“Nice but overpriced”

Blue Chip Casino Hotel Spa
Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Michigan City
Reviewed July 21, 2013

We weren't expecting to stay there but our car trip was long. This is a huge casino and hotel but they had very few rooms left. Luckily we were able to get a room in the Spa Tower (no spa, just a name) with a nice view. Very nice room (not cheap) but had to ask for more towels. I do believe the room was pricey but we were tired and didn't have a choice. Having two hot tubs and a nice pool was nice but there was no supervision and younger kids couldn't have fun with teens taking it over. One lady said she complained but nobody showed up to check it out. Casino nice but no wow factor.

Room Tip: Spa tower rooms are a little nicer. View nice. Pool unsupervised. Way too many people in the pool.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank gymdoggrams

Reviewed July 13, 2013

My teens and I stopped in for a quick overnight stay (hoping to visit the Dunes, but weather didn't permit) on our way home from Wisconsin. The facility is very nice and clean, brightly lit in the shops/restaurant/casino area, but quiet in the hotel area. The pool area was nice, with two hot tubs allowing plenty of room for relaxation. I would definitely stay again if I am in the area - especially if I am looking for some gaming.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Debbi C
Reviewed July 9, 2013

On July 5th we made a tremendous mistake! We did not read the reviews below regarding Blue Chip Casino. Let me begin by saying that I spent 40+ years in a customer service field. I have never been treated so poorly by staff members in my life. There appears to be a common theme to both positive & negative reviews, and that is customer service. Sarah S., the Boyd Gaming Customer Service Manager who has responded to many of the reviews, has failed miserably is her job responsibilities, as it appears NOTHING has changed with respect to the attitudes/professionalism from her feedback to management at Blue Chip.
We arrived on July 6th. Let me begin with our first encounter, which was the valet. We were excited to do some gambling and the valet barely said hello, gave my husband his ticket, and never said "good luck, have a great day" or anything to welcome us. Next, we visited the players card counter, to receive the same type of non-service. To the delight of Blue Chip, we gambled for several hours and spent over $1000. We are not high rollers as compared to some, but when we find a place to our liking, we revisit it numerous times. The beverage attendants were virtually non existent and when you did find one, they acted as if you were putting them out. THEN......we made the mistake of deciding to dine at Options Buffet. I'm still confused as to why you would post your buffet prices, when in fact you charge based on what you're serving. Let me explain. Prices posted for the dinner buffet are $19.99. WITH two $5.00 coupons, our bill came to $49.99. I asked the cashier why so high, and his response was, "well tonight we are serving prime rib & crab legs." OK...........I'm not eating either, and there was nothing posted regarding a change for that particular evening. Non the less.....I paid it and went on to an even more appalling dinner experience. During my visit to the buffet, the shift manager was in front of me flipping her hair over the food (without a hairnet) & barking out orders to the staff. Her actions were again reflected in the attitudes of her servers, which were very poor. The servers appeared very unhappy to be there and their customer service reflected such. The fried chicken was dry & tough, the NY strip steak cold, the broccoli tasted like FISH..(I have no idea how they accomplished that) and the desserts were tasteless. In fact, I requested 2 pieces of pecan pie & the "Dessert Nazi" acted as though it was a pain in the butt to get it for me. I was waiting to hear 'NO PIE FOR YOU!"
Based on the other reviews....I am so thankful we didn't stay in the hotel.
Now for the upside to this adventure..........we drove out as fast as we could and found "casino heaven." It's called The Four Winds. Customer service & hospitality started when you drove up to the door. The most pleasant experience since we left Las Vegas 2 week ago!
In closing (yes......I'm finally going to shut up) my recommendation to Sarah S. is to please visit Four Winds and implement a customer service training program to mirror that of The Four Winds. This will ultimately save you time in replying to the negative comments about Blue Chip. If you would chose to comp us anything for the unpleasant experience at Blue Chip, please do so at The Four Winds.
Lastly, a letter in much more detail is en-route to Boyd Gaming Corporation in Las Vegas.

Room Tip: Options Buffet would be a great place to open a restaurant. Also.....travel 10 minutes down I-94 to...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
9  Thank Teresagoo
Sarah S, Boyd Gaming Customer Service at Blue Chip Casino Hotel Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We apologize that your experience was not in keeping with our usual high standards. We would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you personally if you would contact our Assistant General Manager.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

The rooms were very clean and nicely appointed. I didn't like the smoke in the casino - however the casino had a great selection of penny, nickel and quarter slots. I had to wait in line about 30 minutes to check in... that was bad. The pool area was very small for such a large property. There is nothing for kids to do except swim and they really don't want to do that if the pool is full. adults must accompany kids under 18.. really???? don't take your kids if your intention is to do something adult-like. I mentioned this to the clerk when I checked out and she said, "Families are more than welcome to stay here, but we don't cater to kids. There are so many things to do here, off the property." That wasn't my point. If adults want to gamble, they can not if they have to watch their teenage kids (or any age) kids swim. That part was a huge (HUGE) disappointment.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank biteme55
Reviewed July 8, 2013

This hotel touts its fancy rooms and luxurious style. This is definitely still Michigan city. There was minimal customer service. The room was called a suite and it was a very average hotel room and it truly stunk. We I’m not sure if it was BO or some other stink but it was gross. The air conditioner was super loud and the TV didn't work. I don’t think I’ll go back. Also the “nice” restaurant was fair. The food was pretty good but the service was below average and let’s not talk about the fact that there is a smoking section.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank RobynBloomie
Sarah S, Boyd Gaming Customer Service at Blue Chip Casino Hotel Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback regarding your recent visit to our property. Your comments have been shared with the Housekeeping Manager for immediate correction and/or repair. We would welcome an opportunity to speak further about your visit to our property. Please contact our Director of Hotel Operations. Again, we appreciate your feedback as it allows us to continually improve our service levels and overall guest satisfaction.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

Stayed here for one night on the 28th May while traveling between Chicago and Toronto

Paid $122 incl tax for a room in the Blue Spa Tower via Expedia.co.uk

The drive through the local area to this hotel is not a pleasant one - and the hotel is not located in the best of areas either. You can get a view of Lake Michigan but a dirty great factory of some sorts in the distance mars the view.

The hotel itself - very very nice!

We opted to stay in the Blue Spa Tower rooms at this hotel from tips off Tripadvisor and they proved to be very correct. Check in was very efficient and staff were polite and courteous. As you walk into the main reception area of the hotel through the front doors the smell of cigarette smoke hits you in the face from the gaming area. Yuk!!! And the smoke follows you all the way to the lifts up to the room. But this is a casino hotel so until US law totally bans smoking in hotels and common areas we have just got to put up with it.

The room itself was a joy! Terriffic 4 star standard from the offset. Floor to ceiling windows that provide a great view from 23 floors up. Even better at night and even MORE better when we got hit by a raging thunderstorm and could watch it all from our room! Awesome seeing the lightening strike the lake in the distance.

The beds in the room were super comfy and I had a brilliant nights sleep. There is no free internet at this property and no free breakfast - but in the room was a mini fridge and one cup coffee maker. The bathroom was also beautiful!(see my pictures for the real truth on the room). I cannot fault my room at all and it is right up there with the best in Las Vegas so 10/10!

We opted to eat at the buffet at night as there was a special on for $10 a go. Good value we thought - BUT the food was not up to scratch. Granted the selection was OK but it was only tepid warm food. Not one dish was hot - and that's the truth. They did not want to top up the food either - just left the scraps to go cold. The other nasty element in this restaurant is that the smoking section is right next to the non smoking section! So even if you ask to sit in non smoking - ciggy smoke still wafts over to your table from those nasty smokers! Get it banned!

A very nice visit overall and would use this property again in the future.

PS - come on America lets ban smoking totally in public areas - especially eating places! Its dirty, disgusting and a killer!

Room Tip: Don't eat at the buffet - it is not very good and not a patch on Las Vegas standards..........
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Darlo44
Reviewed July 5, 2013

We stay at the Blue Chip in June 2013. The rooms were filthy, service was terrible, the restaurant were all closed at 9 o'clock, so if you wanted something to eat you would have to wait in line for 30 minutes at the deli along with 20 other people. To top this off my credit card was compromised to the sum of 4300.00 dollars.Best part of all, I told the front desk 3 times of my problems and it was like" O well things happen".

Never again will my family stay at the Blue Chip. I am not a person who has ever written a negative review of any place I have stayed at but this was the worse. I could not get over the lack of concern for guest staying at the Blue Chip. This is no VEGAS!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank poolside_8
Sarah S, Boyd Gaming Customer Service at Blue Chip Casino Hotel Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2013

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit to Blue Chip. As Director of Hotel Operations I was very disappointed to read about the condition of your room and the lack of service/empathy given to you by our Front Desk Managment team. I would welcome an opportunity to discuss the events in more detail. Feel free to contact me or our Guest Services Manager so we may discuss this matter further.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Michigan City
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Michigan City
Hampton Inn & Suites Michigan City
Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Michigan City, IN
3 mi away
Baymont Inn & Suites Michigan City
Holiday Inn Express New Buffalo
Baymont Inn & Suites New Buffalo

Been to Blue Chip Casino Hotel Spa? Share your experiences!