See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed April 20, 2016

If I could give this place no stars I would. Stayed here off Hotwire. As soon as I read the reviews I didn't even want to go. It's a motel style with hotel inside. We had the motel room and came in after midnight and were upgraded inside. The inside was almost as old as the outside. I thought I went back into time. It's so out dated and gives you the "not so clean" feeling. Breakfast was the same each day of our stay, so we opted to go out for breakfast the second day. The bed was clean and comfortable, however, needs lot of work. It could be a nice hotel, they just need to do some investing bad.

Room Tip: Do not stay in the motel outside section.
  • Stayed: March 2016, traveled as a couple
RepofHilde754, Manager at Michigan City Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2016

Dear Customer,

Sunny Pate
Clarion Inn & Suites, Michigan City
219-879-0311

Reviewed March 18, 2016 via mobile

Late night arrival. Called ahead to check on availability and was told to come on over. Very easy access off of 94. The lady at the desk could not have been nicer. She even thought she remembered me from a previous stay--I think it was over 2 years ago. Rooms are not great, but they acceptable, especially considering a reasonable price point. Will book again in the future.

Stayed: March 2016, traveled as a couple
RepofHilde754, NA/GSR at Michigan City Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2016

Hello Denny B,

We are so thankful that you took the time out to tell us about your recent stay here at the Clarion. We are very pleased to hear that we were at your service in a time of need, and that you chose us as your place to stay out of several other surrounding locations. Seeing that this was not your first time here as our guest, I can only imagine how good it felt to be remembered by a staff member, even after all that time had passed. We do understand that you found the rooms to be not all that great, not knowing exactly what room you reserved, it is hard to pin point details of this room type. Nevertheless, we apologize, and we are working towards making the necessary improvements within this facility as a whole. Otherwise, I sincerely hope your time with us was overall a 'good one,' and we would hope to see you again some time soon. Thank you!

Reviewed March 13, 2016 via mobile

Stayed here several times when it was Holiday Inn. Rooms were clean. Pool area was busy but not overcrowded. The pool was also much larger.
The room was non smoking but there were cigarette burn holes all over the carpet. Wall paper peeling and pictures on wall were all crooked. The room was very hot when we walked in. I turned on the air. It seemed to be cooling. It was about 80 degrees in the room when I woke up at about midnight in a full sweat. The pool area is another story. They have you sign that there are no pool parties. The pool was so over crowded it was not safe. You were constantly being bumped, pushed or kicked. Several bigger kids with NO supervision. Groups of people coming in that were not guests. Definitely pool parties. They say they are monitoring this but I never saw a hotel associate near the pool. The lights in the pool area were not on. A guest found the switch after about an hour and turned the light on. You have to go to the front desk to get a pool towel which is a little bit bigger than a hand towel. My bill was under my front door in the morning which was not the same as the charge on my card. I went to the front desk with my complaints. A sign was pulled from around the corner stating that a 10% gratuity would be added. Gratuity for what? An overcrowded pool, a sauna for a room or the very run down condition of the room?!? The room temperature issue - I was told the rooms on this side operated from one boiler and the room temps could not be adjusted. All they could do is offer me a fan! As to the pool area they did not seem to care. The pool here is very small and is definitely not adequate for a hotel this size. Throw in a few pool parties and total chaos.
Lastly, I had to go to my car about 10 pm. I was parked right outside a door. I did not feel safe going outside. There were groups of people hanging out in front of rooms and around cars.
So needless to say I am very disappointed. I thought choosing a Clarion was a safe choice. I could not have been more wrong.

Stayed: March 2016, traveled solo
RepofHilde754, NA/GSR at Michigan City Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2016

Hello Rhonda K,

We appreciate your feedback in regards to your most recent stay with us at the Clarion Inn. We value our guest/consumers, so it is important that we ensure that everyone that stays here has an enjoyable experience, and from my understanding, your experience was not so great. I want you to know that you have our deepest apology. We have been looking into the claims which you have stated about pool parties taking place, which implies (unfortunately) that some guest choose not to follow the rules as they have been asked to do so. We do have security on this premise from the late evening periods to the early morning, but we have come to the conclusion that it does nothing for those guest who "try" to get their "fun" in early at the pool area. So we have discussed a few options, and we hope that we can begin to put those plans into action real soon. It saddens us here because we know we have guest who choose to follow the rules, yet have to "pay" at the expense of others who do not want to follow the same exact rules. The front desk do their best to monitor what goes on within their control, but there is no possible way for the front desk to check-in people, answer the phone, and be in the pool area, all at the same time. Therefore again, the management has/is brainstorming some ideas of what needs to be done.

As far as the pool size goes, that is not a focus of our, it is more important that we get that area under control, versus having a bigger pool, with possibly having more problems. Nevertheless, those lights should have been on from the beginning, certainly that is not acceptable. The heating/cooling situation on the Holidome/pool side is something we are aware of, our apologies, we hope to have the unit replaced sometime in the near future. I know that you said you were told we took an additional 10% for gratuity, but that is not the reason at all as to why we take an additional percentage. This is disappointing that someone would tell you this, the 10%, just like most inns/hotels is a form of insurance for us on the guest's behalf in case there are any damages/missing items from your room after you have checked out. The 10% is returned back to the cardholder, 3-5 business days after checkout. And lastly the people that you saw outside, while you were on your way to your car at night could have been guest. There is definitely no crime in being outside of the building at night, unless they are indeed loitering, or were actually carrying out an illegal activity. By that time security should have been here, and I would like to believe that they would have addressed any issue that they thought was not right.

Again, we like to hope all of our guest would have a pleasant experience while here from start to finish, and it becomes quite disappointing to everyone involved (guest and staff) when no one is following the rules or proper procedures or enforcing the rules of this facility. It takes everyone working together to ensure a memorable stay (for all the right reasons) that will make you want to be a repeat guest. Of course, we would like it that your experience you had here would not completely deter you from coming back. We are thankful for your honest feedback, and know that we are taking your thoughts into great consideration.

Reviewed February 29, 2016 via mobile

Got kicked out for a stupid little thing and now I'm not allowed back there! Horrible service!!! They are not so nice! They don't know what privacy is, we put the do not disturb sign up and we still had people bothering us! I recommend not going here.

Stayed: February 2016, traveled with friends
RepofHilde754, General Manager at Michigan City Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2016

To whom it may concern
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay.we appreciate your feedback about your experience at the hotel.It is unfortunately that we had to take drastic measures and that the police escorted you out of the building.According to the Police report there was a disturbance coming from your room the officer gave you a warning but it got ignored.We do not kick people out without any reason .
Again sorry for the inconvenience
Best regards
Hilde Alt
Clarion In n & Suites
Michigan City
219=879-0311

Reviewed February 21, 2016 via mobile

We went to the Clarion on Feb 5th. Never again. Once again we had to sign a sheet saying we would not have a party. Also, as we were checking in there was a sign on the front desk, stating no children under 14 in whirlpool. And no more than 5 people in a room. Also, no kids could be dropped off to be picked up later.
At one point there was a young woman watching 11 kids by herself. We know because as we sat in the whirlpool, she was counting them. Also, there was 4 kids in the whirlpool that were 5 & under.
When other adults came in they brought a birthday cake and tubs of ice cream. That sounds like party fare to me.
If you enjoy large parties with lots of small children, with little adult supervision, and a hotel staff that doesn't care, this is the place for you.

Stayed: February 2016, traveled as a couple
RepofHilde754, N.A/GSR at Michigan City Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2016

Hello BILKAT,

We want to personally thank you for taking the time out to write about your most recent stay with us at the Clarion Inn. Your stay with us over the weekend of Feb. 5th seemed to have not gone as planned, I understand how disappointing that may be, but we give to you our sincerest apologies, for we would like for all of our guest to have an enjoyable experience while they are here. The pool/oasis area has become a recent focus of ours (to begin regulating) due to the fact there have been some comments lately. I completely hear your argument about the hotel/pool policies that we have all of our guest to acknowledge upon checking-in, nevertheless, they are some individuals (no matter what the situation is) who choose to go against the grain. Please understand it is not a matter of fact that "we do not care," we do care, and we are listening. The steps we are currently taking to help make a better experience for everyone within the oasis area is adding a new job position where the staff member duty is to monitor the pool area. This will help to control the area by tracking the number of people that are going to the pool/hot tub, as well as putting a stop to those who think they can just agree to signing the rules, yet still do what they want to do. Again, I do understand your frustration, yet on the same token, I know kids like to have fun. It is going to take us (the guest and hotel staff) working together to create a place in the pool area that is safe, enjoyable, and pleasant to be at, all at the same time.

Other than the pool issue being taken care of, I hope you/your party were able to enjoy the other features of the hotel (the attached restaurant and the complimentary full hot breakfast). We appreciate your feedback, we as our hotel looks forward to implementing the necessary changes that will make this facility function better as a whole. We would certainly hope that you will not make this your last time, and we thank you for your patience with us.