“Good size room to relax”

Residence Inn Merrillville
Ranked #6 of 21 Hotels in Merrillville
Charleston, WV
“Good size room to relax”
Reviewed May 22, 2012

My wife and I stayed here on our way back from Glacier National Park. We found the room to be big and enjoyed our stay. Our room had a separate sleeping area and two televisions. There was also a full kitchen which would be beneficial to families. My wife thoroughly enjoyed the shower. Two things worth noting. First, when we were walking from our room, we noticed one of the rooms had a sign hanging on its door handle. It said that there was a four legged guest in the room. We both thought it was cute and wished we had taken a picture. Second, when we checked in, I had to sign a paper limiting the amount of people in the room and defining the quiet hours in the hotel. This will probably surprise some people. My wife and I wonder if there had been some wild parties in the past at the hotel. Needless to say, it was quiet and my wife and I had a good night sleep.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Saturndriver
MRVRI, General Manager at Residence Inn Merrillville, responded to this review, May 29, 2012
Thank you for letting us know that you enjoyed staying with us. We are very excited about our newly renovated hotel and new pool. It sounds like you were on a major road trip. I hope that next time you are passing through we can take care of you again. Have a great summer!

Jason

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed May 8, 2012

As someone who has traveled around the entire country now for over 2 years staying at extended stay Residence Inns as a Marriott Platinum member, I can honestly say without question, that this particular Residence Inn in Merrillville, In. sets the standard for service and accommodations.
My Wife and I were impressed from the moment we first walked through the front door on a Sunday afternoon ..We were greeted by the General Manager who spent nearly 10 -15 minutes letting my Wife and I know that they were scheduled to undergo an extensive remodeling and what we should expect and how they were going to go the extra mile to make our stay here the best possible and that our needs would be met . Since that moment we have been thoroughly impressed by the professional staff and the desire by Management to make us feel at home. They have honestly gone out of their way to please us, which has been refreshing. The remodel went well and was done in quick stead with no real inconvenience whatsoever. We are very pleased with our accommodations and feel we have been treated like VIP's since day one..It is obvious that the Staff and Management care and it starts at the top and filters down to everyone involved with our experience here..My wife and I highly recommend this Hotel to all travelers. Only about 45 minutes to downtown Chicago.. This service is what we will expect from now on as we continue our journey, and yes we will stay at Marriot hotels , but they will have a hard time living to our extended family at the Residence Inn at Merrillville...Thanks again!!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Tgreear243
MRVRI, General Manager at Residence Inn Merrillville, responded to this review, June 9, 2012
Thank you for the great review. The staff here has enjoyed your family being with us. We plan on naming your room after you when you leave. If we let you leave...
As always, please let us know how we can serve you better and we will see you at breakfast, in your special reserved chair.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed April 7, 2012

My friend and I took our daughters to Chicago over spring break, mainly to go to the American Girl Place and to see museums, ect. W e are suburbanites and we decided to stay about an hour away from the city and drive in each day vs. staying in the city. Like any other 8 & 9 year olds, they LOVE going to hotels to swim. That didn’t happen. We checked in around 6:30 and there should have been enough time for them to relax, swim and have fun, however, when inspecting the rooms/beds for bedbugs (which I always do when traveling), I found one crawling on the white comforter. I screamed for my friend to call the front desk. My daughter and her friend were hysterical, they know what bed bugs are and were crying that their spring break was ruined. The front desk clerk was nice and quickly offered to switch us to another room. Luckily, I had brought a travel size bed bug spray with us, knowing we would be in a hotel room. I sprayed this bug and the front desk clerk used gloves and placed it in a zip lock bag. I took several pictures of it also. I work in a hospital and see power point presentations all the time with pictures of bedbugs. This bug, to me, looked absolutely like a bed bug. About the size of a dark brown sesame seed crawling in the bed.
It took us quite a while to pack up 3 kids and all of our things and move to another room. Upon entering that second room, it took us quite a while to completely inspect for bedbugs. We were all done by 9:30 and by this time it was too late for the kids to swim. They were very upset. Needless to say, I didn’t get a good nights sleep….nightmares about bedbugs. Upon speaking to the General Manager Jason in the morning, he told me he couldn’t offer me anything until he got the result of a pest control company and he wasn’t very nice about it either. I had requested of him that he extend our stay for free for one more night. He reiterated that he “couldn’t do anything for me until he got the result of the pest control company”. I explained that not only did the kids not get to swim, but also, I now would have to head to a laundry mat instead of home and wash all of my clothing to ensure I didn’t bring bed bugs into my home from their hotel. Add to that the fact that it was complete hysteria with 3 kids screaming about bedbugs, no sleep, ect.
So, while we were eating breakfast the next morning the pest control company came. I asked him if that was a bed bug and he would not tell me. He said he only reported to Hotel Management. The GM told me that they said it was a ‘beetle’. I should have taken the bug with me to have someone else verify this. The GM would not refund my nights stay, he only gave us a $60 credit which we had paid to upgrade from a 1 bedroom to a 2 bedroom. I don’t know if it was or was not a bed bug, as the GM did not let me speak to the Pest control company and he could have lied to me.
I called the 1-800 number for corporate Marriott and they told me they could not do anything because this particular Residence Inn was a franchise and not a corporate hotel. The GM e mailed me after I made this complaint and basically reiterated what he said to me in the hotel. He denied it was a bedbug and said they compensated me $60, and he felt that was enough. I will NEVER stay here again.
Add to this nightmare about the bug, was the fact that at their managers reception they always ran out of food, there was a lady in line with us and she said “Yeah, this always happens here”, the again the next day at breakfast, they ran out of waffle mix, sausage, eggs and fruit. The manager actually left and went out to a store and bought fruit. It was very aggravating when trying to feed 3 kids that they kept running out of food. It took way way way too long to eat breakfast because of this.
Also, on our second night, I called the front desk 3 times to complain about the noise upstairs. Kids must have been jumping off beds, slamming drawers, ect. Front desk was nice and sent security up there to tell them to be quiet. They said a ‘large family’ had checked in. Upon my 4th call to the front desk, no one answered, I assumed they were up at that room asking them to be quiet. My friend was awake until 3 am, at one point, thinking someone was breaking in our door it was so loud. I finally fell asleep (with the help of a pair of ear plugs and a muscle relaxer) after the 4th attempt to call the front desk. Upon check out, the front desk did issue us some Marriott points to compensate for the noise. I don’t know if their hotel is poorly constructed, so that you hear all second floor noise, or it this family was doing acrobatics in their room, but our second night was about as sleepless as the first.

Between the bug found in the bed our first night and the noise all night long the second night we got no rest. We definitely would NOT stay here again.

Room Tip: If you stay here, stay upstairs so you don't hear noise from the people above you.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank CincyCheerMoM
MRVRI, General Manager at Residence Inn Merrillville, responded to this review, April 11, 2012
Thank you for your comments. I would like to clarify that at every step of this experience the fantastic team at my hotel listened and attended to your needs. They moved you at your request and provided remedies and compensation for each issue that you encountered. The company that we have contracted for such instances is Ecolab. They are a national highly recognized brand. They are prevented contractually from speaking with the guests of the hotel for many reasons and when you spoke to their representative he informed you of that fact. Their representative identified the insect as not being a bedbug and thoroughly inspected the room for any evidence of bedbugs. The Ecolab representative provided the hotel with a report stating that there was no bedbug activity present. That report is available.
Again I am sorry that your experience was not all that you expected. I personally spoke with you multiple times and compensated you during your stay for the issues experienced. We constantly strive for excellence at the Residence Inn in Merrillville and do not take our recent $2 million renovation for granted. We understand that unparalled service is necessary also. Please visit us again and you will see that our team is committed to excellence in every aspect of hospitality.
Lincoln
Reviewed February 5, 2012

We were warned that the hotel wad undergoing remodeling, which we appreciated. The work caused the breakfast room to be moved, but did not affect us otherwise. Our room had already been remodeled, and was quite nice.

• Stayed February 2012
MRVRI, General Manager at Residence Inn Merrillville, responded to this review, February 6, 2012
Thank you for your comments. We are indeed undergoing a complete renovation and the results are spectacular. We are very excited about the new look and the staff feels great about the fact that you were not inconvenienced during your stay. We have worked very hard to make the process smooth.
The total hotel renovation will be complete by mid February, making us the newest Marriott product in our market. Please come see us again when we are completely done.

Beltsville, Maryland
Reviewed October 24, 2011

Shared a two-bedroom suite with another couple. Was pleasantly surprised to find that each bedroom had its own dedicated full bath, which was really nice. Rooms were mostly clean, but smelled of disinfectant (like a nursing home) when we first checked in. Some of the interior areas could use some renovation or redecorating. Huge breakfast selection, including several hot items (eggs, sausage, waffles). Had noisy neighbors upstairs, but when we mentioned this to the desk clerk on our way out she was nice enough to give us a discount for the inconvenience.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank hbavguy
Euless, Texas
Reviewed September 14, 2011

What an all around great hotel here in merrillville. Off the main drag, but still within walking distance to great restaurants, pubs, malls, stores, theatres, gas and convenience. More than adequate parking, friendly staff, clean hotel, great BBQ patio and mgr's social. another 'feels like home' hotel.
Always there to try to meet your needs, great breakfasts and social hour with Free food and Beer/Wine 4 days a week. The time here went too fast because we enjoyed our stay very much at this Residence Inn.
The rooms were clean and comfortable, the internet was good, the staff was great along with the housekeeping and maintenance.
Rental car nearby with pick up and delivery.
I'd definitely do it again at the Residence Inn Merrillville!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
MRVRI, General Manager at Residence Inn Merrillville, responded to this review, September 20, 2011
Thank you for your fantastic review. We try very hard to take care of our wonderful guests. I am glad you felt the internet connection was good because today we just added another connection and doubled our capacity.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed August 26, 2011

This was a little bit older property, but generally clean and well maintained. Front desk was very pleasant and helpful. We had a genuine one BR suite with a separate living area, which was important since we were traveling with our 16 year old daughter. This was not the case when we booked the same room type at three other (of many) hotels on a long three week road trip. It is not to be taken for granted that you will actually have a two room suite. Overall a solid choice to stay here.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
MRVRI, General Manager at Residence Inn Merrillville, responded to this review, August 29, 2011
Thank you for your comments. We strive for clean and friendly every day. You mentioned that the hotel is older. We are happy to inform you that we will be getting a full renovation around February of 2012. We are very excited and hope that you come see us again. - Jason