“Absolutely Great”

Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Valparaiso, Indiana
“Absolutely Great”
Reviewed August 10, 2012

Cafe Fondue is amazing. They serve a four course meal to perfection. I have been there multiple times with my friends it always gets better. If you ever travel to the Chicago-NW Indiana area stopping in at Cafe Fondue is a must.

• Visited July 2012
3 Thank Slew103

Chicago, Illinois
“Fun anniversery and great food”
Reviewed August 1, 2012 via mobile

I wanted to do something different and special for our anniversery. Many friends of us talked about Cafe Fondue. It is a little bit far from Horland Park but I didn't have a fondue since long time and my friends highly recomended it. This trip was worth it. I had a very great evening and my wife was very happy. First of all the restaurant is very modern class looking , the owner told us that they just finished the renovation. The food was fresh and great. we had way enough that we could not finish our desert. The service was outstanding. I am sorry for them that some fox from NWI don't know what is fondue and complain about cooking! By the way the oil is vegetable I asked. Anyway I can not wait to go back with my friends. I forgot to say that the price is very reasonable and I check online with some other fondue place in Chicago. You should try Cafe Fondue!

2 Thank Terry G
“Not good at all, so bad we were sick for days after going!”
Reviewed July 24, 2012

we got a combo plate for Valentines day & a: don't know but frying your own meat in peanut oil was pretty gross B: for the price I did not find it a value at all!! Only got 1 chocolate to dip what a strawberry each & I think a banana piece each?? No sponge cake or assortment of any!! Got such a short explination of how to do things & I know I surely did not cook anything long enough!! Willl never go back to tis place & have had friends tell me that had plans to go & have had them convienced, nevermind. Have been to a othe place in Chicago and that place was awesome!! had different cheeses, meats, seafood, fruits, cakes, chocolates & for being Chicago you would think more expensive but not even!!! Sooooo gross

Visited February 2012
Chicago, IL
“Eh”
Reviewed May 2, 2012

I wasn't impressed. Little bits of food you dip in some sauces. Eh, no big deal. I could never return and wouldn't be disappointed.

1 Thank 4qqqq
Crown Point, Indiana, United States
“Service was great, food was ok”
Reviewed April 8, 2012

I went to Cafe Fondue yesterday with some family members. We had never been before and we had a pretty good experience. The staff was REALLY great and that made the experience all the more better. Our server was so helpful and explained the whole process with us. My niece, 4 yrs old, was with us and the staff was so nice to her and very accommodating.

At this restaurant your whole table has to agree upon what you want to get. You all have to get the same cheese, salad (only one type), and chocolate type. The only area where you could be different was the meat main course. I didn't really like this. I wish it was different.

First, we started off with the cheese fondue. With the suggestion from our server, we choose to go with a cheese we've never heard of. I should have asked more about the cheese before we order it because it ended up being close to a Swiss cheese. I didn't really care for it. It came with apples, grapes and bread chunks. Other reviewers have described their bread as chopped up hamburger buns. I wouldn't go as far as to say that, but the bread didn't seem all that. I would have liked better quality bread. The apples were ok in the cheese, but not the grapes. I don't like mixing fruit with cheese, but that's just me. Next time I think I'll go for the classic cheddar. Our server did give us more bread though. That was nice!

Then we moved on to salad. It was all the same and with a house dressing. I liked it. It was enjoyable.

Next we had our main entree. I ordered a mean titled "Americana". It had filet mignon, boneless chicken and jumbo shrimp. When they brought it out to us, I was shocked. They brought out the food for each person on a big serving spoon. My food was all on this big spoon. It made it look like the meal for meant for a child. I thought "Gosh, I'm paying all this money for that little amount of food!" The server explained to us how to cook out meets and vegies. Each meet and vegie had a different time limit to it. I didn't really like how I had to work that hard for my food. Also, (my fault too) I burned my lip because the skewer touched my lip while it was still too hot. I think we should've had a little bit more instruction on them, but I guess I should have known better. So, we were enjoying our main dish and with the dippings in the middle when the owner (or manager) offered us more chicken and asked how we liked it. That was so nice of her and by that time we really didn't need more food but we ate it anyway! I initially thought that the amount for our main dish was small, but it filled me up. When you have a 4 course meal, you don't need a huge dish.

The last part was my favorite. The desert! We chose the classic chocolate fondue. Our server lite the chocolate on fire (my niece loved that) and we were able to roast marshmallows. It went too quickly and I wish the fire would have lasted longer, but I guess that's not the focus. We gobbled up the desert plate they gave us which was marshmallows, pineapples, strawberries, bananas gram crackers and pound cake. The portions were so small and I would have loved for them to offer us more. We were really thinking they would because they did for the bread and chicken portions. Sadly, though, they did not. The fruit tasted great with the chocolate, but that’s to be expected. The pound cake was dry and kept breaking off. The desert was small and next time I would probably want to order twice the amount.

Overall, the place was very small and the hours are not great. Only open 4 hours in the evening? Come on. We took 2 hours at the restaurant. Also, don’t bring young children or children at all. The staff was nice, but not really a good idea. Another reviewer mentioned that this is the only fondue place in NW Indiana, so you have to make do with what there is. I agree. However, it was a good experience, but I will probably not do it the same way I did it again. It cost way too much money for the food that was given. I will probably go again, but just for the desert part. The fondue experience was great and I enjoyed that part. It made me want to do it at home. So, I guess you could say it inspired me! The best part about my experience was our server, she was great, and the chocolate fondue with the fruit!

• Visited April 2012