“Happy Birthday to Me”

Das Dutchman Essenhaus
Ranked #2 of 23 Restaurants in Middlebury
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Buffet, Reservations
LaPorte, Indiana
“Happy Birthday to Me”
Reviewed July 9, 2014

My husband took me to this restaurant for dinner on my birthday. We were staying in Shipshewana,IN for 2 nights & The Essenhaus was in a nearby town. I had always heard about this restaurant and I never heard anything bad, so it sounded like a good birthday choice. Upon arrival we were offered the Buffet or the other area of the restaurant for Menu orders. We gave the hostess our name & waited maybe 1/2 hr and it was nice to have a place to sit down & wait. Our server was pleasant & the food was served in a timely manner. We let her know that we were celebrating a birthday & she offered us a cake for $3 & we asked her if she could sing happy birthday. The food was served and my husband ordered Ribeye Steak that was tender & delicious. I orderded the Fried Chicken & it was so good. The chicken was tender & juicy & the best. The wait staff then brought out my birthday cake & sang to me. It was all perfect & I'm sure that we will return to The Essenhaus at some time.

• Visited June 2014
2 Thank LBNashGo

Negaunee, Michigan
“Unique and wonderful experience family style dining”
Reviewed July 6, 2014

We decided to order family style for our meal. We had a large party, so we ordered beef and chicken. It was amazing, homemade food! We were so full, we had to take our pie back to the hotel with us (a nice perk that you can do that). The staff was wonderful, our waitress was the best we had for our whole trip!!

• Visited June 2014
Maryville, Tennessee
“A Classic”
Reviewed July 6, 2014 via mobile

We eat here a couple of times a year when in town to visit family and friends. Creamed chicken and biscuits is awesome. Huge portion. My wife loves the beef and noodles. Apple butter and Amish peanut butter at the table for rolls, yes!

1 Thank CJHubert26
Sandusky, Ohio
“Lots of great food”
Reviewed July 3, 2014

We have eaten at this restaurant every time we are in the area. Their roast beef and baked steak are fork tender. The broasted chicken is tender and moist on the inside and crispy on the outside. There is a buffet that has lots of good things or you can order from the menu. Be sure to get a piece of their delicious pies. Don't go there if you are on a diet! Everything is wonderful. One of our favorite places to eat.

Visited July 2014
“Great food!”
Reviewed July 3, 2014 via mobile

I've been eating here since I was little and have always liked it. The food is always great and the service is good (although some servers a definitely friendlier than others). I prefer the buffet over menu or family style. The bakery is fantastic!! I suggest that after you eat stop in there and check it out. The only reason I say after you eat is so you don't go crazy buying things. Lol

• Visited July 2014