“Enjoyable and Relaxing”

Clarion Inn in Merrillville
Ranked #7 of 21 Hotels in Merrillville
Reviewed June 23, 2013

I was a little nervous about staying here as I drove up to the property because I have never seen a Courtyard like this one before. But, I was pleasantly surprised upon check-in where a young man and woman greeted me with sincere excitement and made me feel very welcomed. I think if the property could match the staffs level of service this would be THE go-to location in Merrillville. The room was pleasant and I had a nice view of the courtyard which was relaxing. There was a little noise from some kids but the staff took care of it immediately. I would definitely recommend giving this hotel a try and will be back myself one day.

Room Tip: No elevator, ask for a room on the 1st floor if you see this as an issue.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Scott C, General Manager at Clarion Inn in Merrillville, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2014

Thank you for the great review! Please come back and see us again!

There are newer reviews for Clarion Inn in Merrillville

Reviewed June 17, 2013

This Courtyard Marriott was awesome! They had a pool indoors and then you could swim outdoors. The water wasn't super warm, but it was nice. The hot tub was really nice and hot. Overall, it was a nice place to sit and relax. Breakfast was so good for a hotel. :) Recommend breakfast. It is cheap for what you get. The three ladies at the front desk were there the entire time we were there and helped us with everything that we needed. We stayed here for our anniversary and they went out of their way to get us a view of the amazing pond with waterfall in the back. Everyone there was so helpful and friendly. I would definitely go back to this Courtyard Marriott if I needed somewhere to stay while I was in Merrillville. :)

Room Tip: A+ Place to stay for the money. Very clean and friendly staff!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Scott C, General Manager at Clarion Inn in Merrillville, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2013

Thank you so much for the great review! What you experienced is our goal for every guest. Please come back and see us again.

Reviewed June 5, 2013

This hotel is below par with the infrastructure. Looks like an old lodge and while it appears some improvements have been made, further improvements need to be made. I had a room on the first floor and the bathroom is pretty old. Lobby needs a face lift.

The check-in staff was welcoming and cordial and another benefit is that the rooms are a large size. However, there is no central ac and the individual room AC is right next to the bed.

Room Tip: I don't think this place has an elevator so first floor is preferable.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your feedback! We will be upgrading our lobby after the summer with new furniture, carpeting and many additional enhancements in our guest rooms. With these additions and our continued focus on great customer service, we hope your next visit will put us over a 3 star rating.

Reviewed May 22, 2013

I stayed here with my teen daughter for a travel basketball tournament. We checked in mid-afternoon, and the manager invited my daughter and her friends to feed the koi fish in the garden pond behind the hotel. He even unlocked the kitchen and got the girls a few slices of bread to use. The hotel rooms and public spaces were clean and well-maintained; the only issue is that everything's pretty dated and in need of an update. This property did not have the modern bar/gathering space I've seen in new Courtyard renovations. Breakfast was generous, fresh and tasty. A very nice stay overall and close to many restaurants and shopping areas.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

We are so pleased you had a nice experience. I remember the girls and getting the bread out for them! To avoid the Koi fish getting so big with those carbs, we have fish food at our desk for the kids to feed! The waterfall, pond and Koi are a nice enhancement for our hotel and the kids love it! After the summer, we will be getting new lobby furniture, carpeting and serval additional upgrades the will enhance the hotel.

Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

From Texas flew to chicago and going to Wabash college for a graduation this was a stop over for us. Good price, clean , safe, easy access with plenty of places to eat.. Cute hotel with small but functional gym. Nice indoor pool with whirlpool.. Probably best value in this area.

• Stayed: May 2013

Our goal is to provide every guest with a wonderful experience overall. Safe, clean, and friendly attentive service every time! Thank you for staying with us while passing through. We hope to see you again!

Reviewed April 29, 2013

After reading all of the reviews about this property I was a little nervous. We were in town for a wedding and this was where the block of rooms was, so we decided to stay. We always stay at Marriotts and were not disappointed that we stayed here. The hotel was dated, but extremely clean. We kind of liked the feel of the hotel. We used the deck out back on Saturday...it was so nice. We had an executive king and it looked fairly new. The room was very clean the and bed was super comfortable. Would this be a destination hotel, no, but it was great for the weekend. I've also seen a number of people complain about no elevator...good grief, it was ONE flight of stairs. We made a couple of trips and enjoyed the extra calorie burn :)

Room Tip: There is no elevator...if you have a problem with that, you should request a first floor room.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

We appreciate your feedback on our hotel. We do have a challenge without that elevator. As you mentioned, it is a very short flight of stairs and we do have a chair lift for anyone needing assistance. We also are more than happy to assist with bags at check in and check out. I am glad you had the opportunity to enjoy the back patio. The waterfall, gazeebo and ponds are beautiful in the warmer months. Please come visit us again!

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Stayed at this Courtyard on the way to Nashville TN. The rooms were great, and the staff was friendly and accomodating. It was probably the quietest hotel room I ever had. I woud certainly recommend that travelers in need of a good night's sleep as they travel I-65 check in.

Room Tip: Just as the staff for a quiet room.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Scott C, Manager at Clarion Inn in Merrillville, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2013

Thank you so much for staying with us. We truly appreciate your feedback and are so pleased you had such a wonderful experience. We hope to welcome you back in the near future!