“Unique dining experience”

Das Dutchman Essenhaus
Ranked #2 of 24 Restaurants in Middlebury
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Buffet, Reservations
Reviewed August 21, 2014

Ate dinner here with 2 bus loads of people. Seated immediately, served immediately and plenty of food. We ate family style where heaping trays of fried chicken, roast beef, vegetables were passed down over and over until you pop. But they also have regular seating with menus. Food was very good. Chicken a little over fried but roast beef melts in you mouth. Lots of pies to choose from.

1  Thank David C

Reviewed August 19, 2014

Ate here for breakfast and supper as we were staying in the hotel. Food was good and plentiful. We were seated right away and our waitresses were attentive.

Reviewed August 19, 2014

Out of the way Inn with amenities galore. Would definitely visit again.
The "buggy ride" was a special treat; enjoyed the Essen House history provided along the way. :-)

1  Thank Fran and Jim H
Reviewed August 17, 2014 via mobile

This place having four stars calls into question every review of Shipshewana establishments.

Do you enjoy cafeterias with fluorescent lighting? Are you unable to tell the difference between canned food and fresh or powdered potatoes vs the real thing? Would you eat pie from a gas station? If yes, then this is the place for you! Get ready for an over-crowded, theme-park style dining experience where people line up to gorge themselves on industrial-grade, fatty foods and cheap ingredients are the order of the day. It's a real shame that a place in the middle of farm country isn't serving any fresh food.

This should be your absolute last resort for dining in the area, like, if everything else is closed. Otherwise, ignore the enormous parking lot (those people are all making a mistake) and keep driving.

I think two-stars is being overly generous but at the very least, the place was clean and the waitress was pleasant.

2  Thank Cristina T
TheEssenhaus, Owner at Das Dutchman Essenhaus, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2014

Christina,

Hello. I want to thank you for your recent visit to our restaurant and for taking the time to prepare your well written review on TripAdvisor. My name is Lance Miller and I am one of the owners along with my family. My folks started the Essenhaus 43 years ago and I now have the privilege of working with them along with my siblings. I am so sorry that you did not have an excellent experience when you were here. To be honest Christina, I take such pride in our restaurant that it saddens me to hear of your experience.

Please understand, I won't try to change your opinion of your experience when you were here. I would however like to offer some clarity to a few of the specific items you drew attention to in your review.

Although we are a large restaurant we started very small and most food is made from scratch on site. I know that seems hard to believe Christina given the volume of business that we do, but that is why we have grown over the years. Our mashed potatoes have always been made from whole potatoes adding milk, salt, butter and some sugar. Never instant....not even as a filler. Our bread stuffing is made from scratch along with our pies. We cook all of our pie fillings from scratch....not pudding from a can. Each pie crust is made from scratch in our bakery. We even make our noodles from scratch starting with flour, eggs and water. We have many other made from scratch foods, but I won't take the space to list them all.

Again, I am sorry that you did not enjoy your visit, and I would love the opportunity to meet you on your next visit if you'd be willing to give us another chance. Please know I understand and respect your opinion. I just wanted to offer some clarity to facts you shared in your review and want you to know our goal is to offer each guest a great experience. I'm sorry we missed the mark on your visit but please know Christian that I take seriously each and every suggestion.

Again, thank you for visiting us and sharing your opinion.

Lance Miller, President
lance@essenhaus.com
574-822-1262

Reviewed August 16, 2014

The hype for the place is high however food was average and pricey for what you got. My chicken and noodles was $11 and it was more like chicken noodle soup.