“Dirty and noisy air conditioner”

Super 8 Merrillville/Gary Area
Ranked #17 of 21 Hotels in Merrillville
Reviewed August 11, 2012

I wish there is minus for ratings for this place. We have stayed at few Super 8 motels when we took 5 weeks vacation to west coast from the Midwest, never, ever had a place like this one.
This place have a sign saying 'No smoking' but when I walked into the lobby there was heavy and thick smell of smoke. The place was dirty, very small lobby had two chairs and they were filthy, I wouldn't let my children sitting on those chairs. The whole city was booked up and we couldn't find any other places to stay over night.
We checked into the room and smelled really bad, turned the air conditioner on but it made terrible noise. I looked at the switch panel, it didn't even have a cover but filled with dust. I called the front desk asked about the noise, she said the place is all booked and she couldn't switch us to any other room. She suggested to turn off the air and open the window. The place is right off the interstate 65, I couldn't have that noise either for us to sleep. She said she will bring a fan WHEN she can but looks like I will be staying up all night with all the noises around here. It's now 1:30 am and still no fan!
Please do not stay at this place or keep commenting about your stay, maybe the company will do something for future customers.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Super 8 Merrillville/Gary Area

Reviewed July 29, 2012

We made reservations at this hotel for Nationals with our softball team for a week. When we arrived there on Monday to check in, the experience started off when I walked in there in no Ac in the building, I question why. The tan lady states they only have window AC units in the room I was like WHAT? I stated let me make some phone calls and I will get back to you. Well unfortunately I called every hotel in the area and nothing was available in the area due to Nationals and 500 teams in town. Believe me if there was a open all 30 of us would of left. So during are stay they never cleaned our rooms we had to ask for towels everyday on top of asking that they change our bed sheets. We had to take our own trash out. They never clean the bathrooms at all. The management there was unbelievable as well he never helped out any situation we had, all he could said was "if you dont like don't stay "" We had no where else to go!! The breakfast was oatmeal cream pies,lil debbie's,and bagels. I'm still not sure what we paid for at this Super 8. Also the oder in this place was very terrible it was a good thing I brought my own febreeze to spray to give it a better smell in my room. The AC unit in my room u could turn it down to cold but if u wanted to turn it up you couldn't because the button was broke. Let's talk about the TV now when I got there Monday I had all the channels , we got a lil storm Monday nite, so thn my TV had only 4 channels the rest of the week. The front desk told me sorry there is nothing they could do! REALLY I almost went through the roof. I suggest you never stay here!!!!!!

Room Tip: Don't choose this place PERIOD!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Heather B
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I had a confirmed pre-paid reservation. Check in time was 2PM, I arrived at 2:55PM, greeted by a woman that states "We don't have any rooms available! Oh, do you have a reservation?" I told her I did. She seemed very put out by me interupting her personal phone conversation. She told me I would have to come back in about 15 min because she had already closed out her register. (never heard of such a thing, and it was pre-paid) I returned at 3:35pm and had to wait about 1/2 hour for the new woman to take care of the 2 long term guests in front of me. By this time I am sweltering and dripping sweat as it is 97 outside and at least that in the lobby. The new desk clerk tells me that she has 12 reservations and 6 rooms. I am thinking first come first serve and I am there. Then she says she only has two rooms and neither have A/C but she could give me a fan but couldn't give me any discount because I already had a discounted rate, (all the while going on and on about HER situation) I told her is was not about the money, I NEED a room with A/C. By now, I am not sure if my dog or I am going to pass out with the heat. I asked her if she could get me in another hotel in the area WITH A/C. No, she can't do that. I called the Super 8 800# from the lobby and asked for their help. By now it is after 4pm cancellation time and the hotel doesn't want to refund my money either! Super 8 800# did get me in a hotel 20 miles away for $35 more and talked to the desk clerk to refund my money. While I was there in the lobby, a door opened to a hallway with guest rooms, a VERY strong odor of human urine was wafting into the lobby. There was no manager to talk to or call. I did relay all this to Super 8 corporate as this place should not be allowed to have any chains name on it! I did get a very nice room at a Super 8 in Portage IN.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel, this place needs to be torn down
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed June 29, 2012

This was the most disgusting place I have ever stayed. There was "stuff" on every wall and obviously had not been wiped down in a very long time. The staff was disinterested, you couldn't get coffee, the breakfast is a muffin...this place is not up to par with other Super 8's. They don't tell you that there is maid service every OTHER day, and even on those days, God forbid you have a shoe laying on your bed, you won't get your bed made. 2 towels for 4 people is about all you'll get, other than attitude if you ask for more.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 4, 2012

I had booked my room before seeing the reviews on here about odor and bugs, so when I checked in, I went and looked at the room before bringing my luggage up. I was very pleasantly surprised. There was no bad smell at all, and it was quite clean, with no bugs anywhere. There was free wifi in the room, and the beds were comfortable enough with clean bedding. It is definitely not a luxury hotel, but it was good for the price. The "continental breakfast", however, was exactly the same...donuts and coffee. We ate at Arby's.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 10, 2011

We were traveling this last weekend and tried to stay at this hotel. The room seemed nice and tolerable for the price. Then I opened the desk drawer and 2 roaches scurried around. As we were packing up to leave we saw another by the mirror. We looked at them several times to make sure what type of bug they were and they were definitely Cockroaches. We could not stay in that room and got our money and left.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 17, 2011

Negatives: STRONG, stomach-turning, musty odor; malfunctioning A/C; filthy, turn-your-feet-black carpet; uncomfortably hard beds; ridiculously- thin pillows, stained bedspreads; Exterior entrances do not lock~open to anyone!; Continental brkfst consisted of stale donuts, warm milk, & no FREE coffee;
Positives~ ABSOLUTELY NONE