“Right on the water”

Dining options: Reservations
Auburn
“Right on the water”
Reviewed March 18, 2013

...but a parked train blocked our view. It is a quaint restaurant with good food. Service was fine. Would love to visit in warmer weather and enjoy dinner on a picnic table.

Visited November 2012
1 Thank Laura L

akron
“Fantastic!!!!!!”
Reviewed March 11, 2013

4 of us went to Michigan City to go to Blue Chip Casino. I was in charge of finding a restaurant. I always do my research on Trip Advisor. The reviews of Swing belly's were good. The decor , menu and proximity to the casino sounded good. We were trying to be responsible adults so we went by taxi, not knowing there are only 2 in Michigan City and they service several cities. We had a wonderful dinner. My friends had burgers and homemade potato chips, we had the clam strips and shrimp. All were delicious and our waitress was incredible.They only have wine and beer, but a very good selection. When we called for a cab, there was an hour wait. Wish we had called at beginning of dinner. We asked waitress if she knew of a shuttle or bus we could get. We would have walked if the weather had been decent. She came back and said there was no other form of public transportation, but the owner was going to borrow a car from an employee and take us.(he only had a pickup truck) He was so nice and would not take a penny. I was telling an employee at Blue Chip about our adventure and she said she eats at Swingbelly's often and the owners name is Mark, and a very nice man, as well as an excellent restaurant, with great service, and great food. We loved it and would not hesitate to go back, next time we will use our car. The wait for a taxi to get back to our hotel was just as bad. Although our luck gambling and taxi service were not so good, our experience at Swingbelly's highlighted our getaway weekend. Thankyou Mark and our terrific waitress.

• Visited March 2013
Ludington, Michigan
“All Aboard!!”
Reviewed January 5, 2013

Cute restaurant in an old train depot with a view of Lake Michigan. We stopped there for lunch before heading to Blue Chip Casino. I ordered the 1/3 pound burger and onion rings. Others in my party ordered the soup and others got sandwiches. All were very good and the prices were reasonable. Our waitress was friendly and attentive. We'd go back again when in Michigan City.

• Visited December 2012
LaPorte, Indiana
“QUALITY HAS DETERIORATED”
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Food used to be very good. Lately, it is not even mediocre. Very disappointed. used to be one of our favorites. Sorry, will not be going back.

Visited September 2012
2 Thank Julianna1942
Chicago, Illinois
“Disgusting Employees Behaviors!!!!”
Reviewed December 29, 2012

I was extremely disappointed and disgusted how the employees behaved. When my husband and I walked in to the restaurant, I noticed a little girl sitting by the door with luggages. 15-20 mts. went by and she was still there by herself and I started to wonder. Few mts. later, an elderly woman, african american, about 85-90, looks real fragile walked in the door and it's the girl's grandmother. I was watching her talk to the employees trying to find out when the train to Detroit was coming but I could tell by the employees facial expressions and body language, they did not want anything to do with her. Come to find out that they were 3 hrs early. I continued to watch the interactions and finally one of the employees (Kathy, our waitress) told the lady in a very firm voice that they will need the table. They both picked up their belongings without hesitation and placed it in the vestibule. As they were walking outside, I was watching all 5 employees gossiping and looking out the window watching them walk away. The restaurant was not busy at all and they could have offered them to sit in the covered porch while waiting for the train. When we were leaving the restaurant, I ran into the lady and her grand daughter walking back to the restaurant so I talked to them. She told me that her niece had to be at work that's why they're at the train station so early and they didn't have anywhere else to go. I asked her if they've eaten and she said that the restaurant would not take her check. I offered her some money to go inside the restaurant to have lunch so they could be somewhere warm as they still have 2 hours wait. I've never felt so heartbroken!!! I'm so disgusted how the employees bahaved during this time of year or any other times towards this little girl and elderly woman who is fragile and harmless. All 5 employees did not show any compassion and kindness especially during the holiday season. I hope they realize that they will be old too and hope that nobody treats them the way they treated this elderly woman and her grand daughter.

My husband and I have been going to this retaurant for almost ten years now and that will be the last. I will tell all my friends and people I know this story and tell them not to go there.

• Visited December 2012