“Best Restaraunt in south Chicago land!!!!!”
Review of Gamba Ristorante

Gamba Ristorante
Reserve with OpenTable
Gamba Ristorante is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 155 Restaurants in Merrillville
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Connecticut St.
Reviewed June 22, 2013

Incredible food, in a very nice building, and service to match!! This place is high class at a reasonable price!

Reviewed June 2, 2013

We went to Gamba's our first time on May 18th for my husband's birthday. We did not mention that it was a birthday dinner.

My husband had the oysters and I had the scallops as appetizers. My scallops were amazing - probably the best part of the whole meal. My husband enjoyed the oysters - said they weren't very big, but they were good. We each had a Caesar salad. I found the Caesar dressing to be a little too sweet for my taste - probably the sweetest Caesar I have ever had.

For dinner we each had a petite fillet which were also very good. I wouldn't say they were outstanding, but they were very good.

Service was excellent. I did tell the waiter I had an allergy to nuts and soy, so they could prepare my meal accordingly. For dessert we had a chocolate mousse-type cake which ended up having almonds in it. When I asked our server if there were nuts in it, he looked a bit surprised; and said he would check with the kitchen. He came back and apologized, and said they told him that sometimes they do put nuts in it. Not really too cool if you have an allergy. When you read the menu and it doesn't mention nuts and you also ask the server and he has informed the kitchen, then you don't expect to be eating nuts. Fortunately, I stopped eating the dessert and I was OK.

We enjoyed our meals very much, but thought the prices were a little high. If I am spending that much money, I want the meal to be outstanding. Our total bill including 20% tip was $127. That included two birthday beers for my husband and ice water with lemon for me. This price did not include the dessert which was taken off the check; and the waiter, of course, offered us another selection, but I decided not to eat any more sweets and my husband finished off the chocolate dessert.

We would probably go back another time and eat a little more conservatively.

One thing that I really did like, is that they offer half orders on everything. Usually my husband and I have to split and meal, and this enabled us to get exactly what we wanted. I guess this is new to the menu - we thought it was a great idea.

1  Thank TravelOften2222
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Wife and I frequent this restaurant a couple of times each year. It is a fine dining evening providing great food and a romantic atmosphere. We enjoy the quality of appetizers, food and also drink varieties. Only downside for us is that it is by far the most expensive restaurant we frequent in nw Indiana. Wish some specials were available and we would frequent much more often. It has a Chicago atmosphere and food quality but is is not in Chicago.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

The food is excellent and the wine selection is just as good. I would certainly recommend that you go.

Reviewed March 22, 2013 via mobile

Everything about this place is great! Wonderful food and beautiful atmosphere, similar to something you would see in downtown Chicago! More expensive than what is listed though...

2  Thank Die-A-Beetus