“Microtel Review”

Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Michigan City
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Michigan City
Reviewed August 14, 2014

Review collected in partnership with Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham
Derrick S, Manager at Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Michigan City, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2014

Reviewed August 12, 2014

Review collected in partnership with Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham
Derrick S, Manager at Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Michigan City, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2014

Reviewed August 12, 2014

Reviewed August 9, 2014

After reading great reviews on tripadvisor and finding a great rate online we booked a room for 2 nights (Wed-Fri) with 2 queen beds. I am happy to give my opinion on this hotel with some extra comments for other disabled guests using a wheelchair. After I booked the room, I emailed the manager my booking number to notify them of my disability needs and request one of their accessible rooms with the wheel in shower. He replied very quickly (within the hour I believe!!) that he had notified the front desk of my request and they would do their best to accommodate me. They did!

We found the hotel very easily off the I-94. It's a 3 story, brick and looks rather new-ish and very well maintained as I noticed the nicely manicured lawn and flowerbeds surrounding the outside. A Wal-mart right across the street and a Meijer up the street. Plenty of restaurants and fast food within walking distance, a gas station with convenience bar on the corner. Also a great outdoor outlet mall and a casino just a short drive away into the town. Less than an hour to downtown Chicago too. The hotel had wide disabled parking spaces right at the front door which was great for my van with a side entry lift. The entrance is quite wheelchair accessible, a totally flat entrance with automatic sliding doors!! Check-in went well. The front desk people are amazing - very friendly and efficient. I felt very welcome. They advised me of the pool hours and the breakfast hours.. and then said ..but.. if u need anything just ask. :)

They booked me into Rm 105 (i think..) it was on the main floor very close to the lobby and entrance. It was the room with the roll in shower. However, when I went to see the room it only had one queen bed. We needed two. The room looked very accessible though - the bathroom was very large, doorways wide, everything within reach and plenty of moving around room. But.. we were not able to take this room. There is however, an adjoining room that we could have rented and put the girls in, but we were on a pretty tight budget and didn't really want to spend the extra money on a 2nd room.

The girl at the front desk then took me up the elevator to the second floor (Rm 206) to see if I could manage in another accessible room which had 2 queen beds, but no wheel in shower - just a tub with grab bars. After seeing the room and accessible bathroom I decided it would work just fine with a shower bench that was provided by the hotel. Instantly I noticed the room looked very clean and bright with a nice decor. There was however an odor when you first come in that I cannot put my finger on.. it wasn't necessarily a bad odor.. and I didn't really smell it once in the room.. the closest I can describe it is it smelled a bit like a throat lozenge. There was a nice flat screen tv with remote, a mini fridge, microwave, ironing board, and coffee maker etc. It had 2 comfortable queen beds with good pillows and the linen was fresh, clean and newer looking in white. Aside from what others have said about the rooms being small. I felt there was plenty of room (and I take up a lot of space.. haha) There were 4 of us (2 adults, 2 teens) in this room, we had a lot of stuff and then there was me with a wheelchair, I had no problems with the space at all. There was also a nice bench seat in the window. I used it to put my luggage on and it was the perfect height for me to pack/unpack. There is quite a lot of mirror along the walls above the head of the beds that we weren't too keen on.

The bathroom was huge and it functioned very well for my mobility disability. It was bright and had a nice wide door to enter and newer tile flooring and it was very clean with low towel racks, mirror, door hooks and a hair dryer attached to the wall. Lots of solid grab bars on the tub on all 3 sides and an adjustable slide hand held shower nozzle. I borrowed a shower chair from the front desk and was able to manage fine. I requested a few extra towels to use as bath mats in front of the tub to avoid slipping though. They gave me some extra thick ones that worked good on the floor. Higher toilet with solid grab bars to the side and behind walls. Lots of space for wheelchair manoeuvring, Wall-mounted sink which you can get close up to and under easily. Mirror was at a good height, I think it may have even been a tilt mirror. There was a little shelf below the mirror to put your toothbrush, comb or whatever on. We did notice however that the only outlet in the bathroom is on the opposite side of the room from where the sink/mirror are. The hotel did not have any extension cords (but there is a 24hr Wal-Mart across the street if you don't pack one) We also discovered the last day that outlet did not work anyway. However, you can easily do your hair from one of the outlets in the room as there is lots of mirror everywhere.. haha. I was very impressed to see fire alarms for deaf persons with the flashing lights in both the bed area and the bathroom.

The free Wifi connected easily and worked well. The A/C was on full, but we still found that it was a little warm in our room while sleeping at night.

The complimentary breakfast was decent consisting of (from what I can remember) cereals, milk, juices, coffee, muffins, bagels, fruit (I saw some very nice looking apples) and two waffle machines that are very popular (and they work well!) It's best to go early because its located in a small area and it can get busy at the waffle machines but everything is replenished quickly. On the 2nd day, I noticed the orange juice that came out of the machine was kind of warm.. not sure why, I don't think it was like that the first day. But the complimentary breakfast was definitely another nice perk to this hotel. Considering the great rate we got on the room, I felt the breakfast spread was more than adequate.

The pool and hot tub area is smaller than I expected but it didn't seem all that crowded anyway. We didn't use either but spoke to 3 or 4 other guests who complained that the temperature of the hot tub was not very warm that night. I also saw a small exercise room with machines next door but did not go in.

All in all. my stay was very pleasant and comfortable and I would definitely return and/or recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Michigan City. I am giving them 5stars because they deserve it. It is obvious the hotel is well managed and the staff work very hard to keep up their high standards. From the initial welcome feeling you get from the friendly, efficient staff to the nicely kept interior and exterior, everyone seems happy and things run smoothly. I felt it was an exceptionally great value for the price we paid. As a disabled guest who uses a wheelchair, I found everything met or exceeded my expectations and needs and I was quite comfortable and able to manage easily and independently at this hotel.

Room Tip: Wheelchair users: If you are travelling with 2 or more people and require the wheel in shower room...

Dawne H,
We appreciate your very detailed review. I am glad we were able to make you feel at home in room 206 and thanks for taking notice of all of our hard work for our future guests. All of the best to you until next time!

Reviewed August 9, 2014

Reviewed August 7, 2014

This hotel was very nice. The gentleman working the front desk was very polite and pleasantupon our arrival. It had everything we needed for a nice overnight stay (pool, hottub, and continental breakfast). The rooms were modern, clean, and comfortable. Our room even had a microwave and mini fridge. Perfect place for enjoying Michigan City for the weekend. We would stay here again.

Dear Valued Guest,
Yes, our staff here all take great pride in what they do and it shows by how we treat our guests. Being the newest hotel in town doesn't hurt any either and we strive to keep the place in like new condition. Thanks for taking the time to share your experience.

Reviewed August 6, 2014

I traveled with my two boys (12,16) and was impressed with how clean our suite was. We had been to the beach and needed a quiet refresher. The desk clerk recommended a place to eat and gave us a map to our next destination.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family

Dear Jennifer D,
Glad to hear your summer fun at the beach ended with one of our great rooms! Thank you for staying.