“Dissapointing Upon a Second Visit”

Das Dutchman Essenhaus
Ranked #2 of 23 Restaurants in Middlebury
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Buffet, Reservations
Bloomingdale, Illinois
“Dissapointing Upon a Second Visit”
Reviewed March 27, 2013

My wife and I ate at Essenhaus a couple of years ago while visiting the Shipshawana, Indiana, Amish area and were very pleased.

On this visit, we choice the buffet rather than "menu dining." Big mistake. After going to the salad bar which was great, I couldn't wait to attack the buffet. I should have waited.

They offered three entrees, Baked Steak, Roast Beef and Broasted Chicken, so I tried a little of each. The two beef dishes stayed on my plate after one small bite of each, and the chicken was so-so.

They offered several vegetables. I tried the cooked carrots that looked like they could have been washed a little more carefully, green beans with little bacon bits and corn. The carrots and beans were way overcooked; the corn was OK.

If we go back, I'd definitely choose menu dining, and I encourage others to do the same.

1 Thank Chip G

Sturgis, Michigan
“Das Essenhaus”
Reviewed March 27, 2013

We have dined at the Essenhaus many many times. We { my family and friends } have never been disapointed. We enjoy thier buffet the most, all you can eat. They also have a family style dinner { all you can eat] and a great menu. They feature Amish style cooking with a Bakery and gift store you can visit. In fact I am getting hungry just writing about it. Give it a try, you cant go wrong. Bye, we are going to go eat.

Kansas City
“Very comfortable stay!”
Reviewed March 21, 2013

We added a huge cinnamon to our continental breakfast at Essenhaus. They were huge and yummy! We didn't have a chance to have lunch or dinner there.

Visited March 2013
Fort Wayne, Indiana
“Everything in one place”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

This compound- restaurant,bakery, inn & shops- extends over a large area , so once you're there you can really spend the day (and night , if you like), though you'll want to move the car if you're not wanting to hike over the parking lots.
We went to the lunch buffet; at over $10, it was a bit over-priced for what you got. The chicken, roast beef and beef-and-noodles were all just as you'd want and expect, no more or less. There is a hot bar where you'll find the meats and several hot vegetables and sides. In an adjacent dining room a cold bar offers salad greens with a myriad of toppings as well as prepared cold salads. A single dessert (vanilla pudding) was offered when we were there; it was very good vanilla pudding but at a restaurant known for it's baked goods, a couple desserts would be nice. I did notice several people ordering pieces of pie to take home; maybe this is why the bar lacked significant dessert items. So, the food is good, as good as what we make at home, and easier because someone else does the dishes!
The atmosphere inside the restaurant and its connected bakery/ mini gift shop is warm, cozy and pleasant. All the employees we encountered were pleasant and helpful. And, though we purchased no additional baked goods today, we've had their pies before and they are also every bit as good as a homemade pie. The 2 1/2 pound angel food cake looked good before lunch, but was not as tempting after, nor were the biggest long johns and doughnuts you've ever seen. The prices are reasonable given the cost of eggs and other ingredients. My daughter loves the Amish sugar cookies.......soft, round,a bit crumbly.
So, what makes this just average? The location is right on a corner of Highway 20, with semis roaring past all the time and lots of traffic. A pastoral setting as may be befitting an Amish-themed complex is difficult to separate from the intrusive location. It reminds me of a truck stop, but with pleasant buildings and interiors.
If you thrill at seeing horses and buggies, as well as Amish farms and livestock, these are in abundance in the area. Please be cautious, though: busy Highway 20 is shared by the buggies in a narrow buggy lane that runs aside the highway.

Waterford, Michigan
“An Amish Treat”
Reviewed March 7, 2013

Unfortunatly we got there too late to see the rest of the shops on the complex but the bakery and restarant were wonderful. We started at the bakery andf there must have been thirty or more different flavors of homemade pies available, and a wide selection of jam and preserves in a wide variety of unusual combinations, I settled on a jar of Mandarin Orange and Pineapple to bring home with me, still looking forward to tasting it as I only got home last night.
The restaurant was divided into two, you had your choice of Buffet and family style or Menu, we chose the buffet. Entree selection was Broasted Chicken, Roast Beef, Dutchman steak and Lasagne, I didn't try the lasagne but the others were really good, along with 10 + side dishes and salad bar at $12.99 for all you can eat was excellent. Soup and homemade bread to start, the soup was seved by our waitress and came steamimg hot, drinks were the only extra but that was only 99c unlimited. Dessert was also included and was a choice of a slice of one of the flavor pies like the bakery was selling, I decided on the Rhubarb Custard which was great. Well worth a visit, and excellent value for your buck

Visited March 2013