“Served purpose but will not return.”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Quality Inn

Quality Inn
Ranked #9 of 16 Hotels in Michigan City
Leawood, Kansas
“Served purpose but will not return.”
Reviewed August 9, 2013

At the end of July my wife's family had a family reunion in Michigan City. Other family members decided to stay there, in spite of the reviews on TripAdvisor, and so we did also just to be in the same hotel. Never again. To open the sliding glass door I felt like I needed a crow-bar. The "complementary breakfast" looked way too risky to attempt (I was hoping my mother-in-law would try it though).

The room served it's purpose, but for the next reunion in a couple years we will NOT be staying there.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Arthur P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed July 26, 2013

we left Minneapolis and wanted to get past Chicago before we stopped for the night. What we didn't know was that all the people from the area go to hotels on the weekends during the summer in the towns around the lakes. This resulted in our not being able to find any rooms. The lady at the country inn and suites told us that the comfort inn had a room. We stopped at the comfort inn and got a good price on the room. it had the bed configuration we needed. the lady at the desk was not rude but after 9 other hotels in a 2 week period I have a sense of what is good front desk service and what is not. She seemed tired or distracted or grumpy, not sure but i just cared about a clean room. We were traveling with 15 pieces of luggage so I grabbed the cart and loaded it up only to find that there is no elevator in a 2 story hotel....realllllllly???? come on comfort inn. you think people dont have heavy luggage? Your website talks about comfort and service. Let's try that part again. I also think that the heat was on in the hallway. weird. The rooms all had no smoking signs on them but the halls reeked of smoke. so, humping 15 large pieces of luggage up the stairs in the heat, with the smoke was not a good intro to our stay at the comfort inn. On to the good part. the room was huuuuge! I was happy about that. the AC was cold but not frigid. The tv was big and the beds were comfortable and clean. I would not seek this hotel out again but it was not terrible.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Roger S, General Manager at Quality Inn, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. On behalf of our entire staff at Comfort Inn we apologize for the concerns you shared about your experience at this hotel.

Roger Sharma
Comfort Inn Michigan City, Indiana
219-879-9190
Port Matilda, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 27, 2013

Booked this hotel (I use mostly Choice) simply for a bed and breakfast after a 9 hour drive. Arrived at 9:20 with kids screaming to swim. The lady who checked us in (sorry, forget your name, but if you were working the evening shift of June 11, you’re a good employee) got us in quickly and without my asking agreed to let my cranky kids go a bit past the 10 PM deadline in the pool.

The room was average sized. The breakfast was average. The hotel was clean. We were able to sleep. This is pretty much what I expect for an $80 hotel room less than an hour from Chicago. Mostly, it was clean and safe. I got what I asked for and what I paid for.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
minnesota
Reviewed April 23, 2013

Stayed here on our return trip through Michigan City. It is part of Choice Privileges Rewards Program. The room smelled musty. We opened a window but the screen was all torn. The carpet looked clean. The desk chair was stained and should of been removed. The lounge chair seen better days. Big screen TV was a plus. When the toilet was flushed it squealed and took a long time to fill back up. The bathroom fan was too loud.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank erameram

Travelers are raving about these Michigan City hotels

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Spent one night here on a road trip from Minneapolis to Detroit. Check-in was quick and friendly. Received room 102 on the first floor. This property has indoor corridors (a must for a single woman and also in the winter). Room contained a desk and chair, bureau which doubled as a luggage rack, fridge and microwave, and flat screen tv (plus all the "usual" amenities like coffeemaker, hair dryer, shampoo, conditioner, lotion) and a queen bed.

Shower/tub and toilet are in a separate room and sink is outside the bathroom. This doesn't bother me at all.

Bed was very comfortable with four pillows, nice bedding and nice sheets. Towels were also very fluffy and brilliant white. Room was very clean and there was light enough for reading in bed.

Breakfast was delicious! Sitting area is small. Offered both plain and blueberry waffles, biscuits and gravy, egg patties (food service type), lots of pastries and muffins, yogurt, hard boiled eggs, juice, oranges and bananas, and tea/coffee. Certainly enough to get a good start to the day!

Hotel also has a small indoor pool (but I didn't see a hot tub). Hotel is conveniently located off I-94 and there are numerous restaurants (both fast food and more casual dining) and gas stations nearby.

I would certainly stay here again and recommend it to my friends and family.

Room Tip: Not sure if there's an elevator, so if you have problems with stairs chose a room on the first f...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Holland, Michigan
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Let me say right up front, don't be put off by this 1 star rating - at least to a point. This is a wonderfully run and kept hotel, in a convenient but quiet location near I-94. The room I stayed in was spotless as were all areas I observed. From that stand point the hotel deserves at least 4 stars. But what kills the happy story here is the size of the place. My room was certainly the tiniest hotel room I have ever seen (outside of those casket size ones in Tokyo). the vanty/lav area was at the front door in the entry way. No room to sit at the mirror and open the entry door at the same time. the toilet/tub was in a room so small, a plus sized guest could not go in and shut the door without standing in the tub to do it! The room itself was just big enough for a queen bed and desk - that's all. One other surprise, a pleasant one; the room featured a microwave, minifridge, coffeemaker, hairdryer, and laundry service, all amenities one would not expect from a one star hotel - and again that's my point; this place tries hard and would have a 3 1/2 star rating - no doubt ....but why so ridiculously small? With that said; I would recomend the Comfort Inn, Michigan City to the solo traveler, not recomend it as a romantic get away, and WARN families - this is just not designed for you.

Room Tip: Even # rooms are very small. Some larger rooms may be available accross hall and on corner areas...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed January 28, 2013

Have stayed at this hotel several times. it is consistent, decent quality for a short-stay business traveller. good internet connection with decent speed and pretty good signal coverage in different areas of the hotel. breakfast is OK, but a small-ish area to eat. If there are 5-6 people or groups eating then the area can be pretty full.
Great freeway access and some decent shopping and eating places nearby. Plenty of parking in the front of the building and plenty of room for larger trucks.
Have noticed a couple of times that they need to keep on top of cleanliness a bit better. This is both for rooms and for the 'common' areas including the breakfast eating space. In the breakfast space this is mainly keeping up with emptying of the trash containers.
Another bad practice is announcing my name and room number at check in while another patron is standing nearby. the check in area is rather small and the clerk said both my name and room number loud enough that the other person in the area could hear it clearly. This is not a huge concern for me as a male, but this is something that women travellers have mentioned as a problem. If the other person standing there had ill intent they would know the name and location where they were spending the night.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business