“Soccer Team Friendly”

Ranked #15 of 21 Hotels in Merrillville
Detroit, MI
“Soccer Team Friendly”
Reviewed November 4, 2013

Our team stayed here while we were playing games in the Midwest regional league. They allowed us to use the breakfast room and lobby for a team dinner. They were very accommodating and the rooms were nice and clean. The location was convenient and the staff very friendly. We would stay again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Shelli W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Merrillville, responded to this review, June 11, 2015
Hi,

Thanks so much for the positive review. Hope to see you again soon.

Shelli. W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed October 14, 2013

I booked an overnight stay through the Holiday Inn website and received a discount for booking 8 days before the arrival date. The hotel's location is in the midst of many restaurants and other similarly priced hotels and I felt I was in a safe area. The parking lot was ample and well-lit, and I found parking near the front door and the side door for easy access to and from my room. The check-in process was flawless and the front desk agent was friendly and helpful. She gave me a bottle of water and offered a snack from a basket of two selections. There is a popcorn machine in the lobby with popcorn bags and assorted flavored popcorn salts and I helped myself to a bag of popcorn. There was another guest at the popcorn machine and we commented how this was a "nice touch." The amenities were nice and the room itself was spacious for the price. The room, bed linens and towels were very clean. The bed was comfortable and I had a very restful night after my long 7 hour drive from the Nashville area to Merrillville IN. The complimentary breakfast offered a good selection of various breakfast items and due to my long drive the night before I slept in and arrived just as the breakfast items were being cleared away but instead of being told the breakfast was no longer available, the very nice and friendly woman who replenishes the breakfast items invited me to partake of some of the breakfast items she had already removed to the kitchen area. The entire stay from start to finish was a very positive experience.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed July 28, 2013

I probably should have noticed something was amiss when there was a pack of earplugs and a little note alongside them in the basket of coffee and supplies for the coffee maker...

The rooms here are nice and clean, and the hotel is very convenient to the highway, restaurants, etc. but I will never stay here again purely because of how loud the place is. There are large gaps under the doors that allow all hallway noise to bounce right into your room, and the soundproofing in said hallways is either lacking or non-existent. Every little noise, from a door slamming to someone yelling the the hallway is right there for you to enjoy.

Service was ok, the breakfast was a hotel breakfast, and the rest of the stay was ok once I decided to use the complimentary ear plugs, but the fact that they make them a part of the amenities in the room means they know there is a problem with noise and choose to ignore it.

Will not stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank JonS874
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Merrillville, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Dear JonS874,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate your nice comment regarding service and breakfast.

However, We’re sorry about the noise during your stay. We will look into this point. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to ensure complete guest satisfaction. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
IHGCare

Travelers are raving about these Merrillville hotels

Sheboygan, Wisconsin
Reviewed April 11, 2013

This hotel is just OK. It is older and it shows. I hade little to no internet connection for my stay. I spent over a half hour every day on the phone with the internet company. The girl at the desk was very helpfull and tried but his is a hotel issue and I will most likely not stay here again when I am in this area.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Merrillville, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Dear Terry B,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments online. I am sorry that your visit was negatively affected by the Internet connection malfunctioning. Your review will be used to consider enhancements needed and we hope that you can give us a chance to show what we have done at a latter time.

Regards,

Pam G.
IHGCare
Kokomo, Indiana
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We have stayed in this hotel several times and always had a good experience. But this time the bed I slept in was like a rock! Did not sleep well at all. The breakfast was nice but nothing special. Pancakes were not that great but there were a couple other warm options. Coffee was cery good.

• Stayed February 2013
Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed August 9, 2012

Our initial impression was ok....enjoyed our first night. We woke up early the next morning and left the hotel around 7:30 am to pack my sister in law for the big move back to Columbia. After a very long and tiresome day of packing and loading a 24ft moving truck we made it back to our room around 6:30 pm...opened the door and NOTHING! The beds had not been made, the bathroom had not been cleaned, no fresh towels...nothing. I immediately called the front desk and was told "sorry" in a very nonchalant manner. We asked for clean towels and were provided those....we again left for a late dinner and arrived back to the sound of a party in the room across the hall....the party continued until 3:00am in the morning....we called the front desk to complain several times and were told that security would come up....I NEVER SAW SECURITY, not sure if they even had security. I had to leave at 4:30am to begin the journey home with just a few hours sleep. Called and spoke with the GM and was again told "sorry" and that he couldn't do anything for us because I booked the room through my travel club. To add insult to injury when I returned home and checked my account these fine folks charged me for two nights that I had already paid for. So that was my experience guess I should have ponied up and stayed at the Hampton Inn right beside it.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Redhawk51
Reviewed July 18, 2012

Well For Starters Our Room Was In An O.K. Condition And Also Clean. But, It Had A Flipside To It Which Was After I Returned To My Room (That Night) I Had Noticed That It Was Still In The Condition That I Had Left It In. The Maid Had Skipped Our Room! I Was Not Satistfied With That, So The Next Day I Checked Out And Had Decided To Stay In The HIE In Schereville, IL. This Hotel Was Much Cleaner And Had Friendly Staff (Other Than HIE in Merrivile, IL) I HIGHLY Recommend This Hotel Instead.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank GabbyBoo22
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Merrillville, responded to this review, August 10, 2012
Dear GabbyBoo22,

We appreciate that you took the time to review our hotel. I am delighted that you were satisfied with the overall conditions of our hotel. However, I'm sorry to see you received service that was less than satisfactory. I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Janice A