“Best bed and breakfast yet!”

Big House in the Little Woods
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Millersburg
Big House in the Little Woods
Ranked #1 of 1 Millersburg B&B and Inns
Corpus Christi, Texas
“Best bed and breakfast yet!”
Reviewed September 23, 2011

I was mesmerized by the unique details in the rooms of the Big House, where we ate breakfast two mornings in a row. Our hosts, Gail and Dave, made me feel like family and even told me I was family "now" when it was time for me and my sister to leave. The first morning we filled the table with other couples who had come for the Quilt Auction and we talked and laughed as though we'd known each other our whole lives. The food was delicious, fresh eggs & sausage, blueberry pancakes, fresh pears, cheese, great coffee, etc. The next morning we had the most amazing french toast I have ever had, along with fruit & eggs with sausage and potatos, and the list goes on. We filled two tables, with me and my sister sharing a table with 3 other sisters and all treated special by both Dave and Gail. I wish I didn't have to leave such a loving home! I will be back, I promise!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank Hazel S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Westfield, IN
Reviewed August 4, 2011

We tried to find a B&B we could take our 17 year old daughter along without having to spend another $100 or so for a 2nd room. This was perfect. A relaxing weekend, no hustle or bustle unless we wanted it (Shipshewana flea market for example was huge). We went over the 4th of July weekend, and didn't plan well enough for the holiday closings, so finding food was a bit of a challenge, but the place was great. Not an old house, but same charm of one almost and good AC and wonderful food. The owners are amazing and the guests were neat as well.

We will be back for another relaxing trip.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank mkobrowski
Cokato, Minnesota
Reviewed July 30, 2011

Have stayed at dozens of B&Bs and even the ones costing 3-5 more cannot match the hospitality, great food, and enchanting location of the the Big House. Loved the family style breakfast and the prayer before the meal. Pleasant outside area with the occasional chop-clop of a horse-drawn buggy passing by. David and Gail are wonderful hosts!

Room Tip: This a great value so any room is good! Stayed in the Briddle room which is a 3-room suite for $85
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank mr_farm_dude
Evanston, IL
Reviewed July 12, 2011

My husband and I went to Amish Country (Northern Indiana) for the first time last week. We drove the Heritage Trail and made many stops along the way. The best decision we ever made was booking a room at Big House in the Little Woods (I highly recommend you book in advance). The B&B is located right off the Heritage Trail situated between 2 Amish Farms. It's away from all the touristy places. Their home is lovely and full of local amish quilts. Our room was immaculate and well appointed. Gail's homemade breakfast was served family style and if you didn't get enough to eat shame on you. She made the most awesome apple pancakes.

Gail made suggestions for dinner and even pointed me in the direction of her favorite fabric stores (which I visited both of them and they were fabulus - Yoder Dept Store and Lolly's). She is well tuned to all the local shops so ask her for advice.

Gail & David can also arranage an Amish buggy ride with their neighbor. Unfortunately, he wasn't available during our stay. :( So I guess that means we have to return. :)

I would highly recommend a stay at their B&B, Gail & David's hospitality is incredible.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Monroe, Michigan
Reviewed July 10, 2011

Our first experience at a B & B could'nt have been a better one. Our hosts, Dave and Gail made our time with them a very pleasant and memorable one. Gail's breakfast was excellent! Their home was beautiful and the area they are located in gave us the perfect Amish experience, including the buggy tour with their neighbor, Ben. I highly recommend Big House in the Little Woods.

Room Tip: The
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LKowalczyk
Whiting, Indiana
Reviewed May 25, 2011

I had a great time here to bad it was for one night! I my worries and stress left me with this experience. I will tell all my friends and family of the wonderful time i had.everybody was warm and wonderful. felt like we were family and the area was amazing. I hope i can come back soon and for more time!

Room Tip: the suite is great!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank grandpaskunk
Brilynn79
Reviewed May 10, 2011

I was working on a culture project with the Amish, so this location was perfect. There are Amish farms surrounding the inn. It was beautiful and picturesque (even in the rain).

Gail was able to set up a buggy ride with her neighbor that was one of the highlights of my trip. She is also able to arrange dinners with the Amish so if this interests you, plan early. They even helped with my work on giving an interview from a neighbor and Amish driver's perspective.

I loved sitting on the sun porch, drinking my tea and reading. On Sunday morning, I watched the parade of bugges off to church. There are bikes available to ride around the area. The weather was inclement, but I can't wait to do this next visit.

There is a large library of books and movies, board games, and puzzles that I enjoyed during my evenings. The town seems to roll up the streets pretty early and is pretty desolate on Sundays.

The location, though rural was easy to find. The house looks exactly like it does in the picture. I started out in the Harvest room, which was fine, but since I was staying several nights, I wanted room to spread out more. I moved to the suite. It was perfect for my needs. I was able to spread out and work on my paper.

The suite is handicap accessible. My dad had a stroke a year ago and has some limitiations. I am excited to plan a family getaway this summer because I am anxious to get back to Amish Country, and I know it is a place where my parents would be able to enjoy themselves.

The house felt very lived in and homey. Every aspect was welcoming. My rooms were immaculate. The beds comfortable.

Breakfast was amazing. I loved the group interactions that changed daily. I met many interesting people during my stay.

Gail gave great advice, maps, and recommendations. She was genuinely interested in my project and I was saddened to leave.

Room Tip: Suite-large, handicap accessible, sitting room,
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Brilynn79
Also consider these accommodations in or near Millersburg
Blue Gate Garden Inn - Shipshewana Hotel
That Pretty Place Bed & Breakfast
Super 8 Shipshewana
Super 8 Shipshewana
#4 of 5 in Shipshewana

Been to Big House in the Little Woods? Share your experiences!