“Great hotel close to Notre Dame”

Varsity Clubs of America
Ranked #5 of 16 Hotels in Mishawaka
Reviewed April 22, 2012

I just can't say enough good things about this hotel. I arrived a little before check-in, but the lady at the front desk allowed me to check-in. She also asked why I was in the area and I mentioned just to look around campus at Notre Dame. She immediately mentioned they offer public tours at 10am and 3pm. Since it was about 2pm when I checked in...she suggested I try the 3pm tour. She supplied a map of the location of the tour and other useful local information.

As far as the room goes..I had a one bedroom suite. The living area was separate from the bedroom and there was a door that actually would allow it to be totally separated out. There was a pull-out couch in the living room as well as a flat screen tv and then also the kitchen area which included a stove, microwave, fridge, etc. The bedroom was good size and also had a flat screen on the wall.

The hotel was a short drive to campus (10 minutes maybe) and also close to shopping and restaurants. Couldn't ask for a more convenient location.

My only small complaint is the $250 deposit on the room. They place a hold on your credit card until it is verified no damage was done to the room. This is done for protection for the hotel as I am sure there have been room parties during Notre Dame game weekends and probably damage done! Either way...just a small inconvenience for such a great hotel. I also really liked the sports theme and the lobby area was great. I wasn't there on a game weekend...but I can imagine it is a great atmosphere.

Room Tip: No continental breakfast is supplied. There is a Meijer grocery store just to the north of the hotel...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
Anne L, Director of Sales at Varsity Clubs of America, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2012

Hello,

Thank you for the lovely response. I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay!

We are currently working on providing breakfast in the near future.

Have a great week and we appreciate your loyalty to Varsity Clubs/Diamond Resorts.

Anne Lederer, Sales Manager

Reviewed April 13, 2012

Had the best time. My wife and I wanted a do nothing vacation, and we found it here in Mishawaka. Don't get me wrong, there is plenty of shopping, places to eat, fun things to do and sem but the pace is your own, from a trip to the Amish Shipshawana area, to a day trip to Chicago, a stroll through Notre Dame campus (beautiful campus full of history) or local movie theaters, skating rinks and ice cream parlors, or just a relaxing trip to the resort's pool and spa.

We can't wait to go next spring and will be taking people with us, The staff is friendly ans the room touch ups are nice, it was Greg to come back to your room to have your bed made, fresh towels and dishes washed....I give them a A+ in the customer service department.

Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed March 26, 2012

I'm responsible for booking the rooms for my son's sports team and we recently all stayed at the Varsity Club for two nights. I've never had so many parents approach me to rave about the hotel I had found for the team. We stayed in a one bedroom deluxe that was very spacious and immaculately clean. The kitchen was stocked with cuisanart appliances. The bathroom area has a double vanity and an extra large bathtub. Everything from check-in to check-out was fantastic. The weather was very warm when we were there so they had the retractable roof open above the pool. The hot tub and pool were both great. Ken, the bartender, was a delight and bent over backwards to make sure our group was happy. The front desk staff were very helpful with local restaurant information. If I return to South Bend I will definitely be staying at this hotel!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Susie J
Reviewed February 11, 2012

we are here now, and the room is awesome, best hotel room we have ever stayed at, the only problem was we were told the swimming pool was going to be open today and we seen a sign that said they were not opening it today, that was why we brought the kids. So kinda upset about that. Will still recommend to friends and family though. :)

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Alisa N
Reviewed January 25, 2012

The hotel was great! The location of the hotel is great and it is a short drive to wherever you need to go. The lounge inside the hotel is fun, pool table, TV. Staff was amazing and helpful. Bar tender was very nice. The Notre Dame stuff around the entire hotel was amazing! Strongly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: January 2012
Anne L, Director of Sales at Varsity Clubs of America, responded to this reviewResponded January 26, 2012

Hello Awesome,

Thank you very much for taking time out of your day to share your thoughts with us and other travels. Your opion of your expierence is very important us. We will keep up the good job!

Thank you for your loyalty to Varsity Clubs of America & Diamond Resorts International.

Reviewed January 22, 2012

The rooms are very spacious and clean. The indoor pool is heated, very large with a large deck and is scheduled for a remodel in February 2010.

Varsity Club was purchased by Diamond Resorts Intl in September 2010. They are in the process of remaking the facility.

The staff is very friendly and helpful. There's a great members lounge with a pool table, a card table, awesome couches and a tv just off the lobby that we were able to use for a family get together.

We'll definitely be staying here again.

• Stayed: January 2012

Dear Great Rate,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and comments with other travelers about the Varsity Cubs. We strive to make all of our comfortable with simplicity.

You are correct about Diamond Resorts wanting to make all of their (over 200 properties world wide) properties a wonderful place to stay! The Varsity Clubs is redoing the bottom of the pool this month and will be done by end of February amongst other 2012 projects.

Thank you for your loyalty to Varsity Clubs and Diamond Resorts International.

Reviewed January 19, 2012

Stayed here in April 2011. Simply a lovely place. We had a suite (with a deck) that was bigger than some apartments I have lived in.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends

Dear Great Hotel, Great Value,

I couldn't agree more with your comments.

Varsity Clubs is an 86 all suite hotel. I have never seen a hotel where each room had it's own character and did not look like an average hotel square room, but as you stated like an apartment.

Thank you for your loyalty to Varsity Clubs and Diamond Resorts International.

anne.lederer@diamondresorts.com

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mishawaka
Hyatt Place South Bend/Mishawaka
Inn at Saint Mary's
Inn at Saint Mary's
#2 of 30 in South Bend
Home2 Suites by Hilton Mishawaka South Bend
Best Western Plus Mishawaka Inn
Residence Inn South Bend Mishawaka
Courtyard South Bend Mishawaka

Been to Varsity Clubs of America? Share your experiences!