“Wow what formations. Nice waterfall.”

Squire Boone Caverns
Ranked #1 of 3 things to do in Mauckport
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Squire Boone Caverns is a natural wonder attraction that provides guests a respite from their plugged-in, technology heavy lives. Squire Boone, American pioneer and legend, discovered the caverns in 1790 and soon built a thriving settlement centered around Boone's Mill, which is still operating today. Rich in history and geological wonders, guests to the Caverns will leave with plans to visit again and again. Along with the cave tour and Historic Boone's Mill, activities at the Caverns include: Indiana's Largest Rock Shop and Gem-Mining Sluice, the Soap Shop, Hannah Boone's Candle Shop, homemade sweets and savory lunch options at the kitchen and a nature trail to simply take some time out. For the adventurous, make a reservation for the Squire Boone Caverns Zipline Adventure. The tree-top canopy course is family-friendly (a smaller zipline course is available for those who may not meet the height requirements). The complete tour through the beautiful grounds at Squire Boone Caverns includes 6 canopy zip lines and a swinging suspension bridge. Squire Boone Caverns Zipline Adventures is ACCT (Association for Challenge Course Technology) certified for installation, maintenance and operation, so you can feel secure and concentrate on having fun!
Reviewed November 10, 2012 via mobile

During our weekend if caving, stopped here. Took the first tour of the day 10:00. There were five of us on the tour guided by Sarah . The spiral steps to get down to cave level were tough. But once down was greAt. WAtery cave, slippery in spots, just watch where you are going. Squire boone's coffin is actually in the cave. My 8 yr old loved that fact& seeing it. They are planning on expanding & opening up a new section of the cave in the near future. Will have to come back to check it out.
Tip: I did a dealsaver online for bogo adult admission& had a coupon for $2 off the child price.
If you cannot do steep steps 70+ then I would not recommend this cave.

Great gift shop @ very reasonable prices.
The village part was closed due to it being off season.
Cats are everywhere. Friendly, loved to be petted.

1  Thank phislamajama
There are newer reviews for Squire Boone Caverns

Reviewed November 7, 2012

Has went down hill. They quiet the wagon rides and they need more resubmits The mill is a good place, The food at the restaurant the roast beef was so tuff it strangled me when it got caught in my thought

Reviewed November 3, 2012

This place is awesome to take your youngsters to learn about natural wonders of the US....highly recommend!!

Reviewed October 15, 2012

Squire Boone Caverns is on the small side when compared to some other caves in the area, but it makes up for it by being very rich in things to see AND by being more than just a cave. Unlike some other tours where you see something interesting than walk 5 minutes to see the next thing, there is ALWAYS a neat formation or cool water fall to see during the entire walk. Small isn't always bad. Our group ranged from 7 years old to 85 years old, and if there had been many more steps it may have been too much for some of them.

Pay close attention to the web site for when the historical village is open. We thought it was open on weekends in October, but were incorrect. That left us with over an hour to kill before the tour. Luckily they have a playground, a pen of goats you can feed and pet, and hiking trails. The time went by very quickly.

The staff, especially Sarah, was very friendly and helpful. I didn't realize I qualified for a discount, but she asked and saved me $40 on admissions. Police, firefighters, EMTs, and military qualify for a pretty deep discount. I was very impressed. Sarah also gave a great tour, and answered all the questions put to her with good humor.

The gift shop was reasonably priced, although I don't know if that was for the off season or if that's standard. Candies, cheap toys, and the other standard gift shop fare was represented. For less than $10 we got a bow and (suction cup) arrow set and a dozen sticks of rock candy.

The bathrooms were clean and easy to access.

My only complaint is the spiral staircase down really needs better lighting or reflective stripes on the edge of the stairs. My grandmother had real trouble going down because several spots are so dark she couldn't see where the steps ended. They don't mind if you take your own flashlight, so if you have older folks or those with poorer eyesight, that's probably a good idea.

Reviewed September 30, 2012

We recieved a gift card for Squire Boone Caverns as a wedding gift so we figured we would try it out. Compared to other caves this really isn't much.

You have to walk down a spiral staircase with 73 steps to get in and out of the cave. Once in the cave you walk about 50 yards into the cave and then turn around and walk back out the same way. There was another tour that passed ours and we all had to squish up against the walls to let the other tours pass. My husband, daughter and I were at the end of our tour and it was very hard to hear what the tour guide was saying. At one point, when we met up with another group, they decided to turn the lights completely out. Considering we were at the end of the tour we weren't aware they were about to do that. It would have been nice to know as my 6 year old daughter freaked out at bit, rightfully so, when it became pitch black.

There is a little "village" on the property with a candle making shop, soap shop, rock store, etc. Unfortunately after Labor Day all these shops close so we weren't able to check them out.

If you go to Squire Boone, just be prepared for a slippery, metal, staircase of 73 steps. My family is all in good shape so we didnt' have difficulty managing it, but there were some others in our group that were huffin' and puffin' quite a bit.