“Inept front desk personnel” 1 of 5 bubbles

Best Western Martinsville Inn
Best Western Martinsville Inn
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Martinsville
Chicago, Il
“Inept front desk personnel”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2013 via mobile

Paid for two nights booked on a "discount" website. I informed the clerk upon check in that I had two different reservation codes and asked if I would be staying in the same room both nights to which he responded that it would be ok. I paid a much higher price for the second nights stay, which was supposed to be for an upgraded room with a jacuzzi in it. While I was out during the day they were apparently frantically trying to contact me about the room change. They didn't have my phone number, apparently not-so-hot-wire doesn't share this information with the hotel and the hotel doesn't make a point of obtaining it on check in. I only learned of this debacle when I checked out. So I was robbed, paid for a room I didn't get. They threw out my food thinking I was gone even though my clothes were still hanging in the closet.
Room was dusty of the sort that hasn't been cleaned in a long time and smelled mildewy, most likely from the dated and dirty carpet. Breakfast was so meager, no fruit whatsoever. This is what you're paying for in the inflated room rate.
Only stay at this property if it's a last resort and don't expect much.

Stayed November 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Peoria IL
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2013

We booked this for the IU parents weekend due to the lack of availability and outrageous prices in Bloomington. This is a motel that's worth maybe $89 per night or less, that increased their rate to $149++ for the parents weekend Saturday. Not atypical.

This is a dated property, but reasonably clean, well located just off the highway and quiet. The sheets were well used, and the bed overly soft for my taste, but we had a comfortable night.

Breakfast offered a few cereals, yoghurt, bagels and bread and the usual coffee, juice, etc. Nothing great, but adequate. The staff at the desk was friendly and all in all, we had a good stay.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Nashville, Tennessee
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

I stayed at the Best Western Martinsville Inn for one night Saturday 8/17/2013. The property itself is a 1970's\1980's building. My room had a single king bed. The furniture and carpets were very dated and the room had the odor of cigarette smoke even though it was a no smoking room. The light fixtures were adequate, however the bathroom and separate sink-area were very small verging on claustrophobic. I couldn't get the air conditioner to stay on, however, the staff were prompt to assist when I brought this to their attention and resolved the problem quickly. The room is next to an internal staircase and I was able to hear people talking, going up and down stairs without effort - the walls are thin. The breakfast nook is so small that people literally were bumping into each other so my best guess is the gratis breakfast service was an add-on and was put in as an afterthought. All and all it was not a pleasant stay and I am happy it was only a single night. By the way, the rate was extremely high (almost US$120 plus tax for the night). If I had it to do again I would stay elsewhere.

Room Tip: Pick a room as far away from the stairway as possible.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank bnajf

Travelers are raving about these Martinsville hotels

Libertyville, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013

We stopped on our way to a college visit to Indiana University. wanted to stay a little out of town. We spotted the Best Western, thrilled by the price and how clean the Hotel was. Larry at the counter was very helpful and pleasant! We enjoyed our stay!! The only complaint we had is we missed the free breakfast while being one of the only hotel guests!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Martinsville, Indiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

I was ready to write a good review for the Best Western in Martinsville, but I feel that I have to mention the fact that, on the last night of our stay, we found two bed bugs (one on my husband's pajamas and one crawling on the blanket). I immediately googled "bed bugs" to see photos and they looked exactly like the ones we found, so we are sure they were bed bugs. We were glad this happened on the last night, but still, we were shaken up and really concerned.

About the hotel, I liked the room, which was very comfortable, with microwave oven and mini fridge (no freezer), two tables, two chairs, one dresser, one very nice desk with chair. The room was nicely decorated. The bathroom was small but clean, the closet had full-size mirrors.

The breakfast room was full of natural light and breakfast was simple but good (hot items, cereal, yogurt, fruit cups, bread, etc.)

The location of this hotel is very convenient, off 37 and withing walking distance to stores and restaurants.

The staff was helpful and courteous.

If it had not been for the bed bugs, I would have been very happy with this hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Indiana_Brown
Davidson, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013

I stayed at the Best Western in Martinsville for two nights during a race weekend. The room was clean and inexpensive and the staff was friendly and helpful. Unfortunately, the beds were just not comfortable. And I wasn't the only one in our group who woke up with a back crick and that tired feeling. New, more plush mattresses would go a long way in improving the customer experience.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Portage, Indiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013

We were staying here because there was nowhere closer to McCormick's Creek State Park in Spencer, Indiana. I don't normally stay at Best Western but I feel like they are trying to come around and upgrade their hotels. I like to give second chances.

This place desperately needs more work. A few of the rooms we had smelled horribly; we couldn't figure out if it was smoke or animal smells? They do accept pets but if the carpet is already stained then how do you get the stink out?

It was definitely substandard as far as toiletries went and I had to ask for more towels (as always). The upstairs hallway was so hot. I think there was an elevator but it was easier to use the stairs.
There is no pool and you know, the Super 8, has one except it was booked solid. Now we know why.

The breakfast hours were strange and the waffle maker was completely useless. We had to practically beg the man to let us make our kids something at 9 am (it closed then) and he actually asked the ages of our kids (all 12 by the way). He deemed them worthy and allowed us. No waffles, only bagels. We were almost finished and another family came into eat "after the allotted time" and you best believe, he made it known they really were not that welcome. It was crazy.

While it was fairly convenient, next time I will bite the bullet with price and stay near Bloomington in a newer hotel. This Best Western was a disappointment.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Martinsville
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Martinsville
Hilton Garden Inn Bloomington
Hilton Garden Inn Bloomington
#2 of 24 in Bloomington
Homewood Suites by Hilton Bloomington

Been to Best Western Martinsville Inn? Share your experiences!