“Decent place for the night”

Super 8 Michigan City
Ranked #5 of 16 Hotels in Michigan City
Reviewed July 31, 2010

Ended up here after girl at Red Roof Inn next door would not accept our coupon - turns out Friday is an event. As coupon was not valid during events.

A decent average hotel. Girl at the front desk was very helpful, as we were unfamiliar with the area.

Great place if you need to crash for the night. Also 24 Walmart across the street for anything you need

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 7, 2010

I stayed at this hotel while traveling through for the night. The woman at the desk was nice but was watching the tv while checking me in, so that turned me off right away. The beds were uncomfortable... I could feel the springs. Overall it was disappointing. I think the Comfort Inn would be a better choice for the extra cost.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank traveling1128
Reviewed June 2, 2010

We booked a room with this hotel online for $67 night. We booked a room on the second floor and the girl who checked us in seemed annoyed at that fact. She tried giving us a room on the 1st floor so the cleaning ladies wouldn't have to clean upstairs. The rest of the staff was very polite. The hotel was clean. The room did not have a clothes iron or ironing board as promised online. Motel is at a busy, noisy intersection with lots of restaurants surrounding it.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed April 10, 2010

Looking for a place to stay on the labor day weekend is probably not such a good idea, especially when its close to Lake Michigan and supposedly sunny. It was only Friday night but my preferred hotels near Michigan City were either booked or required a two-night stay. I found the Super 8 which had decent reviews and an acceptable price for a Friday night on a holiday weekend. I made my reservation on the internet and left my credit card number. Basically that's the point where I relax because I should now have a room. Lucky me, I did, others may not have been so lucky: while I was checking in I heard the lady at the Front Desk on the phone and later talking to the guests currently checking in and telling all of them that she wasn't holding rooms for people until late in the night when others are banging her doors. I don't know if that actually turned into a problem for someone, but to me that's unacceptable...maybe she had a bad day.
But that was staff, or personal feeling, to the hotel itself: The property is located in a typical motel location, near a big highway intersection. Walmart is accross the street (you'll need a car though, no crosswalks...), there's a nice family restaurant next door and if you head towards Michigan City you'll find a lot more of the same - absolutely no complaints regarding that. The motel, the rooms, well, everything is very old. Wireless internet is available, TV, coffeemaker, everything you need - but old and worn, carpets, curtains...the windows should be cleaned. I won't comment in any way on the people staying here, because it was a holiday weekend and everything was booked. I paid almost 90$ for the night, which is definitely overpriced for this hotel. However, if you're looking for a place to stay (and the Red Roof Inn next door is booked...), feel free to come. There are no real complaints, if the price is right, sleep here. It's not luxurious or anything, just a basic motel. Not my first choice, but I would still recommend it, depending on the price.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed February 10, 2010

I have been staying here for about 8 years or so. two to three times a month and this hotel is the best I have ever stayed in the area.Nice and clean beds are comfortable and firm. great service great people.nice and safe place to spend a night. restaurent are closed by. I would recomend this hotel it's a great place to stay.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank jensenj
Reviewed October 12, 2009

I have stayed in this Hotel numerous of times and found it to be okay for the price, but over the weekend I was there and the next morning in one of the beds the one that we didn't use I look down to find a Bed Bug crawling and I killed it. I called in informed the desk clerk. He did not come up there he ask me what do I want him to do about it. I told him I would like to speak to the manager. He inform me that he will be in around 9:30am. We decide to stick around and wait mean while killing another bed bug. While sitting in the chairs waiting for the manager to arrive we saw and caught 3 more bed bugs put them in plastic bags and took them down to the desk clerk. I would not recommend anyone to stay there until they correct the problem

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank csexsicds12
Reviewed May 8, 2009

I am not sure if this place has improved in recent history, but you can ignore the bad reviews this hotel has received. It was very clean, very quiet, in an excellent location one block off of I-94, and the staff was knowledgeable and helpful regarding the surrounding area. Combine this with the fact that it was $25 -50 cheaper per night than any other hotel chain in the vicinity and you have an obvious 5 star rating.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family