“I still prefer Amish Acres”

Das Dutchman Essenhaus
Ranked #2 of 24 Restaurants in Middlebury
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Buffet, Reservations
Reviewed September 17, 2012

The food was tasty, hard to find bad food in this area, but just not as good as Amish Acres, same for the service. We took some time to shop around, and man are they proud of their stuff, the kind of stuff I can get online for half the price. Dinner was reasonable.

Reviewed September 17, 2012

We ran across this restaurant by accident Many vehicles outside so we decided to stop. Glad we did. very large areas to eat, 2 serving lines if you do the buffet(recommend it). Great service and the food was very country, delicious.

Reviewed September 14, 2012

Ate dinner one evening at the Das Dutchman Essenhaus. Food quality really good, nice big portions. The pie selection was outstanding. We arrived very late (about 20 minutes before closing) but they were very welcoming and didn't make us feel rushed at all. The Manhattan (turkey sandwich with mashed potatoes and gravy) was the "small" portion and was still very generous. I ordered the pork tenderloin and it was wonderful. We had cherry pie and it was great too. Atmosphere is very nice, cozy decor, nice gift shop. Interesting place to stop. Very satisfied with the entire experience..

Reviewed September 11, 2012

Good home cooking. Upon arrival you have 3 choices of dining. Off the menu, buffet or family style. We chose the buffet. There were many choices, all the food was hot and fresh. Fried chicken, chicken and noodles were the best. Be sure to check out their awesome bakery!!

Reviewed September 9, 2012

I was starving and looking for a smorgasbord-like buffet. Based on reviews, I chose this restaurant. It's HUGE with two entrances on either side as well as a gift shop and bakery. I chose the buffet, which was average and surprisingly un-Amish (what, no sausage, no sauerkraut??) The fried chicken was soggy. Blech. But the waitress was super friendly. I had read about the peanut butter cream pie - and it did not disappoint. That made up for the so-so buffet. And all I keep thinking about is when I'm going back for more of that pie.