“good location, helpful staff”

Hilton Garden Inn Merrillville
Ranked #1 of 22 Hotels in Merrillville
Reviewed March 23, 2014

check-in was handled very quickly. parking was very close to the front of the hotel, much closer than most hotels. we stopped by the bar to pick up some plates and silverware to bring to our room for eating some food we'd brought with us - no problem! all staff we encountered were very pleasant and efficient.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Joseph N, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Merrillville, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2014

hon3yest,

Our staff was delighted to read you comments about how pleasant and efficient they are. They are the best in every aspect of hospitality!!! We always have supplies on hand if your every need anything. I was glad to see that you noticed how quick and efficient our checkin process here. We look forward to seeing you next time you pass through Northwest Indiana!!

Safe Travels,

Reviewed March 21, 2014

I stayed at this hotel in a " Up Graded Suite" for business. Overall the hotel is nice, friendly clerk to greet and check you in, made to order breakfast, and comfortable beds. However... management really needs hire a NEW cleaning crew. The room had sticky counter tops, the shower walls were dirty, the rug needs to be replaced... it is very .. very dirty, the small couch had awful stains on it. The counter top near the coffee machine had a thick dust ring around the edges with 8 coffee creamers wedged between the cabinet and wall. We were in room 309... I would not stay on that floor.. because clearly the maids need training on how to clean a room. Although the very dirty rug needs a good shampoo or deep ... deep cleaning. If the room had been cleaned better I would have rated higher. I spent the first 30 minutes washing down all the sticky counter tops and shower walls. The air freshener sprayed in the room to make you think it is clean....had a nice smell... but... the room was still dirty!

Also don't worry about setting an alarm. The maid will knock on your door along with ALL the other doors starting at 8:00am... Guaranteed to wake you up.. when you hear all the door banging from room to room. I thought this was very rude. Check out is at noon... but the maid will make sure you are up by 8:00... so don't plan on sleeping in.

Room Tip: The 3rd floor maids need to learn how to clean. Check your room out first before you unpack.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank ChgoGal2
Joseph N, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Merrillville, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2014

ChgoGal2,

I wanted to apologize on behalf of the Hilton Garden Inn Merrillville for your most recent stay. The experience that you had by far is not the norm here by any means. Thank you so much for taking the time to fill out the TripAdvisor review. We look forward to seeing you when you come back to visit us!!!

Joseph.Noworyta@hilton.com

Reviewed March 19, 2014

We recently stayed at this hotel - from the minute we walked in we felt very welcome. Joe - the 1st face of the hotel was by far the most efficient friendly helpful desk clerk we have ever checked in with. We found our room very clean & comfortable. Our breakfast on Sunday morning was very good - but the service we received from the complete breakfast staff was excellent. Joe the desk clerk even came over to ask us how we enjoyed our stay - that was a 1st for us too. People should stay here just to experience the staff - incredible.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Laurie043,

Wow!!!! We were ecstatic to read you review!!!! Our staff performs at the highest level possible at all times in every department. It also looks like the Wisconsin Badgers are still winning!!!! I hope you were able to get to try Gelsosomos Pizza. It really does taste just like your personal favorite Aurelios. I really hope that we see you soon!!

Bon Appetit!!!

Reviewed March 19, 2014

I confirmed for a two bed room, but was informed upon check in that the only rooms available were a king and a pull out. Pull out was very uncomfortable, but otherwise room was clean and nice. The staff were all very nice. The furnishings in the room were nice. Overall, this is a good value.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

angela907,

We were glad to hear that you had enjoyed your stay here at the Hilton Garden Inn Merrillville!! The staff that we have is the best in the business!!! We look forward to seeing you when you make your way back out to Merrillville. See you next time!!!!!!

Reviewed March 17, 2014

Being away from home, family, everyday routine etc...is hard in itself. I stayed here for two weeks and it was home away from home, so much I started saying "on my way home" the service was amazing and they treated us very well. The breakfast crew Mia, Deangelo, Erica, and many others were on point. Greeting us by name, remembering our drink order, engaging in conversation, along with caring of all the other guest. The food was amazing I highly recommend Erica's " French toast" has to made by her. PHENOMENAL!!! Mia and Deangelo were a pleasure. Very attentive and caring!! I miss them now that I'm home and would highly recommend this place....Tom, Jaimee, and Michelle were very helpful at the front desk, always asked how our day was, and if we needed anything. I've stayed at more then my share, but the service is exceptional and I will return. Not everyone is mentioned by name but the entire staff was very nice.
The only complaint I have is the hotel manager seemed upset every time we saw her, she never spoked to us, or her staff for that matter when she came in when I was their. I asked who she was bc she looked like she was angry. After finding out she was the manager I was displeased that she never once said hi or bye to us We stayed 2 weeks!!!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed March 10, 2014

I had a wonderful experience at this hotel. The staff was plesant and knowledgeable. They have a good breakfast and dinner too. The rooms are clean and spacious. It's in a convient place by the mall and plenty of eating places. This hotel made a world of difference in my stay in the city.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed February 17, 2014

great location , clean rooms, comfortable beds and experience. friendly, knowledgeable, helpful staff , highly recommended, good Hilton honors program, ample parking, breakfast was cooked to order and relatively quick

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family