“Heavenly Retreat”

Big House in the Little Woods
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Millersburg
Big House in the Little Woods
Ranked #1 of 1 Millersburg B&B and Inns
Springfield, Illinois
“Heavenly Retreat”
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Our stay: 5/30/13-6/6/13

A delightful B&B out in the country among Amish farms, but set back in its own little bit of 'woods', the location could not have been more perfect for a week's getaway for my mom and me. The house was lovely and our hosts were the absolute best! Gail and Dave made us feel like family and the morning gatherings around the table for their delicious and plentiful breakfast were the best part of each day. Meeting the other house guests and swapping stories around the table was a great way to start the day.

Gail arranged for one of their Amish neighbors, Ben, to give us a buggy ride and it was definitely one of the highlights of our trip. He even joined our group for breakfast before the ride. I heartily recommend others arrange a ride with Ben. He will change any preconceived notions you have of the Amish being stoic and serious all the time - he is a hoot!

We stayed in 'The Suite' and enjoyed having the kitchenette as well as comfortable accommodations. We especially enjoyed relaxing on the screened in porch with a good book, watching the birds at the feeders Dave has placed directly in front of the porch and watching the horses & buggies go by on the rode out front. Very peaceful.

Faith is a strong influence in Gail & Dave's B&B, as evidenced in the decor, Dave's morning prayer before breakfast, and the selection of movies and books available to guests. This was an unexpected bonus to our stay!

Most persons are not looking to stay an entire week in a B&B, but we found our stay to be a wonderful experience and a hard place to leave. There are many things to do in the surrounding areas, if you take the time to look. We did the Flea Market (of course), the Antique Market & Gallery, MANY little craft and antique shops in Shipshewana, Goshen & Middelbury, attended a Sandi Patty concert at the Blue Gate Theatre (which was phenomenal!), checked out an Amish furniture shop and an Amish bakery (both run from their homes and suggested by our hosts), spent Sunday (when almost everything in the area is closed) taking a drive through the beautiful countryside, and of course, relaxing, reading and enjoying the view!

We enjoyed each and every day of our stay, not only because of the lovely & comfortable B&B but also because of the gracious care provided by Gail and Dave. We recommend anyone considering a stay in the Shipshewana/Goshen/Middlebury area consider staying at the Big House in the Little Woods - they are just minutes from everything, yet a heavenly retreat away from the hustle & bustle.

Thanks to our new 'family', Gail & Dave, for making our annual getaway for this year a simply wonderful experience.

Room Tip: The Suite is ideal for extended stays because the fridge and microwave come in handy. This room als...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank tlawrick

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed May 30, 2013

The owners Gail and Dave were very easy going, down to earth people. We even met more of the family, nice people! Woof to the little one! :) Neat and pleasant and home-like atmosphere. It was nice to gather at breakfast, nice breakfast, and meet the other guests. The other guests were pleasant and interesting bunch. You can just keep to yourself if you wish, but why? On the way out of town, we even bought farm fresh eggs and meet the Amish sellers family. We went to the local flea market, it was nice even for a rainy day. The flea market is in need of more unique items and it was not busy due to rainy weather. Nice and quiet get-a-way. We had dinner at the 5 and 20 restaurant, not fancy, but the food available was neat and good. The staff was nice. If you look around the small town I am sure there is something for everyone. Hope to return. Thank you Dave and Gail, Vanessa, John, and Woof too!

Room Tip: We stayed in the suite for its accessibility, but do check ahead of time so they can work with your...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Chatham, Canada
Reviewed April 20, 2013

Recently we spent a night at Big House in the Little Woods. The owners of this B & B truly make you feel like you are part of their family. Amazing breakfast! Love that they take time to pray for breakfast & your day & that they eat with you!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Phillip W
Fort Collins
Reviewed October 20, 2012

We just keep coming back. Dave and Gail are super and accommodating. I'd like to keep it a secret, too, but I have to share them! The house and location are perfect for us and the breakfast to die for. Thank you!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank j9spin
Maple Park, Illinois
Reviewed June 8, 2012

Breakfast A+ Pray, breakfast and meeting new people.......it's a wonderful experience!
Clean A+ All the rooms are decorated so nice...........plentyof room and your own bathroom!
Fun yet private A+ You can gather in the kitchen or living room to visit........or do your own thing!
Homemade quilts on the beds A+ Beautiful Quilts!
Gail and Dave the hosts A++++ I can't say enough about these two!
Quiet but horses prancing down the lane A+ It's a peaceful place with faint horse sounds down the lane.
Yards & porch A+ Take a walk, sit on the porch, enjoy puzzles, games, or watch a movie in your room.............what ever you desire!
Ben the Amish neighbor who will pick you up at the door for a ride in the country. Ben ...........is your passport to fun at the BHITLW...........Ben, Gail, and Dave will make your stay more than an A ++++ I love to book the whole house and all my friends go for a three day visit. I hate to tell you my secret but it's the best place to stay ever.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Linda S
Denver
Reviewed April 16, 2012

I took my Mom who is 70ish to visit Amish country. She had never been to a B & B, so I thought this one would be perfect. It was off the beaten path, but not by much. She was anxious about our privacy. There was a room some what separate which worked out great! It even had an extra day bed. She snores, so this way we both got a good nights rest :)
Gail was a wonderful hostess and made an awesome breakfast. She was very helpful with information about the area.

Room Tip: Ask about a buggy ride from her neighbor!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank ShelBelle86
Corpus Christi, Texas
Reviewed September 23, 2011

I was mesmerized by the unique details in the rooms of the Big House, where we ate breakfast two mornings in a row. Our hosts, Gail and Dave, made me feel like family and even told me I was family "now" when it was time for me and my sister to leave. The first morning we filled the table with other couples who had come for the Quilt Auction and we talked and laughed as though we'd known each other our whole lives. The food was delicious, fresh eggs & sausage, blueberry pancakes, fresh pears, cheese, great coffee, etc. The next morning we had the most amazing french toast I have ever had, along with fruit & eggs with sausage and potatos, and the list goes on. We filled two tables, with me and my sister sharing a table with 3 other sisters and all treated special by both Dave and Gail. I wish I didn't have to leave such a loving home! I will be back, I promise!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank Hazel S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Millersburg
Blue Gate Garden Inn - Shipshewana Hotel
That Pretty Place Bed & Breakfast
Super 8 Shipshewana
Super 8 Shipshewana
#4 of 5 in Shipshewana

Been to Big House in the Little Woods? Share your experiences!