“A stay to remember”

Blue Chip Casino Hotel Spa
Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Michigan City
Reviewed May 10, 2009

This casino/hotel is great. my husband and I stayed one night in a suite and we had a blast. our room was beautiful we had a jacuzzi tub and huge tv. the room was very clean and classy. (we stayed in the older tower) The casino was fun we won $150 wooo hoooo.
the buffet was good it had a variety of foods from crab legs to prim rib. I loved the fact that they had 3 bars. overall I would stay again!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank wjhedger
There are newer reviews for Blue Chip Casino Hotel Spa

Reviewed April 12, 2009

We went to Blue Chip Casino because my sister had a room and concert tickets comp'd. I have never been to Michigan City before and think it would be more enjoyable in warmer temps. But this casino apparently added rooms and wanted to get the word out. I can't vouch for room prices, but I would suggest getting a room in the new tower. My sister said that there were other rooms in the older section that were only so-so. And if you want a better view, get a room up as high as you can get, looking out at the water. Our room was on the 15th floor and faced the parking lot--it will be a much prettier view when things green up a bit. My sister's room did look out at the water, but it wasn't an unobstructed view and if you could get past the industrial views, you could faintly see Chicago in the distance.

The room was new, and so you can't complain much at all. My sister had a small box of candy/nuts on the bureau when she arrived, along with a welcome note. We didn't have that, but then we weren't the ones who got comp'd. The beds were comfy, the tv stations were ample. Lots of lighting choices, and you could do most of the light adjustments from the comfort of the bed. Some worked on sensors, so the lamp lit up when you walked in to the room, etc. Windows ran across the entire outside wall, so the room had lots of natural light--and privacy wouldn't have been a problem in my sister's room. The heat warmed the room quickly and quietly. The decor isn't my cup of tea, but it was new, so very clean. There was also a small desk in the room.

The bathroom was nice and big, with the toilet closed off from the shower/vanity with a sliding door--hate those. The shower was huge--good water pressure, but the noise of the water going down the drain was unusually loud--I was afraid of waking my daughter in the other room. Towels were big, tissues were soft, and the hair dryer worked well. The faucet was a bit hard to work--don't know who thought that design up. The closet has one of those sensors that lights up the closet when you open the door--however, the darn thing turned off and on by itself all night. Thankfully, it didn't light the room up or I would have had to stuff a towel under the closet door. The closet had an iron/ironing board and a safe.

At night, hall noise was noticable, but we had a room not far from the elevator. There was an ice/vending machine room close by. My big complaint was that there was no vending machine for snacks. Not everyone wants to spend the evening in the casino, and there was not a big choice of snacks to be found in the "deli" or gift shop. Having said that, there was turn-down service and we found a box of four trouffles on the bed when we returned to our room. Nice touch and they were wonderful.

The casino itself wasn't huge in size, but we have stayed in similar places before in Washington State, where we live. We don't gamble, but would rather spend the time on the beach anyway. The real reason why we went to Blue Chip was to attend a concert by Lifehouse, that was held in what I would call a banquet-type room. There was a stage, but not auditorium seating. The concert was great, but not the kind of setting I would want to go to again to hear a live band. There were a couple restaurants in the casino, including a steak house, a sports bar, a buffet dining room and a small cocktail lounge. I guess there is also a full-service restaurant that features live music, but we didn't visit that because there was a long line waiting to get into the place. All in all, I felt that all the eating places/sports bar/etc. were too close in proximity to each other. Made the hotel feel very small. And the gift shop could have stocked a few more snacks to buy since there were no vending machines for this type of thing.

We really enjoyed ourselves and I would recommend the place to anyone who enjoyed gambling or wanted to just get away for a weekend. I wasn't there long enough to vouch for the actual town itself, but we did go to dinner at a place called Galveston's and had a nice burger there. I would go again myself if the room prices were reasonable and I just wanted an evening to relax. But if you don't gamble, there isn't much of a draw except the beach, from what I could see.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank gotonodj
Reviewed March 1, 2009

Stayed in the new tower on Thursday to celebrate our wedding anniversary. The room was beautiful.

Key points:

Bathroom has a separate rooms for the toilet and shower / basin.

Walk-in large shower, stone floor and bench area.

Flat Panel TV

Room lights are controlled from panels on each side of the bed. Automatic setting for soft room lighting.

The door has electronic indicators for Do Not Disturb / Make Room Up. No need to open door.

Overall, the tower addition changes Blue Chip from a day trip to a destination

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank donkin
Reviewed February 7, 2009

I enjoy going to Blue Chip, but unfortunately, lose more than I win almost every time. Never have any big hits, and by comparison of my play at other area casinos, have decided that Blue Chip Slots are just too tight. They ought to let you win once in a while, dont they know, most people just give it back anyway!

• Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed February 5, 2009

we didn't stay at the hotel, but we have played in the casino numerous time and have enjoyed it very much. we plan to go back again.

Reviewed January 25, 2009

The new additions look good. Need to do better with organizing with their events. Alcohol lines were to scattered with people cutting in front of you with no rope line guides. I realize that the new part just opened and they have a few bugs to work out and sure they will in the future. Need a exhaust fan above the smoking area. I smoke and it was pretty bad ventilation. Brunch was very under helped with clearing and setting up for more people to be seated. Slot machines are very tight. Unless you have at least $500.00 or more, don't plan on staying long. You would think after putting in $100.00 to $150.00 into one machine you would get some kind of return. I was put into the old hotel (Blue Chip Tower) and the room was dusty, under the trash can was litter and the faucets were splattered with the previous peoples toothpaste. Not very appealing.

• Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank tjssmommy
Reviewed January 24, 2009

I have stayed there three times and can't wait to go back. I want to stay at the new casino and hotel. Everyone that works there were wonderful and very helpful.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Michigan City
Hampton Inn & Suites Michigan City
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Michigan City
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Michigan City
Baymont Inn & Suites Michigan City
Fairfield Inn & Suites New Buffalo
Holiday Inn Express New Buffalo

Been to Blue Chip Casino Hotel Spa? Share your experiences!