“A Little Scary”

Red Roof Inn Michigan City
Ranked #10 of 16 Hotels in Michigan City
Reviewed June 12, 2013

We knew not to expect to much for the price, but were a little scared because of the other customers we encountered while checking onto our room and throughout our stay. Guests throwing pop rocks at the ground as we walked by their open room and were sitting in the parking lot with their cat and their room was overflowing with trash. No extra blankets were available. The carpet was stained, bathroom floor was dirty, and the ice from the ice machine was visibly dirty. The next door apartments had multiple cop cars show up at once. It was walking distance from a Texas Corral restaurant, which was the only perk. Sad to say, not even worth the price.

Room Tip: Definitely ask for second floor if you stay here! But there was a super 8 right next door that looke...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Michelle W, Manager at Red Roof Inn Michigan City, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2013

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to post a review. We are very sorry that your experience was less than you expected.

Feedback from our guests is always welcome as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services and product. Please know that we make guest satisfaction our number one priority and that we appreciate your feedback and look at it as an opportunity to improve.

Thank you for your business and we hope you will give us another try in the future.

Reviewed June 5, 2013

We went to the red roof inn. Our family stayed for 3 days. We had a good time on the trip besides the room mix up in the beginning. After that everything went well and we enjoyed our stay in Red Roof like we always do.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to post a wonderful review. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay and the hospitality of our staff.

I will make sure to share your comments with of our team. Feedback from our guests is always welcome.

It was truly a pleasure having you as our guest and we hope to see you again wherever your future travel plans may take you.

Thank you for your business.

Reviewed June 3, 2013

I would like to commend Tearm member Jessica at property name 007, Michigan City, IN. Jessica's expertise is customer service was outstanding. She assisted me with quality customer service, by finding out what my needs were, and accommodated me throughout the in-processing and existing process with courtesy, diplomacy, and a delightful personality. Jessica made my stay at your facility very enjoyable and delightful. I would recommend that she provide services to others that I would refer to your facility. I thank you for her services.

Barbara J. Buckner

Room Tip: Book early during holiday seasons.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

I will make sure to share your comments with our team and with Jessica. Jessica has been a wonderful employee and I am sure she will appreciate your comments. Feedback from our guests is always welcome.

It was truly a pleasure having you as our guest and we hope to see you again in the future.

Thank you for your business.

Reviewed May 27, 2013

We stayed here overnight on the way to visit family further west. We had seen reviews of this and so were bracing ourselves for what we might find, but the price was excellent and it fit our scheduling needs, so we booked it anyway. The staff was friendly at check in, and the room was clean, although outdated and clearly repaired (ceiling and shower). It was very basic--towels and soap--and there was a smell of smoke when we entered, though that quickly disappeared, or at least didn't bother us anymore. The room was quiet, at the back of the motel and all the rooms have exterior doors. We were in room 136, which is at the back, but next to the water heaters, so you do hear them starting, but you get very hot water, very fast. I would not recommend this for anything more than a cheap place to sleep, but it did meet that need for us.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quiet---#136 at the far corner first floor is as far away from the road as you...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to post a review.

We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay and the service that our staff was able to provide for you. I will make sure to share your comments with our team. Feedback from our guests is always welcome.

Thank you for your business and we hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed May 19, 2013

A friend and I recently stayed at the Red Roof in Michigan City IN, and were extremely disappointed by the stay.
To say our rooms were dirty would be an understatement. There were 2 chairs by a table in the room and they were both (in both our rooms) stained and the edges caked in dust. The beds were old and you could feel the springs through them while you slept. For the first time ever sleeping in a bed with pillow, I woke up every night with a sore back and neck. The carpets were disgusting and hadn't even been vacuumed, never mind shampooed. You could actually see dirt and debris on them. As soon as we checked in, my socks had black on the bottoms from walking across the room and back once. I plugged my phone in to charge the first night and woke up to it dead. Part of the outlet behind my bed wasn't working. On the other side of the room, another outlet was coming out away from the wall. The tub had what looked like dirt/stains all over the bottom, as well as what looked like dark mold above the shower area on the wall. I doubt anything in these rooms has been replaced or refinished since it opened.
They actually have a card out on the bed saying they're "green" so they will only take out the trash, make your bed, and restock the towels to "save water and energy". Who's energy? Their poor tired workers? Workers that I heard complaining outside about how one of them was only there another week and "wasn't going to do that". Not sure what she was referring to, probably cleaning our rooms, because on the 2nd day they just decided not to make my bed and forgot a towel. Doing so little already, how hard it is to remember 3 things?

My friend had similar problems in her room. We were woken up by very loud water coming from the upstairs rooms. It sounded like it was just falling down large pipes and splashing against the ground. I've never heard such loud water in a hotel and it's impossible to get a good night's sleep.
Finally, someone had set the alarm by the bed for 2AM in my room and it woke me up shortly after checking in. That's something I would expect housekeeping to check on once guests check out, to make sure the next guest isn't disturbed.
I expect a cheap stay like this to lack things like a fridge, coffee, on site facilities, even a tv. I do however expect every room to be spotless and the staff to care about what they're doing. I will never return to a Red Roof since they obviously have no standards of quality. The photos attached are of the disgusting chairs in my room, and a lousy shot of the bottom of the tub.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends

Feedback from our guests is always welcome, and it sounds like we dropped the ball on this one. Please accept my sincere apology. Please know that we make guest satisfaction our number one priority and that we appreciate your feedback and look at it as an opportunity to improve.

Thank you for your business and we hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed April 12, 2013

We decided to go here because we found a discount coupon in a travelers booklet we got at a rest stop - so try to get one, you save like $15. The people at the front desk were friendly.
The room smelt completely horrible. It was disgusting. It was like a mixture of smoke and who-knows-what. We didn't have access to laundry facilities so our clothes and suitcases smelt for the next four days ! D:
The shower head was low, but that's pretty typical for hotels that are cheap in price (I'm 5'6"). The water pressure was okay and the hot water lasted 30 minutes.

I don't think all the rooms are as bad as the one we stayed in, considering the management apologized.

Room Tip: We stayed on the first floor. Check out the room and if there's a problem ask to switch rooms...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
BARonzone, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Michigan City, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2013

I am very sorry that your room was not to your satisfaction please accept my sincerest apologies. It is my hope that will come back and see us again in the future, and we will do a much better job in you room.

Reviewed January 28, 2013

I arrive in Michigan City at 3 o'clock on a Saturday afternoon. I in formed the front desk clerk I was alone and I be staying for approximately a week looking a houses. My room was 49.99 + tax and fees per night I asked the girl behind the desk if I could get a better rate and I was informed that I could not. I informed her that I'd go online and see if I can get a better and she encouraged me to do so. Now making a long story short. Toward the end of the week it was pointed out to me that they're offering a $199.99 weekly special. When I inquired about this I was told I could not have it was on select rooms only. The sign hanging outside the hotel did not say that it said $199.99 weekly special rate. After complaining to the management they offered me 1 free night stay. Which I really thought was pretty poor of them. I felt very deceived over the whole thing considering I spent 7 days there. I personally will never ever go back there again. There was no fridge,no coffee maker, the mattresses were old dated and sagging in the middle. The bottom of the bathtub was black. All I can say is I felt cheated and very deceived to me when you post a sign that says a weekly rate and then you don't honor it is pretty crappy. I wish I could attach the photo of the sign to this review for all to see.

• Stayed: January 2013
BARonzone, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Michigan City, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2013

I am sorry were not able meet you needs and made you feel deceived. We would like to have you as our guest again so we can exceed your expectations next time.