“Best Restaurant in Northwest Indiana” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Gamba Ristorante

Gamba Ristorante
Reserve with OpenTable
Gamba Ristorante is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8 of 154 Restaurants in Merrillville
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Connecticut St.
valparaiso In,
“Best Restaurant in Northwest Indiana”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2010

If you want a delicious dinner, in a beautiful restaurant with excellent service, this is the place. Family owned and operated with a bit of Italy in the ambience. My favorite restaurant.

crown point, in
“don't know why i would go anywhere else!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2010

My beautiful wife of 6 years and myself have been to this restaurant on a regular basis since finding it around Thanksgiving. The weekends are very crowded and even with reservations we have had to wait for a table to become available; however, this should be expected when arriving at a popular place during prime hours on the weekend. The weekdays are amazingly accommodating and very relaxed. The atmosphere is clean and upscale but without the stuffiness that is associated with a fine dining restaurant. The waitstaff always greets us with a smile and makes us feel at home. The food is unbeatable and priced reasonably for the size of the portions. The seared ahi tuna appetizer always excites me, the daily soup has yet to let me down, the lamb tenderloin is top notch, and the pasta selection keeps me wanting to go back. For dessert I normally choose a 20 year tawny port with their zuppa inglese. My wife and I can not wait to dine in the outdoor courtyard when summer rolls around. I recommend stopping in on a weeknight to truly experience what they have to offer.

Northwest Indiana
“GREAT food, inconsistent service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2009

I have been to Gamba quite a few times and the food has always been perfect. They have dishes you cannot find anywhere else in the area like rabbit, foie gras, and veal tenderloin (the best veal EVER). For the quality of the food it is very much worth the money. The wine list is pretty limited and somewhat overpriced comparatively.
While I could praise Gamba all day for the amazing food I have to admit the service is strangely inconsistent. The owner and his daughter are sometimes cordial and welcoming and other times snide and downright insulting. Most of the servers have an arrogant demeanor as well, which is funny because even though it is a high end restaurant, it's in Merrillville. Not Chicago or New York, so the attitude is just ridiculous. Once our bill was over $300 for two people and at the end of the meal the server literally came over and tossed the check on the table without saying a word, nor did he thank us after we paid, he just disappeared.
I also agree with a previous post about watching prices. They fail to mention if there is a charge for something then it appears on the bill. On Valentine's Day (after they lost our reservation and kept us waiting over an hour) they charged us $10 EACH for a tiny piece of cheesecake when their excellent desserts are usually $5-6 (the lemon cannoli cake and the zuppa inglase cake are great). I should also mention that they are very accommodating with special requests, but they can come at an unexpectedly high price too. I hope this review doesn’t put anyone off because the food really is superb and (to me) worth dealing with any other shortcomings.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank JayKay7
Chicagosuburbanite
“Gambas needs to be upfront with prices!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2009

My husband and I headed to an early dinner at Gamba's on this snowy evening. We've been a number of times and, for the most part, have had well prepared food and good service. This evening was one of very good food. My appetizer of ahi tuna on a bed of seaweed salad (I asked for a little extra and was graciously accommodated) was very good and my pork tenderloin entree was exquisite--perfectly roasted in a honey sesame sauce. My husband's appetizer of a foul (can't recall exactly) sausage was equally good. His trout was, I thought, a little dry but he liked it. It was oddly served with a melange of (good) sauteed vegetables and red cabbage (which doesn't really treat fish well). The disturbing part of the the dining experience came with the dessert menu. There were no prices. This included the after dinner drinks. When I asked our waitress (the owner's daughter) why there were no prices she said it was because the dessert/drink menu changed often. Huh? Later she said it was because the owner wanted it that way. Hmmm, seems a bit misleading to the customer! If you retype the menu for the changes, just add the prices. How hard can that be? When I mentioned this, she very rudely said she would "do that tomorrow". I then asked the price of the Grand Marnier listed and she huffed off and sent another waiter to tell me it was, as I recall, $45!!!!!! Imagine if I had ordered this without knowing the price!! So, what started as a deliciously pleasant dining experience at Gamba's, turned into a very uncomfortable ordeal with a woman who obviously did not care if she offended a customer. Sadly, this has affected my feeling about Gamba's, both in returning and recommending it.

6 Thank bonniewriter
Chicago, IL
“Bland and Overpriced”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2009

I took my Mom to Gamba for her birthday. I asked her what she thought of Gamba and she said "I've had much better food at Olive Garden." For starters, we had the "chicken soup" which tasted like nothing more than College Inn broth with some not-so-nicely shredded chicken tossed in. We also had the Pasta al Forno which looked and tasted as if it had been pre-baked and then rewarmed before it was served. And $13 is just too much for a lunch-time pasta dish. Sorry, Mom, next time we'll go to Olive Garden!

3 Thank Take_Me_Home_Now