“Great Family Fun”

Cave Country Canoes
Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Milltown
More attraction details
Owner description: Whether you are looking for a relaxing trip, an adventure, or something in-between Cave Country Canoes has you covered. We offer a variety of trips for all ages. We’re located in the heart of Indiana’s Cave Country on beautiful Blue River. Planning a trip is simple. Take a trip through the wooded hills of scenic Southern Indiana.
Reviewed July 23, 2013

My husband and I canoed the 7 mile trip with our sons, ages 15 and 11. It cost $108 with tax. Cave Country has a clean bathroom building across the street. You can bring coolers & food to take with you. Alcohol is allowed. Cave Country provides life jackets, canoes, oars and a mesh trash bag. They also have free parking and a gift shop. It was a beautiful day and the trip had lots of places to beach your canoes for a rest, snack or lunch. The river was crowded at times but not for very long. There were 2 rope swing stops along the route. The map that the outfit provides is a little hard to figure out. The trip took us 3 1/2 hours and we stopped 4 times for a total of about an hour. The river is wide and easy to canoe. We went thru approx 7 small rapids. Canoeing thru the rapids is very cool. This is the second time we have canoed with Cave Country. The first time, my husband and I canoed the 14 mile trip. It took us 5 1/2 hours and we stopped a lot due to rain. It was just as much fun even though we got rained on. I would not recommend the 12 or 14 mile trips if you are beginners or bringing kids. There are a lot more rapids on the 14 mile trip; some small, some intricate. Cave Country Canoes and the Blue River is a great way to spend a sunny, summer Saturday!

1  Thank CountinStars
Sylvia C, Manager at Cave Country Canoes, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2013

Thank you so much for your kind review! We are glad that you had a memorable experience on your trip. The river does make for a very interesting trip and both the half day and full day have some unique features to offer! We would note that Indiana state law does prohibit drinking on public waterways. Thank you for taking to the time to provide such a wonderful review and we hope to see you again!

All reviews
"sunscreen"
"indiana"
in 6 reviews

Reviewed July 18, 2013

We went with a group of friends (all adults) on the half-day trip. We had planned to do the full-day, but the river level was too low to run the full-day trip. We pulled off on a few islands along the way and encountered some really low areas that hung us up on the rocks several times, so we actually spent a good 6 hours or so. We could have paddled through and spent less time, and I'm assuming you could get down river faster with a higher river level. But, it was a fairly physically demanding job in some areas for someone that has never done this type of thing before, just FYI. (I wouldn't take my kids with me unless I was fully prepared to do all of the work; but, like I said, it may be different with a higher water level.)
The current is pretty strong in some areas, so beware; I started to get out to pull the canoe through a shallow, rocky area and as soon as one leg stepped out, the canoe drifted away, snagging my other leg in the canoe and dragging me down. I bruised up the inside of my one knee that caught on the boat, scraped my other knee and my hand, and the paddle was knocked out of my hand and began drifting downstream. There were two or three other people in our group of 10 who also were injured in similar situations (almost all when getting through the shallow areas). Again, just be aware of the conditions.
The scenery is gorgeous. There is lots of shade along the way, and the water is nice and cool, so there's no need to worry about getting too hot (so long as you're not against getting wet).
As for the company, it's pretty well run, from what we could tell. They were certainly busy. Pay the extra few dollars for a back rest; it's worth it.
We will definitely go back, but probably not with a water level so low.

Sylvia C, Manager at Cave Country Canoes, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2013

Thank you so much for your kind review! It is a beautiful section of river. We are glad that you had a great experience. The river does make for a very interesting trip and both the half day and full day have some unique features to offer! The water levels do impact the speed of the trip at times. Thank you for taking to the time to provide such a detailed review and we hope to see you again!

Reviewed July 13, 2013

This is one of my favorite activities in southern Indiana. The 14 mile trip is the best--spend 4-6 hours on the river, have a leisurely lunch on a gravel bar, and enjoy the relaxation and a few fun little rapids that are pretty easy to negotiate. Try not to go if the water level is below 2 feet--too low and you spend most of your time pushing off of rocks. You will pass limestone bluffs, quiet state forest land, and stands of shady trees. You will see lots of turtles, probably some blue herons, kingfishers, and other birds, and maybe even a deer. We haven't seen a river otter though there are supposed to be some out there.
My husband and I have been going to the Blue River with Cave Country Canoes for years. We started out renting one of their canoes. They make everything easy--provide you with all the equipment you need including a trash bag to pack out your trash, a map, and helpful tips. Bring your own lunch in a cooler, beverages, insect repellant, sunscreen, and bungees to secure everything in the canoe.
We recently purchased kayaks of our own and have used these the past two times. They will haul your own kayak for $16 each and are great helping carry them to the put-in or take-out sites.
If you're new to paddling or have kids who will be paddling (as opposed to sitting in the middle of a canoe) you would probably want to try a half-day trip first.

Thank you so much for your kind review! It is a beautiful section of river. We are glad that you had a great experience. The river does make for a very interesting trip and both the half day and full day have some unique features to offer! The half day is a great option for those with small children or just beginning to experience canoeing/kayaking. Thank you for taking to the time to provide such a wonderful review and we hope to see you again!

Reviewed July 3, 2013

I had never went canoeing before but I don't know why I waited so long to do so. You can pull your canoe to the side of the river and swim in the nice crisp water or just to capture the beauty. It's reasonably priced and great for the whole family. It takes a while to get through, but once you're on the river, you never want to go.

Thank you so much for your kind review! It is a beautiful section of river. We are glad that you had a scenic experience. The river does make for a very interesting trip and both the half day and full day have some unique features to offer! Thank you for taking to the time to provide such a wonderful review and we hope to see you again!