“Ok place to stay”

Ranked #5 of 21 Hotels in Merrillville
Wisconsin
“Ok place to stay”
Reviewed June 12, 2012

My husband and I stayed here on our honeymoon in '94 and wanted to stay here during an annual conference. While our room was nice and it was clean, I can see how the hotel needs some updating and care. The beds were comfortable and the room was large, but the paint in the bathroom was chipped and the toliet didn't want to flush unless you held the handle down. I think there are better hotels in the area for the price that they are charging.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Naples, Florida
Reviewed May 27, 2012

This is by far the worst Courtyard Marriott in the entire chain. As a Platinum Member I have stayed in lots of Courtyards. This is the worst! No elevator to get to your room. No furniture in the lobby. Totally outdated look and feel. The hotel itself is also a little hard to find but does have a beautiful lake and pool area. I would not stay in this hotel again and will plan to stay in the Residence Inn on my next visit to Merrillville. Unti,l they remodel I would avoid this hotel at all costs!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank BlueMarlinDave
oconnorjo, Manager at Clarion Inn in Merrillville, responded to this review, June 9, 2012
We appreciate your feedback regarding the Courtyard Merrillville. The hotel was remodeled about 5 years ago and is scheduled for some updates later this year.

John OConnor
Regional Vice President

Travelers are raving about these Merrillville hotels

Chicago, IL
Reviewed March 18, 2012

Stayed for one night at the Courtyard which I won by bidding on Priceline. I'm glad I didn't pay the regular rate because I would have been disappointed. If you just need a place to lay your head for the night this will suffice, but there are plenty of cheaper and comparable options in the area.

I've stayed in Courtyards in other locations in the past. This property does not live up to the name. I was told the two queen rooms were unavailable so we had to settle for one bed and use the sofa bed. Linens were available for the sofa bed but no blankets. That required a late night visit to the front desk.

The bathrooms reminded me of a Motel 6. They were very dated and the sink was outside of the bathroom just like a motel, not a 3 star hotel. The floor in the bathroom and the shower were dirty, displaying their years of use. They both needed a good scrubbing. The shower head was coming out of the wall and a hole was visible where the shower head was installed because the cap was not secured in place.

The room itself was fine but it also reminded me of a motel instead of a hotel. The room was small and the way they had the bed and couch laid out made it inconvenient for the person in the bed to watch TV.

Overall my stay met my basic needs. If I had children with they would have been happy too with the pool and a basketball court. If you need somewhere really nice to stay, I would say skip this Courtyard as it does not live up to the name.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
We appreciate your comments regarding the Courtyard Merrillville. I agree the bathroom floor tile needs to be replaced - it is in good condition, but it is a peach color, not very contemporary. This tile is scheduled to be done this summer.

Regards,

John OConnor
Regional VP
Indiana
Reviewed March 8, 2012

It was a typical hotel with an indoor and outdoor pool with hot tub. Oddly, you have to get towels from the front desk so get them before you head to the pool. Most hotels offer at least a continental breakfast but not here it is a paid buffet. The rooms were decent. The rooms have pull out couchs which were great for extra seating and for my daughter. The lobby is spacious with seating around the fireplace. Not a whole lot of frills but the grounds are nice particularly around the pool in the back, nice greenery with waterfall. Work out room was very small but nice equipment. The location is near everything. A little hard to find because it's tuck behind other larger hotels.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed December 1, 2011

Lobby is huge with almost nothing in it except 2 chairs by a fireplace. Looked like an old lodge converted into a Courtyard.
Water pressure was low in the room.
Beds were fine.
Decor was from another era.
Looked like a nice pool overlooking a pond with a waterfall.
I would not stay here again.

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank stevetanyaTexas
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed November 9, 2011

I expect better from a Marriott property, but this hotel is okay. Rooms are large & clean, pool looked nice (didn't use it), & met my minimum standards. However, it didn't go out of its way to earn repeat business (including indifferent front desk staff). The fitness room that was advertised on the website was substandard. The eliptical machine was broken, and was obvious it had been for some time. The treadmills didn't have (well) working monitors, and the advertised free weights didn't have enough space to use them. Plus, it was a shabby room without even a water cooler. The room was okay, but drafty (a large space under the door allowed cold air, including cigarette smoke at one point) to blow under the door. I finally stuffed it with a towel (my first time ever for doing that in any hotel, let alone a Courtyard property). The hotel itself is at the end of the line of a frontage road (.6 miles) so is not near restaurants, but has plenty of road noise. There is a Raddison up the road that has a restaurant plus a Starbucks, so am giving that a try next time I am through on business.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Corydon, IN
Reviewed October 7, 2011

We stayed here one night after obtaining the room at a good price on Priceline. We were not treated any differently when we checked in, as another review had noted. The clerks at the desk and the staff in their breakfast area were courteous and helpful. The free coffee in the lobby was greatly appreciated and the $5 cost of breakfast (if pre-paid) was reasonable, although some hotels offer the same buffet items for free. The front sitting room was comfortable and the room and hallway clean. The pool was not being used when we were there but appeared quite nice and we would have used it had we any extra time in our schedules. The hotel does sit back from any roads out of sight, but if you follow the signs you can find it. I feel the out of the way location was a plus, making it more quiet. Despite being "back aways" from the other hotels, there is a TON of shopping opportunities and restaurants nearby, which is a good thing because we arrived starving and my husband had also forgotten to pack the dress shirt and tie he would be needing. We found a Kohl's very close-by to purchase a shirt and tie, then went to the Olive Garden for dinner (no waiting there either!) For two very weary travelers, it was a comfortable place to collapse into. We travel a lot and have experienced many hotels and would stay at this hotel again. The only downside was since we did a "Priceline" bid on this hotel, there was no guarantee of any type bed arrangement. As it turned out, we were unable to get the king we two tall people need and ended up with two double beds. Being tall people, my husband and I had a choice of either sleeping together in one double or sleeping separately. The bed was just not comfortable for me although my hubby slept like a rock. I think I would have slept fine had it not been for being crowded, which was in no way a "fault" of the hotel.

Room Tip: First floor rooms are the most convenient.