“You can do better”

La Quinta Inn Merrillville
Ranked #15 of 22 Hotels in Merrillville
Reviewed December 20, 2008

I saw the other reviews before deciding to take a chance on this one. It was one of the lower cost options in the area, but there are many other hotels in the vicinity. I only was looking to get some sleep and then move on, so I wasn't going to be too particular and wanted to save some money. I often stay at LaQ's and they are a good value more often than not. Some very good.

But not this one. At best, it was OK. I got about what I paid for -- an OK room, reasonably clean, but worn. The room had that smokey odor even though it was a non-smoking room. Bedding was OK. Given the other choices in the area, I'd consider staying elsewhere for a little more money. On my return trip, I did. I went to the nearby Hilton Garden and had a great room for about 35 extra dollars. It was worth it.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled solo

Reviewed December 20, 2008

room was ok,clean and large, but smelled bad, the hallways smell too, but room was clean, and staff was friendly. I went by about noon to check on room availibility and was told that there were openings, and was quoted a price, then when i checked in later on that evening, i was quoted a different price, but when i pointed that out, they did make the adjustment.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed November 24, 2008

it was nice. clean. the 3rd shift staff was very friendly. very quiet. very nice, comfortable beds. it was a little more than i wanted to spend, but it was well worth it for just one night. remote for tv didn't work very well, but we hardly watched it. the heat and air worked prfectly. bathroom was very clean. i was very happy with this hotel. travel here once a month, and i will stay here every time

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled solo
Reviewed September 23, 2008

Our stay at the La Quinta was ok. The hotel had an air about it that showed it was worn. Perhaps it was the overgrown weeds in the parking lot or the lingering smell in the hallways and several rooms. I can't say our stay was unpleasant; the bathroom was updated and clean, the breakfast was fresh and plentiful, the staff was friendly and helpful. However, the hotel smelled of mildew and mold. I did notice lots of new carpet rolls lying around as well as a card in the rooms indicating that new bright colored bedding was coming soon. The hotel served its purpose for our youth sports team for a weekend tournament and saved us a few bucks. Great location. Near lots of shopping and restaurants. Right off the highway too!

• Stayed: September 2008
Reviewed August 23, 2008

Member of La Quinta Returns Club so have stayed at numerous LQs all over the nation. This was one of the worst! Only one person working when I arrived about 7pm so waited in lobby about 5 minutes before seeing anyone. Room allocated (Ground Floor King) could not be opened with room keys or receptionist's master key. No Kings left so had to take twin on 2nd floor. Corridors all have carpets with inground dirt and smell terrible. At least in the room the linens were clean and it appeared that the bathroom had been newly renovated and was very clean and acceptable.
Remote for TV wouldn't work so took it to reception - replaced with one found in a desk drawer, which didn't work either. No spare batteries so no remote which worked....
To summarise, clean bathroom and linens, but rest of hotel and staff not up to usual LQ standards

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed August 18, 2008

Like the guy before me, I'm on a cross country trip and was getting tired. There is so much construction and it was getting late- so I was happy to find this hotel. The rate was pretty good compared to other hotels I called (half the price). The guy at the front desk was very nice.

There are no elevators and we were on the second floor. Again, I'm not THAT picky and I know we got in after 10pm- so not a big deal.

BUT, the smell when you walk in- honestly I don't know if it was smoke or cleaning solution- but it irritated by throat. Then the room was 100 times worse. Cigarette smoke everywhere! My parents used to smoke and I can smell it a mile away. I opened the window, ran the AC- nothing helped. I even had some spray and that didn't mask the smell. My comforter was horrible too.

It's too bad, because the location was good. The hotel was quiet. The staff was nice. The room is a good size. Everything was clean otherwise. But, I'm actually sitting in the hotel right now and can't wait to get some fresh air.

Please- if you stay here- just check out the room beforehand if smoke bothers you. I really hope I don't get sick. I stayed in places that had forrest fires and it wasn't this bad.

oh and btw- I put a "DND" thing on the door and the maid STILL knocked. Thank god it was 10am and not 8am. I would have filed a police report :)

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed July 17, 2008

This was stop off from a cross country trip and we came in late with no reservation. The front desk staff was very helpful. The room was clean and quiet. Considering that this is just off the interstate, it was a nice change. For a one night and back on the road, this is a good stop before going into Chicago.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple