“Has some problems”

La Quinta Inn Merrillville
Ranked #16 of 22 Hotels in Merrillville
Reviewed August 25, 2013

The visit started out with some room switching. First room had a broken air-conditioner. They moved us across the hall only to find a unflushed used toilet and a book sitting on the shower ledge. The third room, next door, was acceptable. Even while in line at the front desk to get the rooms switched there was a guy switching rooms because his smelled of smoke. They were very nice at the front desk, but these are issues that should never get to the customer and should be avoided by some quality control by simply checking each room after cleaning. Even though the problems were quickly fixed, it makes you wonder what else that you cannot see is wrong with the room because of improper cleaning and shortcuts by the staff.

The rest of the stay was without issue. The hotel is old but has been recently renovated. Everything appeared clean, the HDTV was nice, and the place was quiet. It has a small exposed pool in the corner, but I never saw anyone using it. The breakfast was continental and had a couple waffle irons, but there was not a lot of places to sit and eat. I did get a good rate by using a discount web site, but I wouldn't suggest anyone paying full price. I wouldn't consider staying here again, mostly for the reasons in the first paragraph.

Stayed: August 2013

Reviewed August 24, 2013

Now we stopped on the way to Erie PA and had room 106 wasn't very pretty. And the tub scared me but staff was excellent. Was impressed very nice to us. And my folks loved the breakfast. And beds were Cindy so was pillars. On the way back to weeks later we stayed again in room 120. Very very nice. Loved very nice pictures and very clean. Shower was warm and cool but I didn't care cause it felt good after driving 500 miles. And we love the fact they take my baby dog. We will stay here again. Hopefully in same room. Thanks so much.

• Stayed: August 2013
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta
Reviewed August 17, 2013

We stopped at this hotel for a night over on a road trip to Michigan. It was very comfortable! The rooms were basic, but good quality and the breakfast was filling. They offered standard continental with a few extras like fresh waffles. The staff was prompt and friendly. Overall good stay.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 6, 2013

On July 26, my family and I stayed overnight at this La Quinta. I had booked this hotel over the phone. First, I had to call them back to get my email receipt. They had written down my email address incorrectly. I had booked one room with two queen beds. When we arrived at the hotel the front desk clerk was under the portico smoking a cigarette. Good news: he was outside. Bad news: he smelled like smoke and so did the foyer. He had a pleasant attitude. While we were checking in I asked him if by chance there was an additional room available. He said they were full. That was fine. If two rooms had meant that much to me I would have booked two in the first place. We went up to our room. When we entered we were confronted with smoke smell and two double beds! I was not happy. I booked queen beds not double! The clerk had already told me they were full so I didn't bother trying to get a different room. The carpet in the room was old and the bathroom door did not close properly. In general, the hotel is rundown and smells. I did an online satisfaction survey from La Quinta. I received an email from the General Manager saying he was sorry I had a bad stay and hoped my next visit would be better. There won't be a "next visit." I don't want anything from La Quinta, especially an email response from a General Manager that basically says "too bad." Well, they could refund the price difference between a room with two double beds and two queen beds. Bottom line: I won't return to this La Quinta.

Room Tip: If you are a non-smoker verify that the room is smoke-free!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 6, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the La Quinta Inn from Aug 2-5 for a visit with family. We had 4 rooms and no one had one compliant. We usually stay at high end hotels but being in Merrillville your options are limited and this hotel was the only hotel that would accept my dog.
It's no Hyatt but its clean, very comfortable (especially the beds), they have HD channels, theres free breakfast even though I didnt use it, it's in a great location close to everything! The area is full of amenities.

So don't listen to the reviews, it's a good little spot that will do the trick.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 5, 2013

My wife and I stayed at this hotel on July 27, arriving late and without a reservation. The hotel has undergone an extensive redecoration, and the lobby and room are clean and fashionable. Service was OK. The room did have free internet which worked well. The free breakfast was just barely OK. It is somewhat difficult getting off the street to get to the entry, and parking was nearly full when we arrived. Simple lobby, no restaurant.
The staff treated us well.
My complaint was that I feel I was price gouged because I arrived late without a confirmed reservation, and was charged about 50% more than the going rate. Watch out for the price when you check out this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
A TripAdvisor Member
Ypsilanti, Michigan, USA
Reviewed August 1, 2013

The staff at this location is great. The hotel has what any business traveler need, comfy bed, clean room, fitness center and breakfast. it was a full house during my visit but the staff moved swiftly to take care of everyone's needs. There was fruit in the yogurt area but no whip cream. The fitness center has new equipment. Good job LaQuinta overall but please fix up the parking lot.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business