“A wonderful respite”

La Quinta Inn Merrillville
Ranked #16 of 22 Hotels in Merrillville
Reviewed August 27, 2009

My husband and I had been traveling for three hours when we arrived at the hotel our travel agent had booked for us -- the Radisson. It was so unacceptable that we left within one hour of arriving and randomly chose LaQuinta since we had stayed at one before and it had been fine.

The clerk at the front desk was courteous and had us checked in immediately. Because she saw me struggling with arthritic knees, she gave us the handicapped room which was so much easier! The room was great, the bed was comfortable, and my husband and I had the pool to ourselves. It was heavenly. For almost half the price of the Radisson, we had a wonderful experience at La Quinta.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
LQ0805GM, General Manager at La Quinta Inn Merrillville, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2009

I am pleased to hear that we were able to salvage your night after a previous poor experience in the area. We hope to see you back for future stays and I assure you we will always put your needs first to provide and clean and comfortable stay.

Reviewed August 24, 2009

I'm writing this from the La Quinta. It's a little hard to find the entrance from the highway, but if you keep aiming for the sign you'll find it. Once in the parking lot, you have to drive around the corner to find the office. The desk clerk was really nice and efficient. As others have noted, the halls have a weird smell, but it was very faint. The room feels, fresh with pretty, new-looking furniture and carpet, a classy bath area, and new firm beds with attractive bedspreads. There is nice soap and shampoo but no conditioner. I was happy to see that the window could be opened, but also securely locked. Opening the window got rid of the very faint hallway odor in a few minutes. Despite being right next to I-65, it's quiet. Every chain restaurant I've ever heard of is right nearby, and there are malls and shopping centers that include stores such as Macy's, Borders, Barnes and Noble, DSW and tons of others within about a quarter mile of the motel. Parking is easy but there is no shade and you have to enter through a common hallway; the rooms don't exit directly outside. The desk clerk warned me that the internet was intermittently running slowly, but it has been completely fine the whole time I've been here. I haven't tried the breakfast yet but the dining room looked clean and welcoming. I used a coupon from one of the giveaway books you get at the rest areas and saved about $10 off the quoted rate. There is construction going on in another part of the building so I guess they are continuing the updates to the rooms. They allow pets, but except for seeing people walking their dogs, there is no evidence of animals. No barking or anything. Overall, I am happy with the value here.

Stayed: August 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank axlotl
LQ0805GM, General Manager at La Quinta Inn Merrillville, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2009

Thank you for such a positive response and I do appreciate your kind words of your stay. It is always our goal to have our guests enjoy a pleasant stay in our clean and well maintained rooms. We are working very hard to ensure every area of our hotel is updated for our guests. We do hope to see you back.

Reviewed July 16, 2009

We stopped here at 10:15 at night, were able to get a decent rate for the area. Though there was 5 of us, and the beds were only doubles. But, they had a roll away delivered within 20 minutes.
The halls smelled awful, very smoky or something, but the room was fine. The breakfast was a great value, hot waffles, with cereal, fruit, yougart and breads. Always a great time saver to be able to eat at the hotel before starting a day of driving.
Free wi-fi worked good.
I would not choose to stay here for more than a night or two, but worked fine for a one nght stay to sleep.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
LQ0805GM, General Manager at La Quinta Inn Merrillville, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2009

We do appreciate your positive feedback as well as your notes of where improvement can be made. The items noted have been addressed with the staff and we can assure you that we are working hard to improve our hotel.

Reviewed June 2, 2009

You will be begging to get back in to this hotel! Overall, we were VERY happy with the service and the room. We walked the dogs...successfully... on the back side of the hotel. Very satisfied customer

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 2, 2009

This hotel has the old beds and linens. The room had a odd smell. The paint/plaster in the bathroom was cracked in places and it looked like they sort of painted over it. We were traveling with two dogs, there was no place to walk the dogs except the grass strip between the hotel and the Bob Evan restaurant next door. The bathroom looked clean, however due to the odd smell we didn't walk on the carpet barefoot. For $76+ tax you can do better.

• Stayed: May 2009
Reviewed December 20, 2008

I saw the other reviews before deciding to take a chance on this one. It was one of the lower cost options in the area, but there are many other hotels in the vicinity. I only was looking to get some sleep and then move on, so I wasn't going to be too particular and wanted to save some money. I often stay at LaQ's and they are a good value more often than not. Some very good.

But not this one. At best, it was OK. I got about what I paid for -- an OK room, reasonably clean, but worn. The room had that smokey odor even though it was a non-smoking room. Bedding was OK. Given the other choices in the area, I'd consider staying elsewhere for a little more money. On my return trip, I did. I went to the nearby Hilton Garden and had a great room for about 35 extra dollars. It was worth it.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
Reviewed December 20, 2008

room was ok,clean and large, but smelled bad, the hallways smell too, but room was clean, and staff was friendly. I went by about noon to check on room availibility and was told that there were openings, and was quoted a price, then when i checked in later on that evening, i was quoted a different price, but when i pointed that out, they did make the adjustment.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled on business