“Fun Casino Close To Home”

Blue Chip Casino Hotel Spa
Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Michigan City
Reviewed August 17, 2013

As a frequent visitor to the Blue Chip Casino I would recommend to anyone for a night of adult fun!

There are two sides of the hotel, the Spa Blue Tower which is a better view, newer, and is a lot nicer. The Blue Chip Tower is the original hotel, it provides decent rooms, but are more dated. There is a pool nice pool with two jacuzzi located in the basement of the Blue Chip Tower.

Highlights of the hotel include, lots of food options, live bands quite often, casino fun, night club atmosphere at Vegas Baby! and within walking distance to Washington Park beach and a short drive to the Lighthouse outlet malls. Only suggestion would be a 24/7 like convenience store for any needs/snacks. There are no close gas stations.

Definitely sign up for the B Connected card to earn offers and discounts at food locations.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank smonroe13

Reviewed August 17, 2013

Our experience was quite different than some previous reviews. Everything was perfect. We were in the Spa tower and maybe that makes a difference. The bathroom was wonderful --- large, clean and well equipped.

Room Tip: Go to the spa tower.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Randalljay
Reviewed August 15, 2013

We booked a room for one night when we came up to pick blueberries. We got a duel queen non smoking room. The price was reasonable because we booked during the week. The hotel has two towers. The new tower is more expensive than the older tower and for the price that we paid, we were placed in the older area.
The room was fine. The beds were comforable, because there were only two of us. If we had kids, it would have been pretty tight. There was not enough outlets for our electronics and the staff had shorted us coffee for the morning.
We ate ate at their buffet and it was OK. Again just like most of the buffets that casinos run. We would have eaten in the steak house but it was closed that day.
My opinion of the staff was that some of them were friendly and some so so. The all had the right words but I got the impression that they were going through the motions.
Some of the other reviews were very negative and I did not have that experience. I would stay there again. I just feel that its a place to stay not a place you can't wait to get to.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Larry L
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Just want to let people know do not waste your money here! It was expensive for the hotel room me and my girlfriends got a suite that had a hole in the door and the lady offered us another room and that was followed by a just kidding we can't because we're sold out. The manager at the front desk was so rude and disrespectful to us and the restaurant / night club manage was even worse! Just think twice about staying here and if you need a recommendation go to the Grand Geneva in Lake Geneva best staff / experience ever!!!

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank AJefer
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Not handicap friendly with a push wheelchair. LOTS of walking. Hotel guests have to park with all casino patrons. There are some very rude front desk employees. I had asked for some more coffee packets for the one cup coffee maker in the room because there were only two. My husband and I are heavy coffee drinkers. I was told I could only have two. Then I asked if I could get a mirror because I didn't bring one because they advertise make up mirror in the bathroom. No mirror. I asked for even a tv tray because there was no table in the room as advertised. No luck. There is no counters in the bathroom. Poker machines were terrible. Dumped $1000 and this is how accommodating they were. I'm from Las Vegas and they don't even come close to making customers happy. Also before we got there I called about 7pm to let them know we were running late.I had reservations but was told I had to call back at 8pm or if we weren't there they would give away my room. I told her that was why I was calling to hold my room. She was insistent that I needed to call back at 8pm. That made no sense whatsoever. The room descriptions are not updated. I was told they had Krispy Kreme donuts. They used to months ago I was told. I will never go back to this property. Bed was comfortable.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank 77Lisaanne
Sarah S, Boyd Gaming Customer Service at Blue Chip Casino Hotel Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2013

We appreciate you taking the time to let us know about your recent experience. I apologize that your stay was not in keeping with our usual high service standards. We make every effort to make each guests stay a delightful one. We continually monitor our guest services and your input is very helpful in improving our products and services. We apologize that your experience was unsatisfactory.

Reviewed August 3, 2013

We booked the most expensive room available through Hotel.com. It was suppose to be a Non-smoking Premiere King Suite in the Spa Tower. When we checked in, we were told that we could not get a Premiere Suite, that we could not get a room with a King Bed, we could not be in the Spa Tower, and worst of all that they were giving us a smoking room.

I explained that my wife is pregnant and very sensitive to smoke. We needed a non-smoking room at least. The clerk said I could speak to the Supervisor (she implied that the supervisor would likely be able to upgrade us so that we could have a non-smoking room - which proves that there were non-smoking rooms available).

The supervisor came out and acted like we were disturbing her. She was very rude and condescending. I explained that we have already prepaid for a much better room that what they were offering us. She said "This was booked through expedia. We do not have to give you any specific room when you book through expedia. We can give you any room we want when you book that way." First, we did not book through expedia, we booked through Hotels.com. Second, we pre-paid for a nice non-smoking suite in the Spa Tower. They were offering us a room one the first floor that was saturated with smoke and had twin beds.

I asked them to at least find us a non-smoking room (which they clerk said they were some open). I showed them a copy of the reservation and they acknowledged that we booked and paid for the better room. I asked if we could pay extra to get a non-smoking room and the Supervisor said no. She was clearly irritated that I dared to complain. Finally I asked if we would be refunded the difference between the cost of the room that we paid for vs the room they were offering. The Supervisor said no and then added, "I guess you shouldn't book through expedia next time." Again, I did not book through expedia, but that was not the point.

Room Tip: Book the cheapest room they have, because even if you book a nicer room, they will not honor the res...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bob M
Sarah S, Boyd Gaming Customer Service at Blue Chip Casino Hotel Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We apologize that your experience was not in keeping with our usual high standards. We would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you personally if you would contact our Assistant General Manager.

Reviewed August 1, 2013

When we pulled up to the Blue Chip, the front entrance was pretty dazzling. We stayed at a room in the Spa Blu Tower.The room was pretty nice for what we paid for. It had a great view of the lake and the shower was really amazing. But then we decided to go for a swim and when we got there what we saw was less then appealing. The pool was absolutely disgusting! The scent of chlorine made my eyes water as we walked into the pool area. The pool was filled to the brim with people, way too many to actually enjoy the pool. The pool water was a toasty temperature which wasn't bad, but the water lacked majorly in clarity. I mean, I could barely make out the outline of my legs! Never in my life have I've seen a hotel pool look so murky! I suppose in order to compensate for the pool water being opaque and disgusting, they added loads of chlorine to the extent that the pool water is now scolding lava for your eyes. Just getting a small amount of this pool water in my eyes made them blood shot red. Oh, and if you accidentally swallow the water, you're going to have a real fun time choking that up. In addition to the battery acid water, there were mass amounts of hair floating around in that soup mix of a swimming pool! I could literally feel the hair sticking to my body. The spa tubs next to the pool were not as bad, but they could still use a good cleaning.

Room Tip: Blu spa tower was pretty nice
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Holiday Inn Express New Buffalo
Red Roof Inn Michigan City
Red Roof Inn Michigan City
#10 of 16 in Michigan City

Been to Blue Chip Casino Hotel Spa? Share your experiences!