“incredible experience top notch”

Big House in the Little Woods
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Millersburg
Big House in the Little Woods
Ranked #1 of 1 Millersburg B&B and Inns
Whiting, Indiana
“incredible experience top notch”
Reviewed May 25, 2011

I had a great time here to bad it was for one night! I my worries and stress left me with this experience. I will tell all my friends and family of the wonderful time i had.everybody was warm and wonderful. felt like we were family and the area was amazing. I hope i can come back soon and for more time!

Room Tip: the suite is great!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank grandpaskunk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Brilynn79
Reviewed May 10, 2011

I was working on a culture project with the Amish, so this location was perfect. There are Amish farms surrounding the inn. It was beautiful and picturesque (even in the rain).

Gail was able to set up a buggy ride with her neighbor that was one of the highlights of my trip. She is also able to arrange dinners with the Amish so if this interests you, plan early. They even helped with my work on giving an interview from a neighbor and Amish driver's perspective.

I loved sitting on the sun porch, drinking my tea and reading. On Sunday morning, I watched the parade of bugges off to church. There are bikes available to ride around the area. The weather was inclement, but I can't wait to do this next visit.

There is a large library of books and movies, board games, and puzzles that I enjoyed during my evenings. The town seems to roll up the streets pretty early and is pretty desolate on Sundays.

The location, though rural was easy to find. The house looks exactly like it does in the picture. I started out in the Harvest room, which was fine, but since I was staying several nights, I wanted room to spread out more. I moved to the suite. It was perfect for my needs. I was able to spread out and work on my paper.

The suite is handicap accessible. My dad had a stroke a year ago and has some limitiations. I am excited to plan a family getaway this summer because I am anxious to get back to Amish Country, and I know it is a place where my parents would be able to enjoy themselves.

The house felt very lived in and homey. Every aspect was welcoming. My rooms were immaculate. The beds comfortable.

Breakfast was amazing. I loved the group interactions that changed daily. I met many interesting people during my stay.

Gail gave great advice, maps, and recommendations. She was genuinely interested in my project and I was saddened to leave.

Room Tip: Suite-large, handicap accessible, sitting room,
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Brilynn79
Joliet, Illinois
Reviewed April 1, 2011

The atmosphere and the country surroundings are wonderful. The rooms are clean and the breakfast was great. The way Gail and Dave make you feel welcome is a pleasant change to an over paced world. They have useful knowledge of local shops and suggested a small restaurant, that was very good. We plan on returning and would not hesitate to recommend this Bed and Breakfast highly.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank koozm1
FLORIDA
Reviewed July 28, 2010

Telling TRIP ADVISOR users and members how enjoyable BIG HOUSE IN LITTLE WOODS is just doesn't seem to be possible. If you plan to visit Indiana Amish country and have any particular interest in the surrounding communities you really should try to get reservations here. We've traveled all of North America extensively and have stayed in bunches of B & B's. I've never enjoyed any B & B any more than this one.

Gail and David are wonderful, christian people. We appreciated having a blessing before we ate breakfast. And the breakfast!!!!!!! If you didn't have all you want to eat, it'll be your own fault. The food was just amazing, plentiful, and fresh. The eggs were obtained from an adjoining Amish neighbors farm.

Often, Gail can arrange a buggy ride from Big House in Little Woods. I did learn horse drawn sleigh rides may even be available in the winter. Now there's a thought! If you have an opportunity to get the ride you won't regreat it. I won't detail our experiences with our new friend, Ben, but we had so much fun.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kytrooper
Rockford, IL
Reviewed July 6, 2009

I agreed to go with my sister and our adult daughters to Northern Indiana to visit an Amish community. My typical trips are always urban and include at least a four star hotel. I was VERY apprehensive about staying at a B&B. My stomach was in a knot as I waited to reach our B&B. When we did - it was incredible! It is a rare individual who can open her door to you and make you feel like you have known them all your life -- Gail has that gift. I felt so welcomed and so at home!! My room was adorable and my bed incredibly comfortable! The breakfast Gail fixed each morning was excellent and included things like scrambled eggs with sausage and potatoes, apple pancakes, fresh fruit, muffins, french toast with a hint of cinnamon - this woman can cook!! We were provided bikes to go on a bike ride and always, always with a smile. And, it was fun sitting down next to someone from Florida and sharing our experiences!

Now, for the area itself - we visited a huge flea market in nearby Shipshewana and, of course, checked out the many shops of the Amish - which included everything from the best fruit turnover I EVER tasted to an awesome popcorn shop! The Amish can cook, too!! As well, the sights alone were just beautiful - rolling hills, the clomping of the horses hooves, finally manicured gardens (veggie and flower).

It was a unexpected wonderful experience and I am glad I did it!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Lac du Flambeau, Wisconsin
Reviewed March 31, 2007

I stayed with the Hodges at their wonderful B&B on an overnight shopping trip to the Amish area of northern IN. Gail was a knowledgeble hostess, giving me info on local businesses. Both David and Gail are so friendly and allowed me to hang out in their kitchen for coffee and conversation as breafast was prepared; which was the crown jewel of my stay.. The inn is located on a country road near Amish farms; very quiet and lovely. Book a room here if you are in the area; you will not regret it!

• Liked — comfortable room; lovely setting
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
1 Thank FLWfan
Fayetteville
Reviewed October 7, 2006

We had a wonderful experience in the Shipshewana area, topped off by our stay at this top notch Bed and Breakfast. The home and grounds were beautiful and the rooms were spotless. Our Host and Hostess, David and Gail Hodges were informative and delightful to get to know. Breakfast was absolutely delicious and bountiful with great fellowship around the table. Our stay would not have been complete without a buggy ride through the scenic Amish countryside with David and Gails neighbor Ben and his trusty horse. Ben was also a pleasure to get to know.

Bob & Phyllis
Fayetteville, Ga

Also consider these accommodations in or near Millersburg
Blue Gate Garden Inn - Shipshewana Hotel
That Pretty Place Bed & Breakfast
Super 8 Shipshewana
Super 8 Shipshewana
#4 of 5 in Shipshewana

Been to Big House in the Little Woods? Share your experiences!