After a long day of walking at a pro golf tournament, we were ready for a good night's sleep. We checked a couple of hotels and chose the Fairfield Inn because they offered a better price than the others in the immediate area.
Finding the entrance into the hotel is a bit tricky because they don't have the usual covered entrance area to drive underneath like many hotels do. We discovered, though, that you can enter from either side of the building. Once inside, Josh at the front desk was very friendly and helpful.
We opted for a room with one king bed. Although it was a very small room, the only thing that felt small was the bathroom - there was hardly any counter space around the corner sink. Other than that, it was very clean and well appointed. If it matters to you, it was tastefully decorated. The bed was comfortable enough, but the pillows lost their fluffiness very quickly. I'm used to a rather stiff memory foam pillow, though, so maybe that's why I didn't care for them.
Our room was on the end of the building right beside the interstate and we barely heard the road noise at all... and that was even withOUT the air conditioning running to drown out any noise! Our room was also on the wall beside the stairway and we never once heard any noise from that. And, we even discovered in the morning when we went to our truck that there were workers in the hotel parking lot beside ours that had accidentally turned a Bobcat on its side that morning - which I'm sure made a loud noise - and we never even heard that!
The deluxe continental breakfast in the morning was pretty good. They offered better fare than most hotels - things like biscuits & gravy, microwaveable sandwiches, and fat free milk. Of course, they also had the usual waffles, cereal, pastries, fruit, yogurt, bagels, etc. The dining area was large enough to accommodate several people - not small and cramped where you're tripping over each other like some hotels. They promptly refilled empty things too.
The hotel itself might be a bit tricky to find for those unfamiliar with the area - it's not directly off the highway, but rather down a winding side access road. From US30, look for Staples near the stoplight. When you turn at that stoplight, immediately turn left before going up the hill to Staples. Follow the road around past Hooters, Max & Erma's, and Abuelo's - the hotel will be on the left.
There are a TON of restaurants, shopping centers, gas stations, and the like in the area. There are at least three restaurants on the same road as the hotel - the rest are on either side of US30 and I65. There is a very nice shopping mall a few stoplights east on US30. You can find just about anything you might need within a few minutes of this hotel. I highly recommend a visit to the Albanese Candy factory - about 5 minutes east on US30. It's a sensory and sugary overload!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Newly-renovated Fairfield Inn & Suites Merrillville is ideally located in the heart of Merrillville, IN at the southwest corner of I-65 and US-30. This premier location offers easy access to the area's top destinations including Star Plaza Theater, Indiana Dunes Lakeshore, and Westfield Mall, as well as the offices of NiSource, BP, and Cargill. Guests staying at this Merrillville hotel enjoy starting their day off right at the complimentary breakfast buffet, and unwind after a long day on the road in the pool. Guest rooms are highlighted by flat-screen HD TVs with premium cable, full-sized work desk, free WiFi, and select rooms with mini-fridges and microwaves. Stay at the Fairfield Inn Merrillville and enjoy the premier amenities and an ideal location that make this one of the top Merrillville, IN hotels. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Marriott, Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, Priceline, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA and HRS so you can book your Fairfield Inn & Suites Merrillville reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Fairfield Inn Merrillville
- Fairfield Merrillville
- Merrillville Fairfield Inn