“Great stay”

Super 8 Michigan City
Ranked #5 of 16 Hotels in Michigan City
“Great stay”
Reviewed March 2, 2011

There are a lot of hotels in Michigan city, but we chose to stay at the super 8. Can't complain, nice rooms and cheap rates. We will come back.

• Stayed January 2011
1 Thank Lnl242

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
ann arbor
Reviewed November 8, 2010

We decided to spend the night in Michigan City due to heavy rain and lots of traffic on the expressway. After laying on our beds watching TV I discovered a bed bug crawling in my bed... then a second one and a third. The first two were adults, the third was a baby (per girl at front desk). We checked out immediately and decided to brave the rain and semi trucks. The girl at the front desk confirmed "yep, they're bed bugs.. I've seen them before at another place I worked at". No apology, also no question about a refund. I'm guessing that this isn't totally unheard of at the Super 8. Seeing (in comments) that there was also a bed bug issue in 2009, I don't think they've done anything to take care of this problem. I/we won't be staying there again.

Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank lin093
michigancity, General Manager at Super 8 Michigan City, responded to this review, February 25, 2011
we called arrow pest control and took care of the problem very next day, now our place is nice and clean

Travelers are raving about these Michigan City hotels

Guelph, Canada
Reviewed July 31, 2010

Ended up here after girl at Red Roof Inn next door would not accept our coupon - turns out Friday is an event. As coupon was not valid during events.

A decent average hotel. Girl at the front desk was very helpful, as we were unfamiliar with the area.

Great place if you need to crash for the night. Also 24 Walmart across the street for anything you need

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Petoskey, Michigan
Reviewed June 7, 2010

I stayed at this hotel while traveling through for the night. The woman at the desk was nice but was watching the tv while checking me in, so that turned me off right away. The beds were uncomfortable... I could feel the springs. Overall it was disappointing. I think the Comfort Inn would be a better choice for the extra cost.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank traveling1128
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed June 2, 2010

We booked a room with this hotel online for $67 night. We booked a room on the second floor and the girl who checked us in seemed annoyed at that fact. She tried giving us a room on the 1st floor so the cleaning ladies wouldn't have to clean upstairs. The rest of the staff was very polite. The hotel was clean. The room did not have a clothes iron or ironing board as promised online. Motel is at a busy, noisy intersection with lots of restaurants surrounding it.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed April 10, 2010

Looking for a place to stay on the labor day weekend is probably not such a good idea, especially when its close to Lake Michigan and supposedly sunny. It was only Friday night but my preferred hotels near Michigan City were either booked or required a two-night stay. I found the Super 8 which had decent reviews and an acceptable price for a Friday night on a holiday weekend. I made my reservation on the internet and left my credit card number. Basically that's the point where I relax because I should now have a room. Lucky me, I did, others may not have been so lucky: while I was checking in I heard the lady at the Front Desk on the phone and later talking to the guests currently checking in and telling all of them that she wasn't holding rooms for people until late in the night when others are banging her doors. I don't know if that actually turned into a problem for someone, but to me that's unacceptable...maybe she had a bad day.
But that was staff, or personal feeling, to the hotel itself: The property is located in a typical motel location, near a big highway intersection. Walmart is accross the street (you'll need a car though, no crosswalks...), there's a nice family restaurant next door and if you head towards Michigan City you'll find a lot more of the same - absolutely no complaints regarding that. The motel, the rooms, well, everything is very old. Wireless internet is available, TV, coffeemaker, everything you need - but old and worn, carpets, curtains...the windows should be cleaned. I won't comment in any way on the people staying here, because it was a holiday weekend and everything was booked. I paid almost 90$ for the night, which is definitely overpriced for this hotel. However, if you're looking for a place to stay (and the Red Roof Inn next door is booked...), feel free to come. There are no real complaints, if the price is right, sleep here. It's not luxurious or anything, just a basic motel. Not my first choice, but I would still recommend it, depending on the price.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
england
Reviewed February 10, 2010

I have been staying here for about 8 years or so. two to three times a month and this hotel is the best I have ever stayed in the area.Nice and clean beds are comfortable and firm. great service great people.nice and safe place to spend a night. restaurent are closed by. I would recomend this hotel it's a great place to stay.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank jensenj