“Great food...and lots of it!”

Das Dutchman Essenhaus
Ranked #2 of 23 Restaurants in Middlebury
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Buffet, Reservations
Suburban Chicago
“Great food...and lots of it!”
Reviewed November 14, 2009

When touring Elkhart County's Amish country, a visit to one of these "all you can eat" broasted chicken eateries is a must. After reading the reviews we chose this one, and were very glad we did. Note: there are different dining rooms in this restaurant. For the one-price all you can eat meal you need to go to the "family style" dining room. Everything was very delicious; we even asked for seconds on the chicken and stuffing. The pies were wonderful, but we were so full we couldn't finish ours. We probably should have accepted the server's offer to pack our pies to go. Made a stop in the bakery to buy a jar of the delicious homemade ranch dressing to take home.

Wisconsin
“Worth the drive”
Reviewed October 2, 2009

Enjoyed a nice family style dinner of chicken, beef and yummy mashed potatoes and all the trimmings. Pie choices were numerous and very delicious!

Tennesse
“Good food for the area but you have to choose between corn and green beans.”
Reviewed September 28, 2009

The Essenhaus is a decent restaurant and probably the best in the area next to The Blue Gate. These two are the only decent restaurants in the area and the only ones open till 8:00 pm. We chose the least expensive menu of Chicken, Mashed potatoes, salad, Corn or Green Beans. I have never had to choose between the two and do not understand why they can not serve both. A desert comes with the meal and the area is big on pies. By the time I left Shipshewana, I got the feeling the town was conspiring to sell peanut butter spread. It was in every cafe, diner, and restaurant. If you are in the town of Middleburry or Shipshewana, I would definitely recommend the Essenhaus.

detroit
“Good, but busy!”
Reviewed August 25, 2009

I stayed at the inn last week. I arrived early, and it was lunch time. So instead of waiting, I got a carry out. It was done quickly and I took it to my great suite at the Inn and ate out on my balcony. It was a great turkey dinner with yummy mashed potatoes and stuffing. This place is just great, you may have to wait a few mins....but it seems to be worth it!

Chicago, Illinois
“Old fashioned, hearty food”
Reviewed June 25, 2009

We had the family style-it costs $15.50 per person, but is worth it because it includes any one of their delicious pies for dessert. Don't bother adding the extra meat for $1.00 per person, you don't need it. The family style meal includes broasted chicken, stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy,corn or green beans, noodles, bread, salad and dessert. We chose the corn-the best, sweetest corn I have ever tasted. We added roast beef but this is the one item that I felt fell short. It was more like pot roast, small bits of meat. It had a good flavor, though. The pies were wonderful, not too sweet, big selection and HUGE slices. Would recommend this restaurant for a dinner stop when traveling I-80. It is only about 6 miles from the interstate. It has gift shops, a bakery and gardens in which to relax. You can get a short horse and buggy ride for $5.00 per person. Very nice place. Hearty, wholesome (although heavy) food!