“Needs improvement!”

Ranked #19 of 21 Hotels in Merrillville
Chicago, Illinois
“Needs improvement!”
Reviewed August 8, 2013

This hotel needs work from the carpet to the furniture to the pool area itself. Location was much better when it was Lee's Inn but now the whirlpool suites are gone and the entire needs maintenance. It was much different from the pics on my travel site, the staff is friendly and the basic is basic(toast, bagels, donuts, juice and coffee). I thought it would have improved and so I booked it. Big no no.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
General Manager E, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
As General Manager of the EconoLodge Merrillville I want to thank you for posting your review on this site. I'm sorry that you were disappointed with our accommodations and want to assure you that we are in processes of updating our property. I am pleased to hear that our staff did give you good customer service because that is what we always strive for. I hope that you would consider giving us another try in future.

Thank you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Michigan
Reviewed July 29, 2013

We booked thru Hotels.com and I had an open mind going into the Econo lodge in Merrillville. we just needed a place to lay our heads for the night before going to our next destination. BUT... the beds were so uncomfortable, we hardly slept, the towel rack fell of the wall when we touched the hand towel, the A/C would only work if you held the temperature sensor to make it kick on, the complimentary shampoo in the room was so small it would only work for someone with really short hair... there were three of us! thank goodness we brought our own! My son went in the pool and thought it was a salt water pool - it wasn't!!! there was SO much sweat in it, the water was salty!! YECK! He was only in for a few minutes and went back to the room and took a really long hot shower. One good point about the hotel - There was plenty of hot water. Right after we turned off the lights, I heard a loud noise and my daughter says - did you see that! At the center of the rooms ceiling where the smoke alarm is, The smoke alarm sent out a spark! I didn't see it and it didn't happen again as I watched for the next hour. The rooms are very dated, the WiFi is poor, the carpet is warn and needs replaced, the doors need to be sanded down and repainted because you can see the previous color from all the scratches on them. some of the lights in the hallway were out - ones above the doors as well as the wall sconces. Even thought the rate was inexpensive, I would never stay at this hotel again. It's not worth the money spent when you can't even sleep... Save your money and go somewhere else.

1 Thank KLM1965

Travelers are raving about these Merrillville hotels

Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

The staff was very friendly. Light bulbs need to be replaced in the hallways. There was a smell of some sort in the hotel. The furniture was worn out, but the bed was comfortable. The carpet has seen better days also. It would be great if breakfast was left out a little longer. The towels were cheap and there were only three of them. This was our third hotel night in a row and just wanted to get home. Once again the staff was very nice and it looks like the hotel is trying to make improvements. If you stay one exit away you get a much nicer room and pay twice as much.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Lafayette
Reviewed July 16, 2013

The hotel smells like smoke, the carpets are very dirty, and the stay was not comfortable. The price was low but the quality was reflected. We tried to be open minded but were disappointed. The staff didn't appear to be phased by anything.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank McQuay N
Ohio City, Ohio
Reviewed July 15, 2013

The Econo Lodge used to be Lee's Inn (from my understanding) which was a "nicer" motel in Merrillville as motels would go. My husband was born and raised in Gary so he suggested we stay here which put us mid-way between his family and Chicago. We arrived on Thursday night after driving all afternoon. The desk staff was VERY PLEASANT and PROFESSIONAL. We signed our "noise and non smoking" clause and proceeded to our room on the first floor. As soon as we opened the door the unbearable smell of cigarette smoke filled our noses. THE ENTIRE ROOM SMELLED LIKE SMOKE. There were tiles missing in the bathroom and there appeared to be a dried unattended spill on the back of the door of the bathroom. I walked back down to the desk and spoke with Ernestine who was really nice and professional. I explained our situtation and told her we'd sleep in the room that night but on the following day we needed a new room on the second floor. She was very understanding. The next day upon leaving we had to take all of our belongings with us and we left the hotel. When we came back the following evening we checked into our new room on the second floor and it was clean, fresh and comfortable.

Upon check out I spoke with Shayla who was also very pleasant and professional. She gave me a discount on my room for the inconvenience and we were on our way. I dont know that I'd choose the Econo Lodge in Merrilleville to stay in again. But what I can say is that the managers should be proud of their employees and recognize them for such great professionalism.

We paid a little over $60 per night and we got a $60 per night hotel. Anyone who thinks they are going to pay that price and get the Ritz Carlton is foolish.

Great Job Econo Lodge staff for making our stay pleasant!

Room Tip: Ask for a second floor room....room 102 needs a "do over"
1 Thank newlywed2011_11
Torrington, Wyoming
Reviewed July 4, 2013

Over time, we've stayed at Econo Lodges whenever we can and have been well satisfied with both the accommodations and the price. However, this time we got a rude surprise. We were informed that this motel had recently went through a renovation. The location, appearance both outside and in, staff, and check in was good to great. Then, at the west entrance it happened. The cleaning staff were holding the outside entry door open while they smoked their cigarettes. The entry had wallpaper loose and hanging and stunk like some chemical. Just inside the interior entry door was our room door. The hall showed the results of an excellent renovation. Very pleasing. Upon entering our assigned roomed, it was obvious the previous occupant(s) had smoked their cigarettes in there. The air conditioner set on high soon took care of that situation. However, the dirty carpet soon turned our white socks black, the sink didn't have a stopper, and the bathroom floor was missing some tile and had chunks of dried tile adhesive sticking up. It appears the renovation didn't include this room. The bed was excellent as were the breakfasts. We are assuming this room just got overlooked as the rest of the place looked great.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
General Manager E, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, July 13, 2013
Thank you so much for bringing these things to our attention. I have personally along with my maintenance team taken care of these issues. I hope that you will be willing to try us again in the future.

Thank you.
Reviewed July 3, 2013

The shower still has someone's soap and washcloth. No security chain on door. Electrical cover missing. Bathroom tile is grossome. No dryer or towel rack k in bathroom. No light cover on ceiling light. Hallway makes you I'll before you get to the room. Sorry I booked this place. Don't make the same mistake!

• Stayed July 2013