“Not fancy but comfortable”

Clarion Inn in Merrillville
Ranked #5 of 21 Hotels in Merrillville
Chicago, Illinois
“Not fancy but comfortable”
Reviewed July 27, 2012

Just spent 3 nights here for a softball tournament. We enjoyed the comfortable rooms and the buffet breakfast as well as the small indoor/outdoor pool. As others have said it is not fancy (bear in mind this is Indiana), could use some updating but it was clean and comfortable. In response to a review that said the pool was dirty, it is half indoor half outdoor, so yes there could be a few leaves and twigs, but big deal the water was great and clean on these 90 degree days. One of the nicest things about the hotel is that it is tucked away off Rt 30 at the end of a cul-de-sac surrounded by trees, whereas all the surrounding hotels are out in the open. Rates are reasonable.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed July 23, 2012

We stayed here for a wedding last weekend. It is a nice, average hotel. The outside landscaping is nice and the indoor decor is nice; it could use a bit updating, but it's not falling apart or anything. Our room was nice and the bed was exceptionally comfortable. Our queen room had a sofa sleeper and desk, as well. Lots of parking in their well-lit lot, too.

I did not see an elevator; we'd requested a ground level room, which was granted, so it's possible there is one (?).

We did not use the pool/hot tub, however, they looked very nice and clean. The lobby is open and inviting; many people were 'hanging out' in the lobby in the am.

Staff was kind and efficient at check in and check out. No other needs or interactions with them during our stay.

This hotel is located off Rhode Island Avenue, which is a lighted street (translation: getting back on I-65 from this hotel is easy). This hotel is located by the Radisson/Star Plaza Theater; I don't know that I would walk from the Star Plaza to the hotel, though. There are restaurants nearby (Dairy Queen, Denny's, etc..., Panera and Portillo's across Route 30), but, again, I don't know that I would plan on walking over to them.

We've stayed in hotels in the Merrillville area several times as we have family in the area. We've stayed at the Fairfield Inn and Best Western. I'd stay here again, next time. Especially since Fairfield Inn and Courtyard are both owned by Marriott and cost about the same price per night.
Reserve your rooms early, however, as this hotel was quite busy during our stay!

Room Tip: Request a ground level floor.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Indianapolis, Indiana, United States
Reviewed July 1, 2012

I was at this hotel for a wedding. A wedding that we almost did not go to because of recent financial hardship. Ultimately, we decided to come because the bride found another couple with which we could share a room and save some money. Otherwise we could not afford the trip. After the reception there were some shenanigans in the hotel which resulted in a few people getting kicked out (nothing serious just people drinking and being too loud). The culprits were from the same wedding; however, we were not part of nor were we present for these shenanigans. We came back from a food run and realized that we didn't remember our room number and we didn't think to get a key from the couple we were sharing a room with. We went to the front desk to see if we could contact the couple we were staying with. Since we just met the other couple at the wedding, we did not know their last names. The lady at the front desk refused to even try looking them up by first name. Since the room was reserved in their name, our names were not in the system. Without even giving us a minute to figure out another way to contact them she informed us that if we did not have a room we would have to leave. So we went outside to see if we could call someone who knew the number of the couple or could find them for us. Unfortunately, the bride was our only mutual contact and she was already sleeping. Several minutes later the lady from the front desk came to the parking lot with a security guard and again informed us to vacate the premises. I tried explaining to them that my car was 10 miles away and that I had never even been to this town. If we could contact another member of the wedding party then they could find the couple for us. Apparently, this was too hard to understand. I was given two options, leave with no car, limited funds, and not knowing where anything is (this was at 2am by the way) or I could wait until the police came. Luckily, someone showed up who was willing to give us a ride to our car and I had stopped drinking for several hours. So we took the three hour drive home at 2AM.

In a nutshell I was treated like a criminal because I forgot my room number. A reasonable person would have at least given us a minute to contact someone.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Nick A
Scott C, General Manager at Clarion Inn in Merrillville, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
The safety and security of our guests is our utmost priority. Given your situation and our responsiblity to provide security for our guests, I do hope you understand why we would not be able to give out another guest's information. However, as a team we do understand certain circumstances and different situations will arise. Our goal is to be empathetic to all our guests and adapt accordingly. Our sincerest apologies for not being able to assist you as we should have.

Travelers are raving about these Merrillville hotels

Indianapolis, IN
Reviewed June 22, 2012

As others had said, this was a dated property perhaps in need of some modernizing. However, renovations? Probably not. It is very well maintained, clean and not showing age (70s/80s era look? Absolutely. Peeling paint and worn carpet? Not at all). Although I did not use the pool, it was larger than some Courtyards I have stayed in and there were a few families who seemed to be enjoying it. Breakfast was, for being "Courtyard Complimentary", very exceptional with a wide variety of hot food. Rooms were comfortable and quiet and the staff, overall, friendly. If you are looking for a good, clean room with a great complimentary breakfast and nice amenities then you can find it here. If you are looking for a modern look and feel, then you need to seek it elsewhere.

Room Tip: If you are a business traveler more interested in quiet and convenience to your vehicle, choose a ro...
Lucerne
Reviewed June 17, 2012

The room was clean and inviting. We had a king room w/sofabed, included microwave and fridge t our surprise. Our reason for travel was business and pleasure and my husband and I enjoy unwinding at the end of the day by the pool and hot tub. The hot tub was dirty, had a thick film of body oil 4" above the waterline in the hot tub and inside and outside parts of the pool. Jets in hot tub seems to have not been working properly as all they did was "fizzle"--nothing like what it was when we visited one other time in the past year. Pool maintenance needs to get on th ball. Buffet breakfast has improved since the last time and the staff was very friendly. Desk clerk worked hard to keep towels by the pool when we visited. Not sure that we will be back.

Room Tip: Request a room on the back side of the building overlooking the pond and waterfall. The hotel is ne...
Wisconsin
Reviewed June 12, 2012

My husband and I stayed here on our honeymoon in '94 and wanted to stay here during an annual conference. While our room was nice and it was clean, I can see how the hotel needs some updating and care. The beds were comfortable and the room was large, but the paint in the bathroom was chipped and the toliet didn't want to flush unless you held the handle down. I think there are better hotels in the area for the price that they are charging.

Naples, Florida
Reviewed May 27, 2012

This is by far the worst Courtyard Marriott in the entire chain. As a Platinum Member I have stayed in lots of Courtyards. This is the worst! No elevator to get to your room. No furniture in the lobby. Totally outdated look and feel. The hotel itself is also a little hard to find but does have a beautiful lake and pool area. I would not stay in this hotel again and will plan to stay in the Residence Inn on my next visit to Merrillville. Unti,l they remodel I would avoid this hotel at all costs!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank BlueMarlinDave
oconnorjo, Manager at Clarion Inn in Merrillville, responded to this review, June 9, 2012
We appreciate your feedback regarding the Courtyard Merrillville. The hotel was remodeled about 5 years ago and is scheduled for some updates later this year.

John OConnor