“Clean but Still Sketchy” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Extended Stay America - Merrillville - US Rte. 30

Extended Stay America - Merrillville - US Rte. 30
Ranked #12 of 21 Hotels in Merrillville
East Lansing, Michigan
“Clean but Still Sketchy”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2014

We chose to stay at this property based on low price and fairly good reviews. The room was very spacious for being a one queen and clean except for a stray hair in one of the towels. There was no information binder or even a channel listing, which I found surprising. The fridge was pretty noisy, and there definitely was quite a bit of traffic noise, but we were so tired that we weren't bothered.

The location was off the highway, though it would've been hard to find without directions, as there were several turns required. While there was ample parking, the spaces were tight, and I usually had no choice but to park my compact car between trucks, making backing out a little harrowing.

The woman at check-in was very helpful. However, there were a few other workers in the room behind the reception area screaming at each other, which I found very unprofessional. I also found it odd that when we left in the early morning, there was no one around reception nor was there a key drop.

I know this can't be really helped by the hotel, but many of the other guests made me uncomfortable, especially when they would just sit by the reception area (which is much more of a small foyer than true hotel lobby). Again, they weren't doing anything wrong, I just got creepy vibes.

There were no major problems with this hotel, but if I came back to the area, I would most likely pay a little bit more to stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: Rooms off the highway have quite a bit of noise.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank kieferr1
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Merrillville - US Rte. 30, responded to this review, May 1, 2014
I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of our hotel. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your clean, spacious room and our helpful front desk staff. Still, I apologize that you experienced some noise disturbance from your refrigerator. As well, I am sorry that members of our staff did not conduct themselves in a professional manner during your visit. I will be meeting with our staff to discuss this issue to ensure your experience is not repeated. Thank you for choosing Extended Stay America. We hope you will stay at our hotel, or any of our other brand locations in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Fortville, Indiana, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2013

Husband decided he did not want me to book ahead, we will just find something when we get there. Well he wanted to know why I did not go behind his back and do it anyway. Well thought I would teach him a lesson. We stopped at 4 hotels in the area and they had nothing, so we went here and of course they had something. The lobby was dirty, old, need of renovation. When we got to the room it was a little better. Bed was comfortable, bathroom clean, toilets were so low you could barely get up and down. This hotel is just old and run down. Did not stink, that was a plus. Wished we had not paid for two nights, but because we did we had to stay. Otherwise we would have left and headed back home early.

Room Tip: Book ahead and check ratings. Back side of hotel got a lot of highway noise.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Sue F
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Merrillville - US Rte. 30, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Sue - Thank you for your recent review of your stay. We appreciate the kind comments about the comfort of your bed and the level of cleanliness in your bathroom; however, we apologize that the hotel lobby was not clean. In response to your feedback, I am going speak with my staff about the importance of maintaining clean common areas and work with them to improve our offerings moving forward.

We continually work to improve our hotel, so I really appreciate you providing us with your feedback. If you have any additional feedback, we would like to hear it. Please contact me, at mrv@extendedstay.com, so we can speak directly. It would be our pleasure to have you stay with us again in the future to show you our positive strides taken to enhance your experience with us.

Travelers are raving about these Merrillville hotels

Hudsonville, Michigan, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2013

The bed and pillows allowed a good night's rest. The room was very clean. Front desk very helpful. The simple "grab and go " breakfast was just that. We opted to go out for a hot breakfast.
Location was close enough to interstate highway we were using. We did not hear traffic.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Merrillville - US Rte. 30, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Kathy - Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I'm thrilled to hear that you had a good nights rest due to your bed and pillows being so comfortable. As well, it is great to know that your room was so clean, the front desk was very helpful, and that you liked our location.

Phenix City, Alabama
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013

The hotel is a newer building. The room has everything one would expect from an extended stay. The cleaning ladies were very loud. Early in the morning laughing in the hallway. The room was clean. Do not expect room service if you stay less than 7 days, and for about $120 per night one would expect room service. The manager was very rude and unprofessional, no respect for the customers. Next time definitely taking our stay somewhere else.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Merrillville - US Rte. 30, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Thank you for your recent review of your stay. Your comments in regards to the room being clean and that our rooms have everything you would expect from an extended stay hotel are much appreciated; yet, I was disheartened to read that the housekeepers were loud during the morning hours and that you felt the manager was rude .

In response to your feedback, I am going to speak with our housekeeping staff. We continually work to improve our hotel, so I really appreciate you providing us with your feedback. If you have any additional feedback, we would like to hear it.

Columbia, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013

We stayed here 2 nights (8/22 and 8/23) as we attended at friend's wedding. Staff friendly and professional! Melissa and Pat were helpful and great to deal with at the front desk, and spoke to other staff while there (housekeeping -- regret I did not get any names -- who were very courteous and seemed happy to be there -- WOW!) Property was very nice and clean from looks to smells!! Landscaping looked fresh and professionally kept -- nice grounds! Well lit at night inside and out. Whole place had a fresh, new feel. And everything looked very nice inside too (Lobby area, guest laundry, hallways and certainly our very clean room!) We stayed on the 3rd floor in a King Studio -- that included a full sized refrigerator, cooktop, counter space, kitchen sink, microwave, toaster, coffee maker, place settings for two and basic cookware set (probably leaving something out here). Comfortable bedding. Very comfortable sitting chair with footstool. Nice cherry finished night stands and dresser. Kitchen Island / sitting area. Breakfast was great for our busy morning -- looked like some great coffee and hot chocolate options that we passed on, but muffins, oatmeals, fresh fruit, and granola bars were perfect for our on - the - go busy schedules! I don't get some of the other reviews on this page stating "basic" or less accommodations -- this place may not have had a pool or room service but what other place in the area offers you a FULL KITCHEN in such a SPACIOUS ROOM! -- that's not basic! Room much larger than other normal hotel accommodations. We did use internet in room to look up emails, find directions, and check a couple of websites -- it seemed as fast or faster than what we have at home, but noted that there were upgrade options offered, but for our purposes, it was not needed at all. Several great restaurant options in the area whatever your taste or budget and time. If I ever need to come to this area again, I know where I would stay. And I would recommend this to family and friends for sure -- in fact I will be! And I will be looking for other Extended Stays on future trips based on my outstanding experience this time. Everything was great!

Room Tip: We stayed on third floor in King Studio -- the whole place looked great but we were never on the 2nd...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank KRC2013
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Merrillville - US Rte. 30, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I am proud of our team for providing you with professional and friendly service, especially Pat and Melissa. As well, thank you for the nice comments in regards to our landscaping looking fresh and well maintained. I am glad to read that you were pleased with that and the lighting throughout our hotel. Plus, it is great to know that you enjoyed our grab-and-go breakfast as well as your room, complete with a fully equipped kitchen.

Hamilton, Alabama
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

the room was clean, was nice to have a fridge and stove top to cook with, but stayed there for a week, checked in on Wednesday evening and checked out the next Wednesday morning, the lady from front desk called my room on Tuesday morning asking if we was checking out the next morning... I told her yes, and Wednesday morning at 10 am she was calling to see if we was out of the room (check out was at 11 am) hubby worked till 10 am and then came and got me... I told her I thought we had till 11 am.. she said , you do.. so felt like they was rushing us away and the whole week we was there we had no room service.. I had to go get clean towels everyday and no bed change for the whole week!!!!! Neither of us could get a good nights sleep for the noise and when we walked in the room there was dirt around the edge of the walls in the kitchen part and bathroom floor had a dead bug in it

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Mechele H
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Merrillville - US Rte. 30, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Mechele - I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. Thank you for the kind comments about the kitchen in your room; however, we apologize that your room was unclean and that our housekeeping policy was not communicated to you at check-in. Please know, we offer cleaning services once a week for guests staying 8 or more nights. In between guests can receive cleaning or a refresh upon request for an additional fee. As well, we do exchange linens and towels at the front desk as needed. I will work with the staff on ensuring this message is conveyed at check-in moving forward. Plus, I will work with the housekeeping staff on improving our cleaning procedures.

Indianapolis, Indiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013

This hotel is clean inside and out. The room was simple but clean.................good bed...........kitchenette, "desk" counter, TV, microwave and coffee pot. The girl at the front desk was friendly and helpful.

Unfortunately the telephone did now work.............I suspect that there was no outgoing phone service......the desk clerk said she would try to find a replacement phone, but called back to say that she was unable to find one. She suggested unplugging and re-plugging the phone............nothing worked................dialed 9 and got a busy signal.

The contintntal breakfast is nothing to brag about................very limited with everything sitting on a cabinet about 4 feet wide, with several tiers..........no breakfast seating.........just a grab & go with nothing special.

Were these 2 items better, I would rate this property a little higher. It is off the beaten path and there is a lot of highway noise..............maybe having a room on the northeast of the hotel might provide some relief..................but, if you do not have a problem sleeping, the noise is not an issue.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Merrillville - US Rte. 30, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. We appreciate the kind comments about the hotel being clean inside and out ; however, we apologize that the telephone did not work as it should have. As this hotel’s manager, I can assure you that I will train my staff to assist guests better in the future with this type of issue to ensure your experience is not repeated. We continually work to improve our hotel, so I really appreciate you providing us with your feedback. If you have any additional feedback, we would like to hear it. Please contact me at mrv@extendedstay.com so we can speak directly. It would be our pleasure to have you stay with us again in the future to show you our positive strides taken to enhance your experience with us.