“week end getaway”

Ranked #4 of 16 Hotels in Michigan City
justice
“week end getaway”
Reviewed April 3, 2013

My husband and I always wanted to try the Blue chip casino for a week end. I booked a room in the new tower, blue spa, per recommendation from the triadvisor's travelers..The checked in was painless, i was given a choice between higher floor or lower floor. I choose the higher floor, 18th. The view of michigan lake was beautiful, the room was non smoking and spacious for two adult and two teenagers. The bathroom was nice and clean..The bed, pillow and blanket was soft and comfortable.
The dinner buffet for friday and saturday was very expensive and nothing really special about it. The breakfast on sunday was nice but most of the food was cold, except the made to order omellete station. The pool was nice and my kids enjoyed it. We were not a gambler, so we didn't really spend time in a casino, but it was nice to know that it has a non smoking part as well.The location was nice, close to beach, outlet store and wineries. Didn't try the spa but went to look at the sauna and steam room. It was nice but it was expensive for $20/day,at least for me.
Overall, it was nice restful family week-end but would probably go somewhere else next time....

Room Tip: higher floor on a new tower, spa blue..
1 Thank arlenejustice

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
  • Korean first
Indiana
Reviewed March 30, 2013

First things first....I have been to this casino/hotel MANY times. I am a local and I don't live far away. I always get free room, etc. offers but rarely use them. I'm not a cheapskate when it comes to tipping and playing - my husband and I regularly spend, at the very least, four to five hours at a table when we play and usually longer and we bet to win big...not bragging, just saying that we do our part so the free rooms and comps are justified.

I thought I would use a couple of my free nights at this casino to have a mother-daughter weekend. Even though she is only 17, we could still shop at the nearby Lighthouse Mall and in the evenings I might hit a table or two while she jumps on her iPad or watches a movie.

Our valet was accommodating and the bellman was really wonderful...he had lots of tips for dinners and shopping and filled our ice bucket. Of course I tipped both of them...I always do....I don't want some upset valet driving off in my car...lol. BTW, I always tip the maid service as well. I really do appreciate everyone in the service industry...I've been there.

Our check-in service was by a stone-faced robot who could have cared less that a regular customer was standing before her checking in and probably should have acknowledged me along the $20 tip I was holding in full view and perhaps she would have been $20 richer. Regardless, I don't tip to get special treatment, I tip to say thank you to those who are helpful. Anyway, after a couple of moments of her not speaking...not even a smile and "hello, welcome to the Blue Chip" we had our room key. I promptly took my $20 with me and the key and went on my way...forget it....unpleasant service = no tip for you!

The room...OMG....the room was disgusting! I'm sure the front desk stone lady didn't give me a crappy room just because I didn't tip b/c I had my key before she found out she was getting stiffed.

Anywho, the room smelled like nasty BODY ODOR….which I have seen in other reviews….the curtains on the room were stained with who knows what...of course my first thought was projectile vomiting but it was probably some kind of drink that was shaken to celebrate - at least that's what I kept telling myself. The remote to the TV looked as if it had been wiped down with Vaseline..ick!

We had a non-smoking room but as I stepped out of the shower the second morning, a strong stench of smoke came through the vent just above my head….and as I walked out into the bedroom, smoke as well. I opened the closet to get relief from the smell….you can read about that later...the closet.

On the plus side….the glass shower doors are spotless…I really want to know the secret for getting these glass doors to shine like that…and the mirror doesn’t get foggy when someone takes a shower…I need to know that secret too. The beds were comfy and the sheets clean. They could probably use a blanket for northern Indiana in the wintertime. My daughter doesn't notice things about hotel room like I do so she was fine with everything and I didn’t complain to her b/c I wanted her to be happy and have a good time.

I said to her shortly after we settled in…”hey, want to take a walk to the gift shop” which she was glad to do…..I wanted to go mostly b/c I wanted to get some antibacterial wipes for the remote, door handles and phone....didn't want to take any chances that whatever was on the drapes was on other things we had touch. Like other who have commented about the body odor smell…we sprayed some perfume and it helped a little but each time I entered the room I was overwhelmed with the BO smell. The closet didn’t smell like BO..I was glad about that….each time I opened the closet it was such a relief to smell a nice smell….if it were big enough, maybe I could have slept in there.

The bathroom was otherwise clean except for the dusty glass shelves. You could tell that the tissue holder had not been moved on the shelf for a very long time. I did notice a glob of dried soap on the soap shelf in the shower...how does a cleaning person miss that? That seems to be one of the first things I would clean...I'm sure they always have to take the used soap off of the shelf after each guest...wouldn't they notice the stuck-on soap remnants? Just sayin....I avoided it, placed my soap off to the side and kept telling myself to stop being so picky.

As this Spa Blue Tower is fairly new (within the last five years I think) I would expect much more out of the cleaning services - that they would want to maintain their new place so much better. I do get the fact that there are guests who abuse the rooms. Oh by the way, there is a small refrigerator in the room, that was really handy!

I thought perhaps we could take advantage of the spa's facial 20% off special they were running but I should have made an appointment well ahead of our arrival..my bad. They only had a 25 minute facial appointment left for that day so we booked my daughter for that and came back 20 minutes later.

My daughter was taken to the changing area, given her robe, etc., and was told to wait in the waiting room. I went in with her because she is underage and I'm not just turning my daughter loose to anyone....so when the lady came out to get her, she started into the massage room and I asked if I could come in with them initially to help choose which facial she would be getting (there were several different kinds) and the lady abruptly cut me off and said in a curt tone "she is only allowed the basic facial since there are only 25 minutes left before we close." I said that's fine, and the lady says "she is 18 right?" and I tell her no...that halted everything...we were dragged out to the front desk, my daughter still in the robe, to be shown on their pamphlet that one has to be 18 to receive services like perhaps we were too stupid to read that part on the back page – when in fact, I hadn’t looked at the pamphlet at all. We totally relied on the girl at the front desk for service instructions.

The lady said she would ask her boss if we could go ahead but her boss was in a meeting....she really didn't seem like she wanted to do the facial even if my daughter were 18..she seemed ready to go home for the day. My question.....my daughter looks about 12...she looks very young for her age...why didn't the girl at the front desk inquire about her age then? It was clear the appointment wasn't for me....anyway, we left disappointed.

Back to the room. Tried to get on the Internet...wasn't working...called the guest services and they said "yeah....uh..that's strange....it wasn't working on 12 and 8 earlier today….the guy has been working on it all day." I told her it isn't working on floor 10 either. She said she would let the guy know. No Internet the entire two days we were there.

We turned on the TV to rent a movie...only basic cable channels...no movie channels. I called guest services because I was sure I wasn't pressing the right section or something...nope, no movies.

So we just watched basic cable and ended up going to bed early. I didn't gamble at all that evening...didn't feel like it....was completely put off with the Blue Chip and its services...not guest friendly whatsoever. In fact, we contemplated just going home. We had done some shopping before we got to the hotel so the day wasn't completely a bust.

The next morning was a new day and new attitude. The buffet was wonderful. It was free from my points on my card so that was nice and appreciated! I always like to leave a little extra tip if I get a meal for free. The waitress never came back after she got us our initial drinks and the place wasn't even busy. Oh well, seems to be the norm here.

While I don’t think the “free” guests are treated any differently than the “paying” guests but if a service person were to happen to notice the guest were a “free” (or comped) guest, they may be able to count on a larger tip. It just makes sense right? Of course, some guests don’t tip at all either.

I did have to stop at the front desk two other times. Once to ask if we could have a late check-out. Another sour puss lady said yes, 11:30 (regular check-out is 11) nice. BTW, the pit boss was disappointed when I left the table to check out - I told her if they would give me a later check-out time, I would probably play longer. She said I wish you had a later check-out time too....TOTALLY not like Las Vegas...the pit boss in Vegas would have remedied that immediately and we would have been able to stay most of the day....but this isn't Vegas and it's clear the Blue Chip doesn't care. H*ll, in Vegas, the pit boss offers show tickets, meals, while you are in the middle of playing…..Yes, I get that the Blue Chip is not on that scale and hard to compare but they ARE a casino and if they are in the business of giving comps, then they are in the business of pleasing their players.

The last time I stopped at the front desk....AGAIN....I mean really??? A sour puss lady. I asked if the meal that I charged to the room could be comped. I've been around the gambling block a few times so I "get" what comps are for - your play. And table play is based on time at the table...which I spend a lot of. Nope, they couldn't comp the $13.00 meal. Man, this is SO opposite of Vegas...no worries, everything else was comped and I won a bunch of money....but I did tip the other guy at the front desk a $20 who standing next to the sour puss.

It just so happens that the last time we did use one of our free rooms, this guy "Bill" helped us out and gave us a corner room on the top of the tower. It overlooked the lake and was delightful. The room was clean and comfortable - so we have had a good experience there as well. But Bill really went above and beyond that time and neither my husband nor I had enough money in our pockets to tip him properly when we checked in - so after we got settled we went right back down to go to the cashier and tip that nice guy Bill...and he was gone for the night and we didn't see him the rest of the time we were there - I left really feeling bad that I didn't get to tip him...but this time, he was there again...he didn't help me but I tipped him for helping us the last time. Anyway, any of the three sour ladies may have been tipped as well....if they weren't sour.

You see, the meal that I asked to be comped only cost me $13.00. They didn't comp it but I was okay with that - didn't get mean or nasty about it - just said okay and that was that. But I didn't mind handing Bill the $20 for his help the last time we stayed. It's all about the service. I really didn't mind paying the $13.00 for the meal at all, it was worth a try; the worst they could do was say no. There's a game in casino/hotel land and it goes like this...you play and mostly lose, sometimes win, and we comp you things...it's simple. I know the rules. I play and mostly lose but sometimes win...and sometimes win really big....and I get comped things and sometimes use them.

I did gamble the second night and the third morning. All in all I came out ahead..in fact, the trip and shopping was pretty much paid for so why am I complaining you ask? Because what if I were paying for the rooms and all the meals, etc.? What if I had shelled out for two nights and two breakfasts? The service I was given would have made me even more disappointed. Don’t even say “you get what you pay for” because if I had paid for this service, I would have gotten the same service. It doesn’t work that way.

I kept telling myself "you are here for free....stop being so picky" but that's not the point. If you are a service-related industry, perhaps your service people should be trained properly.

Believe me, I have lost enough at that casino over the many years since it opened that I have paid for my fair share of free rooms and meals so don’t all me a whiner or crybaby about paying for a $13 meal…that’s not the point.

Service people are used and abused. I get that. I am a friendly and appreciative guest and I wanted to be treated in the same manner. Nothing special, no frills. I'm not a big wig who wants special treatment. Just good service. In fact, I am pleasantly surprised when a hotel clerk goes the extra mile to give me a special room or a bellman goes the extra mile to take care of our bags.

Yes I will go back. I like this casino and it's fun to use the rooms if we need them. I thought that a short message on here about service was important.

And if you are a customer. Don't forget the tips to the service people. It's not so they treat you better, it's so they know you appreciate them and thank them for doing a wonderful job.

I don't always leave bad reviews but one bad review outweighs ten good reviews.

Room Tip: Check in early enough to get one of the really nice rooms without BO smell. Don't take a room n...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Sarah S, Boyd Gaming Customer Service at Blue Chip Casino and Hotel, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to offer your feedback regarding your recent stay with us at Blue Chip Casino, Hotel and Spa. We were extremely disappointed to read about the lack of service and dissatisfaction with the condition of your accommodations. We would welcome an opportunity to discuss this recent visit and work to make sure that your next trip is more in keeping with the service standards we strive to uphold. Please feel free to contact our Director of Hotel Operations. We look forward to speaking with you and regaining your loyal patronage.

Travelers are raving about these Michigan City hotels

Joliet, Illinois
Reviewed March 28, 2013

We took my in-laws for a two-day getaway and although we live very near a casino, we made the hour drive to Blue Chip and it was so worth the trip!

I convinced my mother-in-law to get her very first massage - she was a bit anxious and not sure what to expect. Tara was her masseuse and did an incredible job because my mother-in-law said she really enjoyed the whole experience and would definitely do it again. I have had many massages over the years, everything from hot stone to deep tissue and I opted for the 75-minute Hawaiian Lomi-Lomi massage with Jill. This was, without question, the best massage I have ever had and would highly recommend this to everyone.

We had a suite in the original side of the hotel and it was updated nicely, especially the bathroom! Great Jacuzzi tub and spa shower and the free products (shampoo, conditioner, lotion) are really good.

We ate at William B's with Wayne as our server. If you're lucky enough to get Wayne, you won't even have to ask for anything, he reads your mind :) We celebrated my in-laws 55th anniversary and without even having to ask, Wayne brought a small delicious cake to our table for our dessert. My husband and father-in-law are both pretty good eaters and usually don't have leftovers...but they did this time - good portion sizes!

Aisles in the casino are wide enough to easily accommodate the wheel chair my mother-in-law needed and still had plenty of room for others to walk around. Housekeeping on the casino floor could be improved as I saw lots of discarded cups and dirty ashtrays sitting for most of the evening, but the drink stations were clean and orderly.

Overall, we are so glad to have experienced Blue Chip and will definitely return!

1 Thank Budget-Family-4
Muskego, Wisconsin
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Overall had a positive experience but there were some things they need to improve on. We had a room in the Blue Chip tower on the 2nd floor. We had the first room off the elevators and it was nice to have a refurbished room as I had heard a lot of negative things about their older rooms. The highlights were the shower, decent bed and mini fridge. Housekeeping was good. We put the do not disturb sign on our door and we weren't bothered either morning. They did a great job and were able to clean the room by 3pm after we left at 1 on Saturday. The room was a standard king. We just didn't think it was worth an average of $150 per night for the weekend. After taxes/fees it ended up being $340 for the weekend and that was supposedly the special wedding reduced rate. That's a lot of money for Michigan City, IN . One negative about where the room was located was that the fire door made a lot of noice when opened. It definitely needed to be oiled. The other negative was the heater/AC unit by the window was not easy to use and took a long time to figure out the right setting otherwise the heat would stay on forever making the room a sauna. They should have spent the money to put in digital controls. Casino was a decent size and had all the table games. Having a live poker room was a definite plus. Hate that they still allow smoking though. Buffet was only dining option we did there and it was just ok. Had a TON of things to eat but the quality was a little lacking.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Chicago IL
Reviewed March 23, 2013

We stayed at the original Blue Chip Tower side on a comp visit. It was really nice, clean and updated. The beds were fine and thought it seemed newly updated from what I heard. Not sure if all the rooms have been updated but ours had been.

Had a small fridge which was convenient for our snacks. It was NOT a mini bar.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 4th floor and faced the "water". Some people do bring families but there...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Cary
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Just got back from the weekend at Blue Chip and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. We stayed in the Spa Tower. The rooms was very rather large, nice TV and a fantastic shower. The beds could have used a few more pillows and the view, although we could see the lake was just plain depressing. Just shut the curtains and everything was fine. We were there for two nights and 3 days and never left the property.

The spa is nice size and the decor is modern and relaxing. There is a large enough space for a group of girls to hang out between services. My massage was average. The casino was not very crowded and had enough table space for our group. The dealers were very friendly.

Food: We at at Williiam B's and everyone in our group raved about the food (just not he birthday cake). Ate at the sports bar 3 times and enjoyed each meal. Buffett is average at best

I would recommend this for any group of gamblers or even girls just looking for a spa!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Stayed here this weekend. The rooms were clean but they didnt smell very fresh. Almost like they need new carpets. That didnt bother me so much it was the housekeeping staff! We stayed Friday and Saturday night. Saturday morning it felt as if they were trying to push us out so they could clean or avoid cleaning just so they didn't have to come back. It was 9:30 they knocked asked if we needex anything and we told them they could come at 11 we would be gone so they could do their thing and 45 minutes later they were back knocking on the door. Again, we told them 11. As we left they practically went in right after us, we didnt even get a few steps from the door and they were charging in. Then Sunday morning at 8:30 we got woken up by them talking loudly and slamming doors. I expect that from a guest but not hotel staff. I understand their storage was by our room but there is no reason to be slamming doors and what not. Don't bother putting the do not disturb sign up because it didnt help one bit.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Lemensel
Sarah S, Boyd Gaming Customer Service at Blue Chip Casino and Hotel, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Thank you for your feedback regarding the poor service offered to you by our Housekeeping team. Your comments have been shared with our Housekeeping Manager for immediate correction and review of our service standards. Furthermore, we appreciate you taking the time to correspond with our Director of Hotel Operations. We sincerely value your patronage and look forward to welcoming you back to Blue Chip in the near future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Michigan City
Baymont Inn & Suites Michigan City
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#8 of 16 in Michigan City

Been to Blue Chip Casino and Hotel? Share your experiences!