“cheap, and run down”

Ranked #13 of 16 Hotels in Michigan City
Niles
“cheap, and run down”
Reviewed May 31, 2013

You will get a good rate for a night's stay, but the place is definitely in need of some repair. The staff was very pleasant and easy to work with, the rooms were clean, and the air conditioner worked, but the rooms and the buildings are falling apart. If cheap is what you are after, this is it, but we won't stay there again unless I read some reviews that say the place has been fixed up. Too bad, it was convenient for our travel plans.

Room Tip: From the look of the outside of the buildings, which we didn't see when we arrived at night, I d...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Tecumseh, Michigan
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We stayed here because they were pet friendly. We had reserved a room that was supposed to be a king bed with a sofa bed. When arrived in the room it was just one bed. As I have an autistic toddler who was sick and needed a bed of his own he didn't get one. When I went up front they said we don't have sofa beds. When I showed them that my reservation said that they tracked one down but didn't bring it. When I went later they said it was going to be there in the morning. I asked what good that would do. was my son supposed to sleep on the floor. I asked to speak with the manager and the lady finally changed the room to a room with 2 double beds. They would just put someone in a different room. I than asked for a refrigerator too as my son was on antibiotic and it had to be refrigerated. Took them till late in the 2nd day to get us to the refrigerator. We had to put the antibiotic over ice. It was an okay room but the service was terrible.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Michigan City hotels

Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed April 30, 2013

Dirty carpeting, Bathroom door had been kicked in and the jam and door not replaced, a 6 to 8 in hole in the wall, TV was just Snow, dead bugs in the light, light diffuser broken and hanging, sink drain stopper would not hold, hot water would boil you or it was pee warm.

Room Tip: Don't Stay Here!!!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
St. Augustine, Florida
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Stayed here twice in one month. Both times I had a room with a totally plugged toilet. Staff gave me a plunger that was broken. Thus no toilet usable in room. The second stay I had a bed without a frame. Boxspring and matress were on the floor. Room next to me partied out front of my room until 3 AM. Hotel staff said "well, these things happen."
Stay anywhere but here!

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank B T
Reviewed September 9, 2012 via mobile

Prior to the stay my boyfriend reserved a double bed room on-line.when checking into the inn, the woman at the front desk said all the double rooms were full and he could have a king size with jacuzzi tub. The room cost 100, and was not worth the money at all.
It was disgusting. The tub or drains would make loud noises every 15mins. I didnt get any sleep. The bedmattress was very lopsided and uncomfortable. The pillows were flat. The temp in the room wouldnt be controlled right. One minute it would be extremly hot the next freezing.
If youre going to pay 100$ you might as well stay at a nice hotel.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank AudaciouZ3
Palmetto, Florida
Reviewed July 9, 2012

We should have read the reviews prior to staying here, but it was the only pet friendly hotel with a room on the first floor. At first glance it didn't seem bad although it was fairly pricey given what it was. But it was only for one night, so how bad could it be. The room was dingy and the mattress was about 2 inches thick. At least it was relatively firm, but every time I moved I could feel the whole bed move with me which I'm sure did not help my husband sleep. All in all it served its purpose, but I will not stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank counselme
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed July 4, 2012

I actually could not wait to write this review. I was so disappointed in this hotel. I normally like Knights Inn and have never had a problem with them until now.
This was just a weekend road trip, I really just needed a place to sleep, but I did expect more. I went it a little earlier before check in time to see if I could get into my room. I couldn’t, I told them that I had booked and paid for the room through Kayak. The woman that I spoke to told me that I ws in the system and I didn’t need to bring my paperwork with me when I came back. Well I came back in two hours to check in and everything went okay another guy checked me in and once again I said that I booked it through Kayak. I get to my room and the first thing is my phone is ringing, it is the front desk. It is the first lady that I spoke to telling me that they need my credit card number. I firmly said that I paid for it through Kayak as I had stated to her before. She said they would find it. My thought was are you’ve got to o be kidding me! I was not at all happy with the room. The furniture was stained and broken! The only thing that looked decent in the room was the television. There was not any type of information in the room except for a card that had the name of the girls that supposedly cleaned the room. Nothing to indicate television stations, restaurants, area attractions, nothing! I turned on the TV and I had to do a lot of channel surfing and I could not find anything. I was pretty upset.
I was actually surprised that there was two in one shampoo in the bathroom; I did not use it though. There were no tissues, not even a half empty box. I really needed them, but I decided to deal with it and not content the front desk. I was pretty upset about the call from them earlier.
When it was time to go to sleep I was appalled to see that there was not a blanket on the bed. Just a sheet and bedspread. The pillows were awful. They were scrunched up and not flat like normal pillows should be. I was really surprised that I did not have neck pain in the morning!
In the morning I went down to the lobby for breakfast. I was expecting juice and assortment of pastry, muffins, maybe toast, but all they had was coffee and doughnuts! They had all this space and had the doughnuts in a tiny basket. I was almost sure that this was all that they had for the day, but I took two. I took them back to my room, ate and got cleaned up, packed up my car and was ready to get out of there.
I checked out okay. I was really afraid that they were going to make me pay for the room. I got a copy of my bill just to make sure that there were not any charges on it. I didn’t look at it really closely right away, but when I did I noticed that it did have my name on it, but the address was incorrect. The address was from Texas! I live in Indiana.
I was extremely disappointed! I am sure that there are people that reside at this hotel, there were grills in front of rooms and junky cars.

Room Tip: Don't do it!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo