local attractions and to celebrate our silver wedding anniversary. On contacting the hotel management, prior to our arrival (with an idea to surprise my wife) they couldn't do enough and nothing was too much trouble. All sorts of ideas and information was sent to me in the weeks leading up to our departure and everything was set up well in advance. On arrival, my wife was absolutely over the moon with all the extras, the flowers/gifts/wine and genuine friendliness of ALL the staff (from management, reception, catering and housekeeping to passing staff/maintenance guys) - this was a real FIRST in all our many years of holiday travel. It made our two week vacation the joyous occasion it was meant to be and with their help and friendliness, it made me look great too - I felt real sense of pride as it was 'mission accomplished' with flying colours!! THANK YOU everyone - you made a middle aged couple very happy, give yourselves a pat on the back (especially Anne/Lia and Tammy). :-)

On to the hotel and location... it is on quite a busy road, but the rooms are well soundproofed, especially on the upper floors. There is maintenance work going on, but nothing too intrusive and you can see they are updating and modernising the place quietly and efficiently. The room we had (one bed deluxe) was very comfortable, but we had a feeling it was set up mainly for short stay guests as a two ring hob, microwave oven and toaster were a little inadequate for two weeks self catering (we are not in a position to be able to eat out every night) - the rest of the equipment was very good quality, nice big fridge and dishwasher too. I expect the larger rooms have more cooking facilities as we have seen in other resorts, when we've travelled with family and guests. The breakfast could do with a little more variety too, again pointing to shorter rather than longer stay set up. Occasionally, the place is overrun with kids - but we didn't find this too much of a problem being on the upper floor.

In the surrounding region, we recommend the Studebaker museum and James Oliver house (same place, South Bend), the Air Zoo (Kalamazoo), South Bend chocolate Company, Holland State Park and Windmill (MI), St. Joseph (Lake Michigan), Millenium Park, Navy Pier and John Hancock Tower (Chicago).

Room Tip: Recommend upper floor room and tip for the hotel: a convection microwave oven in any rooms with just...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BigRic_Cyprus
Reviewed May 17, 2013

This is my second stay at the Varsity Clubs of America and again I wasn't disappointed. The staff are all top-notch with the exception of one person (I will get to that later).

First off I arrived late after a long, slow drive from Chicago O'Hare due to the heavy rains and traffic in Chicago so I was a little upset that I was checking in so late. Since check-in is at 4, I was hoping to get my money's worth and be in my hotel room sooner. However, when I got the to hotel, check-in was quick and was welcomed with a smile. I felt better and had a good sleep.

The next morning I left to help my daughter move out of her dorm so I was gone the whole day. When my daughter and I returned to the hotel exhausted and hungry, the card to open up our hotel room would not work. I walked down to the front desk and was given a new key, which didn't work either. Within minutes maintenance (Rick and another maintenance guy. I'm sorry to say I didn't get his name) was at my room to try to fix the problem. They were very apologetic and made the situation better which included buying me a much needed drink. My daughter and I had an enjoyable evening just hanging out and resting.

As for the one person that did make us feel bad was the lady in charge of the breakfast. My mistake I thought breakfast was over at 11, but found out it was over at 10:30. When my daughter and I went down for breakfast on got there at 10:33, the lady rudely informed us that breakfast was over at 10:30 and she needed to clear away the food. She then turned around and counted her money and was rushing around. Being me, I apologized and told her I thought breakfast was over at 11 and chuckled, but she didn't respond. I then asked her if it was okay just to grab a coffee and some danishes and she seemed annoyed but did offer us a to-go box which we took. I know it was my fault we were late, but she could have been a little more accommodating and she set the mood for the rest of the day.

To the rest of the Varsity Club staff: You are great! Thank you for a wonderful stay.

P.S. The rooms are very clean and the beds are so comfortable. Thanks again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
diamondresorts, Manager at Varsity Clubs of America, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2013

Thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention. Our mission at Varsity Clubs of America South Bend, is to deliver our commitment to excellence to each guest who stays with us, and we regret hearing about the displeasure you had with a staff member here. Our management and staff take pride in being responsive and accommodating and it is not our standard of service what you have experienced with this team member. We will certainly address your concerns with our food and beverage team internally to improve our consistency in these areas. We are pleased to hear that despite this you had an overall enjoyable stay. We would be thrilled to have you stay with us again as our valued guest and hope that you will consider us again the future.

Reviewed May 13, 2013

This was a timeshare exchange for us. We were upgraded to a 2 bedroom unit. The units were clean and nicely decorated. Beds were comfortable. The only furniture that needed upgraded was the sofa, which was very uncomfortable to sit in and very worn...I can only imagine what it would be like to sleep on the sofa bed. The staff were very nice. We contacted maintenance once because all 3 of our TV remotes did not work and we got new remotes within minutes. Mishawaka is a very quiet area minutes from South Bend and Notre Dame. Not much else to do in area. Chicago about 2 hrs away. Lakeshores National Park about 1 hour away where you will see Mt Baldy a moving sand dune. We left the resort early to visit Lake Geneva, Wisconsin about 2-3 hrs away and while we were there went zip lining at Lake Geneva Canopy Tours which was a lot of fun. Mishawaka has many grocery stores and restaurants within minutes of resort. If you're looking for souvenirs or gift shops forget about it!

Room Tip: I would think higher rooms are better since you do hear noises between the floors.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
diamondresorts, Manager at Varsity Clubs of America, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2013

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about your stay here at Varsity Clubs of America, South Bend Chapter. We were delighted to hear that our accommodations, amenities, customer service, and location met, if not exceeded your expectations. In regard to your comments about your unit’s sofa, please be aware that we are planning an extensive refurbishment project this year. One of the components of this project is replacing approximately 25% of our units’ living room couches and chairs. A majority of our guests love the fact that we are very close to the University of Notre Dame campus. Your comments and tips about nearby attractions are much appreciated. Your recommendation is sincerely appreciated. We look forward to seeing you again the next time your travels take you the South Bend-Mishawaka area.

Reviewed March 28, 2013

We we arrived with our youth sport group, the room had a light hanging from the ceiling by the wires, we stayed for 2 nights and it was never even looked at by the staff. We were told that the maintancence guy was gone for the day, every time we asked about it. The pool and hot tub were filthy, with hair and black stuff floating around in them and they were never cleaned the 2 days we were there, so we didn't get to use them. The side door that was supposed to be locked to non-guests did not work, anyone could walk in the side door and the door alarm continually beeped our entire stay and it was never fixed. There was never a manager on duty to discuss any issues with. One night we were without electricity for 8 hours and did not have hot showers in the morning. I would never stay here again -it was the worst hotel I have ever stayed in! No one at the front desk ever even offered as much as an apology for the issues we had. The only comment was "We were just really busy". I have tried to call and email the manager and no call back, and my email keeps bouncing back as non-deliverable.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank Jennifer A
diamondresorts, Manager at Varsity Clubs of America, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2013

We are very sorry to read about the disappointment following your stay at Varsity Clubs of America South Bend and would like to assure you that this is not the usual standard of service or accommodation we strive to offer and we apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced. Of course this has been addressed with our reception and maintenance teams. If you wish to discuss this issue further please feel free to contact us directly through our website.
Should you decide to give us another chance we are certain we would be able to provide you with a faultless stay, we wish you all the best on your future travels.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

We purchased a special through Living Social and found it to be an exceptional value. We were there two week nights in mid-March. Our room was spacious and well equipped (including a kitchenette). The fitness room and hot tub were nice. The front desk staff were very helpful and pleasant. Breakfast was a little sparse, but sufficient and offered some variety. We enjoyed exploring the South Bend/Mishawaka area.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Anne L, Director of Sales at Varsity Clubs of America, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2013

Thank you very much for your feedback.
Anne Lederer
Sales Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mishawaka
Hyatt Place South Bend/Mishawaka
Inn at Saint Mary's
Inn at Saint Mary's
#2 of 30 in South Bend
Best Western Plus Mishawaka Inn
Residence Inn South Bend Mishawaka
Comfort Suites University Area
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel South Bend

Been to Varsity Clubs of America? Share your experiences!