“Beautiful place; room lacking in higher end finishes.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Essenhaus Inn & Conference Center

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Middlebury
Essenhaus Inn & Conference Center
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Middlebury
Muncie, Indiana
“Beautiful place; room lacking in higher end finishes.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

Lovely setting, pretty, country-theme decor, delicious complimentary breakfast with best sausage gravy ever tasted. Free cookies and coffee in lobby. Next to excellent Das Essenhaus restaurant with Amish style meals and fantastic bakery. Bed linens were older and felt over used. Check out nearby Shipshewanna for Amish goods and antiques.

• Stayed August 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank swanmill

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Toledo, OH
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2013

We stayed in a room with a balcony. It was great! Loved sitting on the balcony enjoying the Quilt Garden. The salt-water pool was so relaxing! Very clean hotel and friendly staff. The breakfast was a little disappointing. I'm not big on pastries. Other than that, we would love to stay at the Essenhaus Inn again. Just won't stay on a Sunday because not much is open in the area.

1 Thank Diane H
Indianapolis, IN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

I attended a conference at Essenhaus and am determined to return with my family this summer based on my wonderful experience. In fact, my parents decided to camp in that area this past week and made a special trip to Essenhaus both for dinner and to look at the hotel decor based on my recommendations.

First, guests have to stay in the hotel. I described it to my daughter as the Gaylord Opryland Hotel / Disney hotel downsized for Amish country. And, while the attention to detail obvious in the grounds, the rooms, and the common areas likens to the Gaylord & Disney, Essenhaus takes it a few steps further with solid, beautiful Amish-made furniture that appeals as much to a minimalist because of beautiful, clean lines as to someone who enjoys the country look. I do not like country cute. But, the Essenhaus take on modern country decor has changed my mind. I'm probably going to look for a Henderson buffet for my dining room following this experience, and I might start the search for a tin front porch light while I'm at it. I was blown away by the beauty and charm.

But what took me aback the most was how clean everything was. Disney has nothing on the Essenhaus. I have never stayed in a hotel this clean yet this homey and comfortable. The only non-perfect element in this hotel was a lower drawer that stuck a little on the entertainment center. I reported it to the front desk because I knew someone would care. In any other hotel, that drawer sticking would have seemed like one of many less-than-perfect aspects of the room. Not here. I purposely started looking for scuffs on the wall or spots on the carpet. Nothing. Walking into my far less-than-perfect home was a bit tough after this experience, but I have quite a To Do list that will thrill my children.

Many reviewers are commenting on the food. The conference food was great -- even box lunches ordered for one of our meals. The restaurant food was good. I've enjoyed a few Amish-type restaurants featuring homemade everything. Essenhaus was good -- not at the very top of my list -- but good and priced perfectly. I was working on a $25 per day budget for dinners only and spent $15 instead. My colleagues and I enjoyed the family-style, all-you-can-eat chicken dinner that ended with our choice of desserts. Choosing from the extensive pie menu was the most difficult task of the day.

Does Essenhaus cater to vegans, vegetarians, and dieters? Absolutely not. But just like you don't show up for Christmas dinner anticipating a healthy, steamed-vegetable meal, you don't show up at an Amish family-style restaurant expecting an extensive couscous list. Don't count your points and eat the chicken & noodles for goodness sake :). Then, head down to the bakery to take a pie, some noodles, peanut butter, and some bread home to the family.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Baltimore, MD
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

The Essenhaus Inn is a truly beautiful place to stay with plenty of activities (mini golf, biking, horse-drawn carriage rides, shops, gigantic restaurant, etc.). Our room was called the Americana Room, which had decor to match its name. It was spacious, clean and had comfy beds and pillows. It was in the Atrium part of the hotel, which has a ground floor lounge area with comfy chairs, checkers and complimentary tea/coffee. Most of the furniture is actually made by Amish carpenters and brought to the hotel!

The indoor pool is small but adequate and is complemented by a spacious hot tub, game room, and exercise room. The only part that disappointed us was the breakfast, which consisted of basic cereals, toast, sugary pastries, yogurt, and hard boiled eggs; there was no fresh fruit at all. The hot food consisted of gloppy sausage gravy to pour over biscuits. If you are a healthy eater, it is not a good breakfast. Luckily, we found plain oatmeal packets -- one of the only non-sweetened items available. But we are not typical American eaters!

Overall, this place is lovely with friendly staff and clean facilities, but the breakfast was sorely lacking.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Miamisburg, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013

We are staying here for the first time and I cannot say enough wonderful things about it. The price is great...it has gazebos by a lake...rocking chairs out front...a huge Arbor room with many tables to play games or comfortable chairs/couches to sit on and read...free breakfast...clean...and an Amish style cooking restaurant within walking distance.

Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

Amish Country comes alive at the Essenhaus Inn! From the moment we checked in, to the moment we left, we experienced the charm of this quiet inn. We stayed in a King room on the third floor which has a vaulted ceiling and a walk-out balcony that overlooks the pond and carriage path. The room is HUGE with an abundance of lighting and plenty of space to spread out. The hotel is emaculate with no dirt or dust in the corners, the baseboards scrubbed clean, and no drips, dust, or spots anywhere. The decorations are simple, but inviting. While you could hear some talking in the hallways or outdoors, it was minimal.

After eating at the Das Dutchman Essenhaus restaurant, we walked about the grounds, visiting a few shops and then we spotted the horse and carriage. Your visit would not be complete without taking a guided tour of the grounds via the horse-pulled carriage. The Amish driver was friendly, telling us the history of the farm, and answering our many questions. A small covered bridge, the original noodle factory, and the beautiful grounds are explored on this 20-minute ride. Learning about the history of the Inn, we explored it further, finding a school house inside the original building. The grounds are filled with flowers and wild life and many sitting areas to rest and relax. Although we did not use the swimming pool and recreation areas, we noticed how clean and comfortable they appeared, with a small game room for children or adults.

If there were a weakness, it would be the free breakfast, which was average. While it offers many choices, most were tasteless or dry, coffee weak, and not at all what we expected from an Amish Inn. Including breakfast is beneficial since the Inn is located in a small town, but don't let the average breakfast turn you away.

Overall, we enjoyed our romantic get-away. It is worth going out of your way to visit this lovely lodging place.

Room Tip: Top floor rooms in the newer part of the Inn have vaulted ceilings and balconies.