“Nice campground; expand those bathrooms”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Michigan City
Michigan City Campground
Reviewed July 9, 2012

We spent 5 nights in a very clean basic cabin and really liked the place.

Location: MCCG is the only area campground we saw which is not located directly on the highway. It is within easy driving distance to grocery stores and restaurants (and Michigan City, and Indiana Dunes, and...) while still being out of the fray.

We loved our cabin. We brought our own towels and sheets as well as cooking equipment and chairs, and we felt that we vacationed in a completely civilized manner. The fridge, AC, and electricity in the cabin meant that we were not roughing it too much.

We spent time at the Dunes on Lake Michigan and shopping at the outlets, and we even took the train into Chicago one day. There are enough little burger or ice cream places in Michigan City to keep you fed and entertained. Starbucks, Olive Garden, Meijer, Lowes, Walmart, Aldi, Dairy Queen - it is all there. In many ways Michigan City is just a small town, so we ran into some sort of band competition and a kite festival when we were there. It was convenient and cute; we would definitely go back.

We have camped all over the US and Europe for many years and felt that this campground was fine all the way around. The cabins and smaller RV sites are scattered around the office and pool area in the back. We recommend these sites away from the road. Many pull-through sites (not all) are located closer to the road, but people do not seem to mind. The staff was very helpful, and I saw them open up after hours many times for late arrivals. The campground is generally peaceful and quiet; we had no problems with the rules or with our neighbors.

One reviewer stated that the owners are expanding the sanitary facilities; we hope this is the case. We realize that the trend is toward self-contained RV's, but a small room with 3 showers, 3 sinks, and 3 tiny toilet stalls is quickly overwhelmed by the weekend crowds. We waited in line for a shower and ran out of toilet paper a couple of times. Facilities are clean but perhaps a bit aging and crowded.

We liked MCCG and would probably not stay anywhere else next time.

Room Tip: Stay in the back away from the road
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Michigan City Campground

Reviewed June 6, 2012

My wife and I have been visiting Michigan City Campground for 8 years now regularly. We come back because we always enjoy ourselves. This is our 4th RV together, so we are rather avid campers, and we are very selective about where we stay.

Each year we return, we are surprised by the additions / improvements made. Since our first time staying there in 2004 they have added a new larger fishing pond, dozens of pull through sites, new attractive fencing and a small shaded area off the pool – which is now equipped with speakers and music plays when the pool is open. They added a shaded picnic area with an available grill just outside the pool, new attractive vinyl siding around their buildings, new cabins for large families - some nicely equipped. There is new sod around many of the campsites, new trees, foliage and landscaping throughout the campground and they installed a new septic system. Most recently they installed new blacktop from the US 421 entrance to their main building parking area, which helps keep the dust down considerably.

I have the read the negative reviews on the staff. To the contrary, I find that the family and staff are very pleasant and accommodating. However, I do imagine that it can get stressful for them on busy weekends -- especially when those “weekend warriors” are not being respectful of the rules and their neighboring campers. In fact, whenever we needed items from the store after hours, we just rang the bell. One of the owners would come downstairs to accommodate us, and they didn’t seem bothered at all.

Also to the contrary of some reviews, I’ve never seen any signs restricting water bottles inside the pool, and frankly we bring several to the poolside. I only recall seeing a reference to a restriction of glass bottles. This year, we rather enjoyed going to the store to buy one of their new frozen slushies. It was a nice treat by the poolside during the 90 degree weather.

Their public restrooms are painted annually, kept clean and stocked, and the staff even power-spray them down on a daily basis. The water pressure in the showers is fantastic, and often times my wife (who is the more finicky of the two of us) will prefer to take a long, hot shower in their facilities rather than in our own camper.

It’s nice to see the seasonals every year. Those I have met are often friendly and remember our names when we stay there. Their sites are kept very nice.

Another perk about staying here is the excellent location to some great area attractions. We always love heading the Blue Chip Casino or the beach at Washington Park, and my wife can’t stay away from the local Farmer’s Market (which is conveniently located just blocks from the Outlet Mall!)

Last year, on one weekend, they featured live music by a 3-piece acoustic band under their new shaded picnic area. They were very good, and played many of our requests. We were quite entertained. We hope they’ll be back again on one of our weekends there.

Another weekend, we had a blast when they celebrated Halloween a few weeks early. The Pumpkin Chunkin' contest was hilarious!

We will continue to come back to Michigan City Campground each year.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jeffster1970
Reviewed June 6, 2012

Disclaimer: I am not an owner or related to the owners. I am a long time "seasonal" camper.
Michigan City campground is the best it has ever been.
I have been a "seasonal" camper for many years. We have seen it through three or four owners. The current owners have put a ton of work and money into the campground to make it nice.
There is a limited amount of tent sites for a reason. Former owners would pack in as many as they could and didn't care what happened.
Tim & Mary are very gracious hosts. They take pride in making everything nice and keeping it that way. They are constantly making things better. They expect people to respect their property, as they should, it's their home.
They have multiple cabins for rent now. The bath houses have been redone. There are plans to add more I think. There is a great pool, meeting room for rent, 2 fishing ponds, & a new fenced in dog park. They host some band nights in the summer for free! They put on a great halloween weekend for the kids with a haunted trail and pumpking painting or carving and last year.... punkin chunkin!
As for the tow trucks.... sorry! That would be us. Towing is a 24 hour 7 day a week business. You will appreciate that fact when it is you broke down or in an accident in the middle of the night. Since ours is a small family business we started camping when our kids were small so we had "vacations" on the weekends when the guys could still be on call for breakdowns and accidents. Worked out great for us. So if we disturbed your peace and quite for a moment to help someone out, I apologize.
I didn't complain when tenters showed up in the middle of the night & set up tents using their headlights on the car shining into my camper & the radio playing. We just laughed and said someone is having fun!
So if you want a good camping experience by all means.... give Michigan City campground a try! check out their website michigancitycampground.com

Room Tip: Multiple cabins to choose from. All are very clean. All close to the pool and playground. Some hav...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank b2leaf
Reviewed September 7, 2011

Expensive place to pitch a tent. Crappy campground but works when the better, cheaper ones are full. Pool is nice but closes crazy early, opens too late for a morning swim. We saw 3different, noisey tow trucks drive past our site late at night. The sign by the toilet saying 'you plug, you plunge' really put me off. I'm pretty sure $35 a night should not include plunging their toilets!

• Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed August 15, 2011

Rates are a bit outrageous, and the store and recreation room close at 8 pm!? So much for customer service.

The woman proprietor seems to be bothered by those of us shelling out waaaayy too much for a campsite.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 28, 2011

My third time to stay at this campground and I really enjoy it. Have been here with my grandchildren who enjoyed the pool and playground. Also travel with dogs and it is very pet friendly. I find the owners to be very helpful and pleasant and the other campers were friendly. Enjoyed walking around the campgrounds with my dogs and when the grandchildren were with me they were able to go around by themselves and feel safe. I will certainly stay at this campground every chance I can!

Room Tip: Great place and close to many things to see and do
Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank dodiegeorge
Reviewed June 21, 2010

this was the worst campground i have ever stayed at it is family run and the husband is ok but his wife was awful they like to make up the rules as the day goes by so if you call them they will tell you what you want to hear but when you get there your not going to be excited you are going to want to turn around and go home STAY AWAY THE SHOWERS ARE VERY UNSAFE and you cant even take a water bottle into the pool area also there is only one bathroom/shower house in the whole camp

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family