“Nice Hotel”

Comfort Suites Merrillville
Ranked #9 of 22 Hotels in Merrillville
Reviewed January 30, 2012

Easy to get to, clean, comfortable, nice breakfast.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Jonathan L

Reviewed November 14, 2011

We stayed two nights. We changed rooms after the first night because the close proximity to the interstate caused a less than peaceful sleep night for me, a normally sound sleeper. In fairness, my spouse heard no noise. And, if the a/c or heat had been on all night, it certainly would have deadened the noise.

The second night we stayed in room 205. It was an exceedingly windy evening and night. In the couple of hours before we went to bed, we kept hearing some sort of creaking or cracking sound (a perfect sound for a creepy Halloween evening!). I could only think to compare the sound to a slightly loose piece of plastic siding. However, the building materials outside around the window did not appear to be any siding. We opened/closed the sliding window, and the sound seemed to abate some. The sound did not keep me from going to sleep or from sleeping all night. I did report the odd sound to the front desk person in the morning.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Gramps45
Reviewed October 30, 2011

The room was very clean. Bedding was comfortable with nice linens. The rooms were called suites, however, it only consists of a small couch and a partial divider from the bed area. The TV is in the bed area so actually the couch is useless unless you are needing additional bedding for a large party. There is a small microwave and refrigerator. The furnishings seem to be relatively new. The heating unit worked quite well. You can hear the interstate traffic going by but unless you are an extremely light sleeper, you won't notice it. The swimming pool is adequate, but my daughter thought the water was quite cool. The continental breakfast was adequate and had several items in a large room.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank E4178
Reviewed September 10, 2011

We arrived early & were allowed to go ahead & check in. The front desk manager told us that at that time the only room they had was by the elevator. We were concerned that there might be elevator noise all night but heard absolutely nothing, which was fantastic as we are light sleepers. Our king room was clean, roomy & comfortable, especially the bed & pillows. The bathroom was very large although the shower water pressure left a little to be desired. The location is convenient to shopping and entertainment and is a great value for the price. The breakfast was fine although the OJ was very watered down. The air conditioning wouldn't shut off automatically even when the correct temperature was reached so we were constantly turning it off/on to regulate the comfort level of our room.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DDDFJD
Reviewed July 20, 2011

The room was very clean, and looked newly renovated (the mattress on the sofa bed was still in plastic). Furnishings were of good quality and the beds were very comfortable. The pool was nice, and the breakfast pretty good for a free breakfast. We would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 12, 2011

The first time I stayed here was a week in May 2011.

The room was clean, the AC worked nicely, the Wi-Fi connection was stable and good. The biggest issue I had with the hotel at this time was that the key cards would keep erasing themselves...so I would get all the way to my room and find that my card doesn't work... It became routine to get my card reprogrammed before I went to my room.

Also, the fridge was obnoxiously loud and the smoke detector would chirp loudly once every 90(ish) minutes.

I chalked it up as just an okay stay. It wasn't so bad that I wouldn't stay again at that point.

The SECOND time I came back to IN, I decided to stay here again...figuring I would give it another chance...
This stay was also a week in duration during July 2011.

The first room I had the toilet would flush itself every 45(ish) minutes...I requested a different room after four flushes and my attempting to fix it; I consider myself to be a handyman of sorts. No luck, the diaphragm inside the flush tank was just too old and needed to be replaced.

The second room I was in had an exceptionally loud AC...with a compressor that would have a locked rotor when it was coming off of the standby mode while operating; for anyone that doesn't know what this sounds like...it is terribly loud. The other issue with the AC was the face panel was vibrating like mad...I used some folded up paper to secure it and silence it.

Also in this second room...the sink in the bathroom doesn't drain rapidly...room service should surely know this is an issue...assuming they clean the bathroom...

All in all...it is a hotel that is not representative of the other Comfort Inns that I have stayed in. I think its issues stem from poor management.

Would I stay there a third time. No.

Room Tip: Even number rooms are on the sunset side.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank onebigfellah
comfortsuitesmerrill, Webmaster at Comfort Suites Merrillville, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thanks for staying at the Comfort Inn, Merrillville during your recent visit to our area.

We appreciate your review and the observations. We will surely take them for improvement.

We are addressing your observations for further improvement and you shall definitely find the difference during your next visit.

We await your earliest next trip to our area and promise a nice stay with us.

Hotel Manager.

Reviewed June 27, 2011

We stayed one night this weekend. The hotel was almost completely full, with just a few rooms left. We had a king suite with a sofa bed on the 3rd floor. Everything about this hotel was clean, even the elevator. There is not one cleanliness issue I could complain about. The only problem with our room was that the vanity lightbulb was out making it a little difficult to put contacts in or apply makeup. However..... it was no big deal. We did not use the pool or hot tub, but they looked clean and refreshing. We had the complimentary breakfast and it was fabulous. The employee kept everything tidy and filled. The sausage biscuits and gravy was to die for! We would stay here again in a heart beat. Great area!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends